Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #5471
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

4 18's would uncomplicated things but sacrifice of space. These enclosures aren't small lol.

I am really digging whats depicted in the picture. Could I take my TL design, Face the driver upwards, and fold the Terminus over the top of the driver? I'm not sure exactly what slot entails...I'm guess I could keep the terminus and still some how slot load the driver?

I need to find a different supplier then....

Last edited by camplo; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #5472
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Uncomplicating things is usually a really good idea. With 4 18's you get the performance of two 18s in a TL which is a complication. The TL is harder to build and it might not come out precisely as modeled.

Four 18's up front like I drew (mine are 15's) does indeed look impressive. I've done the drawings and built the woofers but I've never lifted the 2nd woofer on top of the stack out of fear for my back. I've found I'm satisfied with just the lower woofer working with subs out in the room.

I don't see why you couldn't add slot loading to the TL, but I think its an unnecessary complication. At the XO frequency being considered, CTC isn't an issue. It does minimize the height for a MTM stack but its not necessary to get a lobe free forward beam at the XO we are talking about.

If keeping things simple becomes your goal and 4 18's up front is within the realm of possibility, then consider side by side direct radiator woofers below the horn. I think the pair of 18" woofers will be a good match to the horn in both width and height for a better directivity match at XO. That can be made to work well aesthetically as it did for JBL back in the day.

Size shouldn't be an issue with sealed TD18s, definitely would be for bass reflex.
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #5473
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Right now you've got me interested in slot loading the 15M in a sealed box. I don't know how to model this in hornresp though. What type of effect is the slot going to have on the FR.

Currently I am dedicated to the TL. I mean that if I build it and don't get it right, I will not give up until it is right, which is pretty much standard when building a TL thats never been built before.

Quote:
I don't see why you couldn't add slot loading to the TL, but I think its an unnecessary complication. At the XO frequency being considered, CTC isn't an issue. It does minimize the height for a MTM stack but its not necessary to get a lobe free forward beam at the XO we are talking about.
CAn we talk about this....are you suuuure? How am I figuring this? I might have used xdir to confused myself but at 250hz from the center of the 15" to the center of the horn will be....18.5-20"...I am not talking about mtm though.

Last edited by camplo; Today at 01:18 AM.
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #5474
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

A slot loaded woofer is modeled as an offset driver horn. A pure slot is such a horn with no expansion. But if you build it as I did as a very high aspect ratio conical horn it will play higher. You can see the HR model and the effect on the FR in post #3 of my Companion Woofer thread.

I agree with direct radiators you will get 20", about 500 mm, or less CTC. Here is what XDIR showed me

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?-slot-loaded-vs-direct-radiator-beamwidth-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slot loaded vs direct radiator beamwidth.jpg (132.1 KB, 39 views)
Old Today, 06:31 AM   #5475
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Do I need 4?
Based on all that I've read [not all], the 'tone' of your project eschews Synergy concept, so I meant multiple compression drivers on a combiner/phase plug attached to a suitable horn with one full range and three low passed to get the necessary extra power handling to get down to 150/whatever Hz you want/need to make a nominally two way system.

I just said [4], I haven't researched it; may need more to keep excursion at a < 1/2 power for high SQ. Otherwise Synergy concept, my preference for all things high SQ, till something better comes along of course.

GM

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!