Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2020, 12:08 PM   #5411
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

How does one test the limits of a compression driver without damaging it?

How good are The Jubilees today? - Page 36 - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Last edited by camplo; 14th February 2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 14th February 2020, 03:38 PM   #5412
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid View Post

Have you ever measured off axis to see how far it holds true?

Hi fluid, i take it you are asking how square waves hold up off axis, since you know i make a gazillion off axis dual channel FFT measurements.

The handful of times I've tried square waves, there was an easy to see pattern moving off axis.
The number of frequencies that had nice square waves decreased substantially vs on axis.
Certain frequencies would still look great, but the overall consistency varied alot.

I guess I'd call the estimated percentage of frequencies that are square as my method of off axis evaluation. (against the on axis estimated good percentage) ....pure gut estimations....

This "percentage variance" was much greater off axis than what I would expect from dual FFT mag and phase traces that held up pretty well at the same off axis spots.

That's the basis for saying square waves are even a tougher test than FFT.
Old 14th February 2020, 03:58 PM   #5413
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
How does one test the limits of a compression driver without damaging it?
Like somebody said, keep cranking till harmonic distortion rises..
I tried that with the dcx464 and bms 4594he, wanting to find out why i thought i was hearing distress at very high SPL. B&C DCX464

That said, i'd highly encourage folks to take the time to check out Art's excellent compression driver test. High Frequency Compression Driver Evaluation

And then read his last post in the DCX464 thread #278, where he discusses hearing TTS (temporary threshold shift)
B&C DCX464.

Art's test, my own plodding tests/research, etc etc...are convincing me Geddes has been right that THD doesn't really matter...at least fairly certainly not in short term listening.

Long term listening,... maybe THD and high SPL are both components of TTS...would love to know...help save both my ears and $$
Old 14th February 2020, 04:49 PM   #5414
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

my own experience with ribbons of nearly identical design BUT one showing an order of magnitude higher THD say it doesnt matter as much as we would like to believe. At least in the example ( and possibly the specific distortion producing mechanism ? ) in the example I have.

Last edited by lowmass; 14th February 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 14th February 2020, 07:15 PM   #5415
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyuser2010 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Not overkill, in my opinion.
Is this WAF approved?
I like it btw, reminds me of Mark 100
Old 14th February 2020, 07:43 PM   #5416
diyuser2010 is offline diyuser2010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Is this WAF approved?
I like it btw, reminds me of Mark 100

No approval needed.

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:45 PM   #5417
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyuser2010 View Post
No approval needed.

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
An additional question: "Or isn't there any W involved?", was deleted from my post.

Recently I came across a thread on another forum about the JBL M2/4367, in which someone stated: "My wife would never allow those coffins in our living room."

Another member subtly replied: "Tell her to stay in the kitchen where she belongs."

Last edited by Ro808; 14th February 2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 15th February 2020, 05:45 AM   #5418
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
Hi fluid, i take it you are asking how square waves hold up off axis, since you know i make a gazillion off axis dual channel FFT measurements.
Yes

Camplo, I have added some textbook crossover slopes onto the Axi2050 in a JMLC 250 Horn measurement to give you an idea of what they look like. The rolloff shown in the bare measurement is very close to LR48 300Hz, for comparison there is an LR24 at 300Hz. I think 300Hz is quite achievable with that driver, 200Hz would be more of a stretch and could be output limited if that is an issue. The impedance peak shown on Celestions website on their horn is around 250Hz so pushing below there might be more problematic.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?-axi-xo-overlay-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axi XO Overlay.jpg (78.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #5419
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The impedance peak shown on Celestions website on their horn is around 250Hz so pushing below there might be more problematic... if using their horn.
Or at least thats what I'd like to think, I'd take 250hz tbh, 150hz would be better =)
Old 15th February 2020, 09:09 PM   #5420
fluid is offline fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Or at least thats what I'd like to think, I'd take 250hz tbh, 150hz would be better =)
Let's see when you build it and take an impedance measurement. Then you can decide for yourself from actual data if it will work

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!