Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:28 AM   #5301
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much for this! My monitor died so I can’t reply in the fashion that I’d like or run horn resp. I’m currently shopping for a new screen.

So thanks for you input, it is needed desperately lol. The people on Martin Kong’s forum can’t get over the freq curve of the woofer and how it’s like 6db higher in the midrange lol I tell them it’s not the average driver but it doesn’t sink in and they my enclosure is not right. They did help me edge along to trying new ideas which got me here so...

I think you think the 18h+ is crossing to the Axi, it’s crossing to 15m

Also, your graphs have step and impulse response? I’ve been trying to figure out the difference for a long time? Care to explain?

Last edited by camplo; Today at 12:31 AM.
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #5302
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the typos, my phone post are the worst. Martin King is the name I meant to type.

If anyone else wants to try and design a TL for the 18 in horn resp, go for it. 30hz 115db 15xmax well damped are the minimum requirements, if you can improve on that, so be it.

If you could do an impulse/step sim for my first TL design, that’d be awesome
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #5303
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

mathematically, the step response is the integral of the impulse response.
Intuitively, though, think of a step as a driver cone going instantaneously from center to maximum excursion and staying there. But you can't hold the cone at maximum excursion unless response is flat down to DC. So in a wideband system, the step response is (or should be) a sharp initial rise followed by a slow decay, i.e. triangular, the slower the decay the lower the bass response extends.

Common wisdom is impulse response shows mainly HF response and presence of delayed reflections. (In the TL, you see the reflections from the ends of the transmission line.) Step response shows the bass response.

Using both TD15M and TD18H+? then its not a 2-way!
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #5304
diyAudio Member

Thank you for explaining, first time I’ve found a laymen’s definition. The 18h+ is the subwoofer so it can be argue both ways! From 30hz to 100hz is initial starting point for crossover.

A few pages back I posted a design with 3D model. Can you run this design in your programs please? This design is much more a classic TL and much more dampened...maybe the results can provide useful information about what even more damping does to the response. This design is still more efficient than a sealed box....if it leads to better sound quality then I’d resort to a design more like it.

Last edited by camplo; Today at 04:35 AM.
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #5305
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
The names are silly btw....its all just a Horn to me......
Technically, they're all just 1/4 WL TLs, the names are just for us to have a clue what type is being referred to.

GM
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #5306
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
A few pages back I posted a design with 3D model. Can you run this design in your programs please? This design is much more a classic TL and much more dampened...maybe the results can provide useful information about what even more damping does to the response. This design is still more efficient than a sealed box....if it leads to better sound quality then Iíd resort to a design more like it.
Can you post the HR filling screen for this model ? That why I'll be able to match your results...
Old Today, 06:11 PM   #5307
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Not to disrupt or interfere with the debate on TLs, but I came across another 2-way system worth mentioning. Even though it won't hit 115 dB, it's a rather straightforward design and therefore seems like a proper candidate for a DIY clone.

Previously, another loudspeaker of the same brand was discussed, the Spatial X5, that uses the FaitalPro HF10AK + XT1086 and 12 + 15" Eminence Deltalite woofers.

The X1 is (was?) Spatial's top model, a 2-way dipole system featuring the 18Sound XT1464 + customized Radian 950Be PB with open back and AE Dipole 18".
The most intriguing aspect of the X1 is the wideband application of the horn driver combo, 300Hz - 20kHz!

The XT1464 looses pattern control around 600Hz and doesn't load the driver very well below 500Hz.
Yet, according to Clayton Shaw of Spatial Audio, there wasn't any noticable difference between 300 and 600Hz... Interesting.
The SPL limit of the AE Dipole 18 is 110 dB, which in practice means the Be diaphragm rarely sees more than 1 Watt.

The X1 received some raving reviews, topped off by the attendee of LAAS 2017 who asked to buy the complete demo system, which was delivered and set up right away. Nevertheless, the X1 appears to be NLA, as there's no reference to the speaker on the company's website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spatial-rossi-laas-4.jpg (86.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg spatial-rossi-laas-6.jpg (170.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg spatial-rossi-laas-7.jpg (92.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg spatial-rossi-laas-9.jpg (110.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Radian+with+screen+-rough+render+2.jpg (261.2 KB, 47 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stereoplay06-2016.pdf (894.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Ro808; Today at 06:16 PM.
Old Today, 09:26 PM   #5308
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
Can you post the HR filling screen for this model ? That why I'll be able to match your results...
Itís 100% length fill, and fill until you xmax crosses 115db at 777watts. When I hook another monitor and try to get the screen shot.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!