Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2020, 08:08 AM   #5291
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
system efficiency vs potential power compression but 777watts is the desired max volume at 115db, so 110db is around 300watts and thats at half space and only one of two. The RMS is 1000watts... I don't think power compression is going to be an issue, considering even common lower playback volume like 100db divided between the two subs. I wonder if AE will share the power compression specs.
Please Export your HR file, I tried several different ~aperiodic alignments and none could get to 115 dB/29 Hz/Xmax.

GM
Old 18th January 2020, 09:02 AM   #5292
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

You probably didn't try a small enough CSA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aPtl.jpg (81.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 18th January 2020, 06:21 PM   #5293
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

A TL has much less resistance and reactance inside the enclosure than a quarter wave TL....internal pressure isn’t an issue with under sizing, bass response and efficiency is the issue. I came to this conclusion after looking at the acoustical impedance. I can’t see acoustic impedance while using fill material, but fill increases Xmax and lowers group delay so that’s a good tell.
Old 18th January 2020, 06:52 PM   #5294
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You probably didn't try a small enough CSA
This isn't your Exported file........ No, what with all your preoccupation with impedance I was designing for flattest impedance, but for lowest Qt, B0$3 and others have shown that a 2:1 CR for point source drivers is the point of diminishing returns, so yours is a bit too large .

GM
Old 18th January 2020, 06:54 PM   #5295
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A TL has much less resistance and reactance inside the enclosure than a quarter wave TL.....
??? All TLs have a 1/4 WL fundamental.

GM
Old 18th January 2020, 07:31 PM   #5296
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A quarter wave TL has much less resistance and reactance inside the enclosure than a Bass Reflex....internal pressure isnít an issue with under sizing, bass response and efficiency is the issue. I came to this conclusion after looking at the acoustical impedance. I canít see acoustic impedance while using fill material, but fill increases Xmax and lowers group delay so thatís a good tell.
Sorry and thank you ye wise man of the TL

Quote:
lowest Qt, B0$3 and others have shown that a 2:1 CR for point source drivers is the point of diminishing returns
What!? How come no ones talking about this!?

Last edited by camplo; 18th January 2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 18th January 2020, 07:49 PM   #5297
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! Dunno, I've posted it when apropos, even done it recently IIRC, though don't recall in which forum.

GM
Old 18th January 2020, 08:07 PM   #5298
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I also started playing another perspective. The most efficient, undampened, massloaded "TL" I can design with a desirable FR gets me 119db/30hz/400watts/12xmax which turns out to be 150watts /6xmax/115db, it has a higher acoustical resistance but lower than what is more a "bass reflex". The names are silly btw....its all just a Horn to me, and easier to organize my thoughts this way...I digress....the reactance is much lower than the bass reflex.

If I were to try and find the middle road of my two designs...maybe. Sounds difficult but maybe a little. Final response would be contingent on proper Fill application where as with the two former mentioned designs, its either no fill....or pack the **** out of it....I'm exaggerating of course but I think you see what I mean.

I think if I can find the middle road it would be best. So far, most designs are around 270-300 liters.

Last edited by camplo; 18th January 2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #5299
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I present Acoustic Elegance 18H+ MLTL.....As I continue to scrutinize the scrutiny😁, I present to you, my latest....This is a hybrid of my first design ( which turns out to be the most dampened TL I've made, able to hit 115db@30hz@14xmax@777watts, with a smooth FR and really low impedance) and a follow up, reverse philosophy design (that is the most efficient of my designs, undampened, MLTL, with smooth FR, able to hit 115db@30hz@7mm@116watts)...The latest design hits 115db@30hz@10mm@276watts, smooth frequency response and low impedance. This design looks like a lot less folding but the bends will be large. 320 liters is a little large than the first 2 designs.The dampening required to get pictured impedance is much less than the first TL. Un-dampened, the frequency response is still usable, doing 115db@30hz@7mm@128watts....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLTL.jpg (333.1 KB, 69 views)

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!