Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Bass guitars can make other noise the don't involve plucking if you are familiar....I don't play bass so I dont know the correct term for when a bassist bumps the strings to create a LF bump....if you are a musician you know what I am talking about it...bassist are known to use their hands to create percussive notes. In the video the "bass bump" ie the percussive note the bassist is creating, is at about centered slightly above 20hz according what the rta looks like,

For a free lessen turn on just your sub and watch the bassist's hands during the groove I time cued. Its on 2 and 4

Last edited:
@fluid - I think the aspect I am trying to describe is likely an issue of summing and polar radiation size and location. Side firing woofers aren't going to sum as well as having a single or single like source on the front baffle unless the width is much shorter than my 32" cabinets. The closer you get the sources together the better. Having the highs/mids/bass appearing from a single point is the goal.
Also.....As I eq and get a better transfer function....the speakers are seeming to disappear into each other. So without hearing the best of both, I cannot say anything with authority, I also know that time alignment and phase correction the scenario gets better. Still the localization of midbass is going to put MTM at an advantage. Playing a 50hz tone through my system and believing that if I had two side firing woofers separated by 32inchs and its going to sound as well. Sounds like a stretch. Even with using multiple subwoofers to achieve a flat FR is compromise to the stereo image, if thinking in ultimates.

So why would having 2 sources up front covering 20-20khz perfectly not be better than 4 sources, being, the front 2 cover 20-20khz perfectly and the rear 2 cover 80-20hz just to help out....for some unknown reason...

How are there 2 rights?

I disagree about subs not being apart of the image....How shall I prove myself wrong?

When you say masked I wonder what the means. Im pretty sure, for example, if we listen to the bass solo...its going to sound like the deep bass is coming from every place there is a sub lol

depending on how the subs are leveled, you could move the bass to the front or back of the room. Its taping into 3d sound recreation but only 2d material being used.

I agree, and tread lightly, but I am not going to pretend like I cant tell where my subs are in the room. I have 2 subs currently available for experimentation, what should I try?

I believe that atmos systems are proof enough sub woofers are apart of the image, and that sub location matters. Its literally how they create the 3d sound image, full spectrum. Having 2 stereo mains and surrounding your self with subs is a move towards 3d, not stereo. You have 3d bass but stereo mids and treble

Last edited:
I agree, and tread lightly, but I am not going to pretend like I cant tell where my subs are in the room. I have 2 subs currently available for experimentation, what should I try?
Filter the sub with the crossover and listen to that only with eyes closed and "see" if you can locate it. If you can then measure the output and check if the sub is making any noises or anything that your brain can lock onto the position of.

I struggle to see what the point is when you intend to put the subs underneath the mid in any case.

Filter the sub with the crossover and listen to that only with eyes closed and "see" if you can locate it.

If one does that, then make sure that it is music that you listen to not sine waves. A steady state LF sine wave can be localized once the ear looks-in on the signal and that exaggerates the effect. Your perception of this case is many times greater than with music where there isn't enough time for the brain to lock-in.

The experiment to do is to point your ear at the sub and note when you couldn't tell if the sub as coming from the left or right.....
My speakers are sitting 1/3 onto one side of the room, facing the other 2/3rds....If I backup near the wall where you get bass boundary effect, I can actually find a spot where the side of ear facing away from the speaker has louder spl, on mic and my ear. Yet the other parts of the signal not in the mode lead me to the driver with no issues.....

would it be fair to say, that under certain conditions, one cannot locate sub bass?
1643673421458.png

Attachments

• 1643673510666.png
    1643673510666.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
would it be fair to say, that under certain conditions, one cannot locate sub bass?
With music, I would say yes, but one caveat is that with certain signals it may be possible. But for the most part, in small rooms like we are talking, it's a non-issue to me.

My system localizes superbly, even the bass, but I cannot localize the sub locations themselves. Any more than I can localize the mains themselves. A "good" system just does not do that.