Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2019, 02:26 PM   #4731
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
OK so this is a strange question to ask, but here we are lol! In one hand I have a TL enclosure with low efficiency but the impedance is lower than a normal sized TL...

In the other hand, a more efficient sealed box or a even more efficient ported box.

Either way power is fine. I'm wondering how does impedance play a role in thermal compression and if it make sense to build this inefficent TL for everything else it gains...
So far as I understand your current intention is to use a quite narrow radiating horn. IMHO the best combination with this is dipole LF part with it's radiation character like an 8. So, either an H-frame, U-frame, Y-frame dipole or something similar like WE 7331A which is lifted somewhat from the floor. I heard the WE 7331A in Munich at high end fair and was really really surprised how much bass substance it is able to reproduce. Even too much for some people.

Or as I already stated a front loaded woofer with an U-frame chamber at the back or even a straight Karlson tube at the back. Your compression driver need to be highly tamed in the MF region to have equal levels up to 10k-20k. So, you will not need such a high efficient LF part. A TL is a quite complex thing and you cannot calculate everything in advance because the stuffing is difficult. The sound of a bass reflex is not my cup of tea.
Old 8th December 2019, 02:04 AM   #4732
tnargs is offline tnargs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Another interesting driver I've been playing with is the Dayton PS65LP.

Dayton Audio PS65LP-4 6-1/2" Ultra Efficient Low Profile Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm

Very nice neutral detailed sound. Impressive off-axis performance as well.
The contradictions in the title of that link made me smile. First wince, then smile.
Old 8th December 2019, 02:13 AM   #4733
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
The contradictions in the title of that link made me smile. First wince, then smile.
It can only meet it's sensitivity spec above 1KHz.
Old 8th December 2019, 06:55 AM   #4734
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's probably a decent driver, but those specs.....
Even 95dB would have been optimistic.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th December 2019, 07:51 AM   #4735
diyAudio Member

Width = 123cm, Height = 213cm.
Xo: 233Hz
Sensitivity: about 103dB

Old 8th December 2019, 07:58 AM   #4736
diyAudio Member

MkII (3 instead of 4 woofers and horn moved to the top).

Old 8th December 2019, 08:51 AM   #4737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
OK so this is a strange question to ask, but here we are lol! In one hand I have a TL enclosure with low efficiency but the impedance is lower than a normal sized TL...

In the other hand, a more efficient sealed box or a even more efficient ported box.

Either way power is fine. I'm wondering how does impedance play a role in thermal compression and if it make sense to build this inefficent TL for everything else it gains...

Based on sims in hornresp?
A TL with a (considerably) lower efficiency than either a sealed or ported cab for the same driver is propably overstuffed.
Did you read the short thread I referred to a few days ago?

Impedance in itself doesn't affect thermal compression.
Thermal power compression is the result of the rise in voice coil resistance which accompanies coil heating due to inefficiency of power transfer.
Efficiency is always a good thing, but modern, less efficient (mostly subwoofer) drivers feature specific cooling solutions in their magnet structure.

The TH18+ isn't comparable to such airpumps.

Last edited by Ro808; 8th December 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 8th December 2019, 03:48 PM   #4738
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Overdamped, gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docali View Post
So far as I understand your current intention is to use a quite narrow radiating horn. IMHO the best combination with this is dipole LF part with it's radiation character like an 8. So, either an H-frame, U-frame, Y-frame dipole or something similar like WE 7331A which is lifted somewhat from the floor. I heard the WE 7331A in Munich at high end fair and was really really surprised how much bass substance it is able to reproduce. Even too much for some people.

Or as I already stated a front loaded woofer with an U-frame chamber at the back or even a straight Karlson tube at the back. Your compression driver need to be highly tamed in the MF region to have equal levels up to 10k-20k. So, you will not need such a high efficient LF part. A TL is a quite complex thing and you cannot calculate everything in advance because the stuffing is difficult. The sound of a bass reflex is not my cup of tea.
I'm not an expert but I will look into the topic. I've started here Dipole vs Monopole woofer
Old 8th December 2019, 04:09 PM   #4739
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Better look here with pictures:

Subwoofer Origami

The W-frame or Ripole is also very interesting if you have a low x-over.
Old 8th December 2019, 04:18 PM   #4740
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Are there any benefits of being over damped? Would a compression driver diaphragm be considered highly damped in comparison to a dynamic woofer?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!