Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 05:56 AM   #4651
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowanaudio View Post
My design.

There are some photos of the rear here:

A for Ara
Damn. You don't f*ck around. Awesome work.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:17 AM   #4652
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That WG is around 60 degrees. Mid ports are elongated. I don't follow the patents, I prototype and come to my own conclusions.
Impressive work!
Are there perhaps any clips of the synergies (with the dcx464) "in action"?
I guess some of us would love to get an impression of the way these sound. A decent smartphone or DSLR camera would suffice to capture the vocal range.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:45 AM   #4653
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi William,

Your Aras look absolutely fantastic.

One Q: Have you had a chance to compare the B&C DCX 464 to any of the Be drivers out there (e.g. Radian or TAD) - and/or to the BMS 4594HE? In that case I would really appreciate your thoughts - thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
My design.

A for Ara
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:30 AM   #4654
papasteack is offline papasteack  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mid ports are elongated. I don't follow the patents, I prototype and come to my own conclusions.
I come to the conclusion that mid chamber and port lengh can be tuned to exactly compensate for the volume of the horn so that in hornresp sim, compensating effect can be seen, and there's no more the first dip in mid response, and neither in high way. Is it about that ? I don't explain well, but if it is, you'll understand.
In my specific and maybe extreme case for example, the magic happens with 2 liters front volume for one 8" speaker only as mid, but 24cm port.
Sorry for the off-topic, i'm opportunist
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:42 AM   #4655
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk View Post
Hi William,

Your Aras look absolutely fantastic.

One Q: Have you had a chance to compare the B&C DCX 464 to any of the Be drivers out there (e.g. Radian or TAD) - and/or to the BMS 4594HE? In that case I would really appreciate your thoughts - thanks!

Best regards
Peter
I've not heard any Be drivers. I've used the BMS coax's before. Systems were too different to compare. Both drivers got the job done.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:27 AM   #4656
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for responding!

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
I've not heard any Be drivers. I've used the BMS coax's before. Systems were too different to compare. Both drivers got the job done.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:40 AM   #4657
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Damn. You don't f*ck around. Awesome work.
It's not just me, it's a small but dedicated team committed to build some very special loudspeakers.

Last edited by cowanaudio; 3rd December 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:35 AM   #4658
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, so I see! Thanks for the photos, the work is impressive and inspiring.

Interesting that you went with round ports for the woofers.
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:08 PM   #4659
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My design.

A for Ara
Respect! I dint use Insta - any other place to view them?

//
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:25 PM   #4660
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
These are the last 3 horns overlaid from @docali. I'll provide a sim for the "drba_SWH160_SF138_SE6P" (aka shark) because it's modest size and it will only get bigger with the round over. It's the middle one, the black tipped one.

P.S. The archive photo from Kolbrek&Dunkers Horn book (a fantastic book) shows how relatively modest sized the docali horn designs are. This is when they discovered how important it is to put units on the drawing.

I've been thinking about the enclosure construction, there are a lot of variations, but I feel like maybe I underestimated the amount of size I have to work with and was thinking that i might be able to use TL for the bottom and mid woofer.

I have a question about Tl's, what if I designed a TL where the volume of the Line wasn't big enough to house the Driver motors, how do you compensate for the driver chamber or is this just not recommended?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!