Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

OK so my Le is super low for Re of 12

The data you have obtained via an incorrect measurement method has those values. That doesn’t mean they’re true.

....the driver that I have probably has a resistor in its construction, and the lack of turns in the gap lead to an even lower inductance

If there was a suitably high power handling resistor in the driver, you’d see it.

The data you have obtained via an incorrect measurement method has those values. That doesn’t mean they’re true.

If there was a suitably high power handling resistor in the driver, you’d see it.

So you think the dats is the incorrect measurement method? electrical specs of the driver should be pretty straight forward....impedance, Qes, re ,le why should they be off with the DATSv3?

Last edited:
By either using a closed box of appropriate volume or by EQing that way. But IIRC you are talking about the 15" low mid that will be crossed over to your 18" woofers (making it actually a three-way). Right ? Don't forget that in this case the Qtc of this driver is no longer dominating the low-end temporal response. Your crossover to the subs and the subs themselves will also play an important role.

Regards

Charles

Q is defined at resonance - nowhere else.

Ponder that Camplio.

Q is a property of a resonance.

//

Regarding the 15.....as the response passed through its resonance area that should be critically damped as well....thats what I would think. Regardless if there is another woofer below being handed off the rest of the lf response....if I highpass the 15" near 80hz the ringing of the knee of the filter is the new resonant point and you would think it should be a critically damped slope. My compression driver on horn has a q near 0.5. seems every driver involved would want to follow suit. Maybe I turn my subs off at times and want to stay at critical damping

Q is defined at resonance - nowhere else.
- Does this mean that clipping only happens at resonance when Q is below 0.5? There is a mode at every filter knee

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Forget "clipping". The "inventor" above withdrew that statement. There isn't anything clipping in this. You are still thinking about and discussing a lot of concepts that you obviously do not understand - and still in a way that you try to pretend that you do. Probably you are still at the "top of Mt. Stupid"... how's the view from up there?

The Dunning-Kruger effect in innovation – understanding innovation

Build the darn thing - 80% of what you discuss you cant hear any difference anyways...

//

You make a false analysis, its ok because I know you mean well. Clipping is engrained in my head to mean a certain thing...in context, the decay is "clipped' but my mind keeps seeing transient peaks being chopped....

To be most effective you have to be able to move about the Dunning Kruger Scale as well know where you are on it. Its actually more important to know where you are on it than where you actually are...

But yeah now that you pretty much slapped sense into me...I get it, again....but I might be back....:witch:

We did leave out group delay.

Build the darn thing - 80% of what you discuss you cant hear any difference anyways...
theres only a few things I can do... You wonna help me figure out how to mount the horn? Remember my jbl horn mounts exit holes are not actually 2"?

Last edited:
OK I think I have a rebuttal!

Damping attenuates the signal.....As we lower Q we see it as a lowering of sensitivity in the LF.....What we have not discussed is the idea of source signal mid/hf harmonic content being attenuated....where as it will not so simply be seen in the FR....and increasing gain to the LF does not return the missing harmonic information.

Is this wrong?

If an under damped systems accentuates HF then over damped systems would attenuate HF as well, not just LF roll off.....and this information being attenuated is harmonic? The Timbre has changed and adjusting level with eq will not reestablish it?

My theory so far.

Last edited:
So much this...I gotta stop this. It makes sense now, energy cannot be created nor destroyed...the only way to continue the resonant system, "longer", is to add more energy. A mode just increases decay by effectively increasing energy (spl).

That's not what is happening. A resonance is an energy storage system, it takes more time to excite it and then more time to release it. The energy always stays constant (radiated + dissipated + stored) throughout given by the energy put in.

.which at sub 1mm excursion as we said before, Le is dominate....but how dominate? Whos number 2 in charge? I keep leaning towards Qes. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Le is never "dominate" and discussing what happens at low excursions is a nonlinear phenomena. Since you have so much trouble with linear concepts, I am afraid that nonlinear ones are going to be well above your pay-grade. Let me just say that in loudspeakers I have only rarely seen a driver with a low-displacement nonlinearity, it basically never happens (if it does the speaker will sound so bad that you would never listen to it.) Hence, I would put this aspect of your concerns behind you and move on.

Low voltage nonlinearity is common in amplifiers and is called "crossover distortion" - highly offensive. In mechanical systems it is quite rare and called "oil-canning."

OK I think I have a rebuttal!

Damping attenuates the signal.....As we lower Q we see it as a lowering of sensitivity in the LF.....What we have not discussed is the idea of source signal mid/hf harmonic content being attenuated....where as it will not so simply be seen in the FR....and increasing gain to the LF does not return the missing harmonic information.

Is this wrong?

Yes, it is wrong. Everything linear is seen in the frequency response.

Do I view Le the same no matter the Re? I'm pretty sure so...if Le influence is so strong on HF why do I commonly see a HF rise in the 16ohm version of a woofer vs the lower ohm, but Le is higher with the 16ohm version.

FaitalPRO 18FH500 16Ω for example, is it the mass?

Last edited:
Why in horn resp (in my 230l sealed box);
If I go from one driver to 2 in series HF sensitivity improves, If I continue to add woofers in series Hf starts to suffer...
If I go one driver to 2 in parallel and the whole FR sensitivity jumps up

2 in series should dbl inductance and thus lower Hf sensitivity youd think

Last edited: