Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2019, 09:30 PM   #4391
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It's quite convenient, because there's some space left to add a mounting flange. Afterwards, a loft should "close the gap".
Old 17th November 2019, 04:16 PM   #4392
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default drba_swh_300_sep_pe_rb - simulation

This is a follow up from the profile @docali provided in post #4303 Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?

This is my preferred profile. I've simulated several flavors of this, some to 16Khz. This simulation goes to 8Khz. It is very well behaved w.r.t impedance, polars, and field wavefronts. It also looks amazing.
Old 17th November 2019, 04:18 PM   #4393
diyAudio Member

.. and the observation fields
Old 17th November 2019, 04:38 PM   #4394
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It looks and performs great! It probably does not go quite as low as camplo wants (yet).
Something in between that Jerico and this might be the compromise that camplo is after?
Ah well, maybe it would be what I were after in his shoes...

I love this shape though. It seems very well behaved.
Old 17th November 2019, 04:48 PM   #4395
diyAudio Member

Agreed, the parameters for this horn require higher XO then requested. However, all the parameters are adjustable so you could go lower by making this horn larger or longer. I just like the look and performance of an ellipse with projection, roll back and merge.

Who knows, maybe the compromise is a slightly higher XO to get a smaller horn.

P.S. the idea of printing a mold then fiberglassing the horn is a great idea. I would take it a step further and suggest 1/2 symmetry mold to get better mold release and create axial flanges to join and stiffen the part. Then fill the small gap with auto body filler and spot putty.
Old 17th November 2019, 06:03 PM   #4396
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Maybe he could use the version with roll-back but with projection. The projection itself reduces the mouth diffraction effects.

Here two versions with increasing T and different stereographic projection applied and slightly lower cur-off:

drba_swh_200_pe_pf_01.JPG drba_swh_200_pe_pf14_01.JPG

drba_swh_200_sf138_pf_pe_1.zip
drba_swh_200_sf138_pf141_pe_1.zip

Btw, with progressive expansion T the cut-off value has less meaning but it still determines the construction vector.

Last edited by docali; 17th November 2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 07:29 PM   #4397
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

The horns of Jericho sim, that is of the very last iteration... Correct? For a tool, I'm loving the high directivity. All I see is a high level of direct signal and a low amount of room energy, as a result of the narrow polar. If there was a way to improve, while keeping the low loading, it would be icing on the cake.

The unique iteration above is pretty awesome too, but I can't tell what the dimensions are. I would interesting to know how big the above horn would have to be to load as low as Id like. I loaded them into Fusion360 yesterday but failed to scale it right, after I got the units correct. So the idea is to produce a horn for work and a horn that I would call "the peoples champ" ie the horn that you guys would chose if it was your system. ~630HZ is considered to be approximate center of 20hz and 20khz, so crossing there makes sense to me. Geddes called 700hz to about 7000hz hertz to be the critical range, so I'd think those ideas lend to another philosophy of ideal xover point and optimal performance.

Like you all, I have family duties and I'm not exactly laid off for the winter, yet. Headed to Lansing tomorrow actually. I really appreciate what you guys are doing for the project, I consider your time to be valuable and its really great that you'd spend some of it for my endeavor.

Last edited by camplo; 17th November 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 07:57 PM   #4398
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Geddes called 700hz to about 7000hz hertz to be the critical range, so I'd think those ideas lend to another philosophy of ideal xover point and optimal performance.
Yes, it became clear to me that the goals in this thread are a long way from mine. The Jericho horn being shown has almost no directivity control and its very wide, neither of which is what I would want. Why CD is not a desirable characteristic here is a real puzzle to me since virtually all loudspeaker designers that I know, including Linkwitz, Toole, Olive, myself all agree that CD is a virtual requirement. So ignore this goal at your own peril.
Old 17th November 2019, 08:16 PM   #4399
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Yes, it became clear to me that the goals in this thread are a long way from mine. The Jericho horn being shown has almost no directivity control and its very wide, neither of which is what I would want. Why CD is not a desirable characteristic here is a real puzzle to me since virtually all loudspeaker designers that I know, including Linkwitz, Toole, Olive, myself all agree that CD is a virtual requirement. So ignore this goal at your own peril.
I have a suggestion for you. Simply provide an appropriate STL file that fulfills camplos LF obejctives (can be crossed-over at 300-400Hz) and which has CD character. Then we will simulate it as a free-standing horn. Come on, show us that we all fail.
Old 17th November 2019, 08:22 PM   #4400
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
but I can't tell what the dimensions are.
Fair enough. Not sure how to watermark dimensions on them. These are OD.

The square horn : axial Z=56.6cm, Y=105.7cm, X=79.4cm

The Jericho horn : axial Z=90.7cm, Y=55.6cm

application - YouTube

The ellipse horn : axial Z=31.5cm, Y=75.4cm, X=44.4cm

All of them are large

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!