Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #4381
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Crowe View Post
I agree. Have you built the horn yet and taken measurements? I've done a 600Hz biradial that you may be interested in...
Joseph Crowe's DIY Speaker Building Blog: ES-600 Biradial Horn

Next week a 290Hz version goes on the CNC made from bamboo plywood. Still not 160 Hz.
I am working towards actualizing a horn. Joseph you were helping me (thank you) figure out some things early on about putting a ribbon in a horn and now that I am making moves to build my own horns for compression drivers, I can't remember why I gave up on that idea lol!
Old 16th November 2019, 06:11 PM   #4382
keith1962 is offline keith1962
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Crowe View Post
I agree. Have you built the horn yet and taken measurements? I've done a 600Hz biradial that you may be interested in...

Joseph Crowe's DIY Speaker Building Blog: ES-600 Biradial Horn

Next week a 290Hz version goes on the CNC made from bamboo plywood. Still not 160 Hz.
They look great Joseph. How low would the Axi go on the 290Hz one you are about to build? Do you think you would be able to build a 160Hz version for the Axi?
KR
Keith.
Old 16th November 2019, 06:30 PM   #4383
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
That said, the sims of the docali's drba_swh_160_sq_pe_rb posted by DonVK look very promising. Thanks to both docali and Don for your efforts!

It would be interesting to see sims of an even shorter horn (T factor 5??).
Here is a horn with Tend=6. We cannot simulate every combination The sims run several hours and Don is currently the only one to my knowledge who can prepare the project files for me. Currently camplos Jericho trumpet is under simulation...

swh_160_sq_peT6_rb_profile01.JPG

drba_swh_160_sq_peT6_rb.zip
Old 16th November 2019, 06:50 PM   #4384
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Teach me how to do it....I can pay you with 3d printing work.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:28 PM   #4385
diyAudio Member

We to encourage Don in this case. Some time ago he had the idea of a gmsh script solution. But to cover all possible variations it may be too complicated.

But I am sure that we will find something for you that theoretically works. To realize such a project would be your own and special challenge. But you should signal us if such horns are a real option for you.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:35 PM   #4386
diyAudio Member

@camplo

Here is a small video Don prepared during our evaluation or call it proof of concept phase. This is a spherical wave horn with T=1, stretch factor of 1.5 and stereophic projection applied. I am quite sure that this horn would work nicely.

So, if you choose a constant T factor this is similar to the spherical wave horn properties and we know that these horns work as several Klangfilm cinema speakers used this horn type.

drba_swh_400_e_sf150_pf116_rb-merge-ExternalFields.zip
Old 16th November 2019, 08:21 PM   #4387
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Looks good to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swh_160_sq_peT6_rb_1.jpg (507.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg swh_160_sq_peT6_rb_2.jpg (438.8 KB, 241 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 08:31 PM   #4388
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Is this where the rollback ends?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swh_160_sq_peT6_rb_3.jpg (585.1 KB, 229 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 08:37 PM   #4389
diyAudio Member

Ok, just the hot results from the Sim for the 45 deg termination mouth horn:

The LF performance show some ripples but this seems to be normal for such a type. It should load very low. The oberservation spectrum views are not as nice as for the roll-back horns but this horn is a compromise. I expected even more artifacts because of the sudden mouth termination.

real_jericho_t45_100.JPG real_jericho_t45_200.JPG real_jericho_t45_400.JPG real_jericho_t45_800.JPG
real_jericho_t45_1500.JPG real_jericho_t45_4000.JPG real_jericho_t45_8000.JPG

real_jericho_t45_imp.JPG
real_jericho_t45_spec.JPG
Old 16th November 2019, 08:42 PM   #4390
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Is this where the rollback ends?
The calculation is terminated at a certain distance from the inner horn walls. This is a compromise because of the meshing algorith within Meshlab. If I let it nearly merge then I get very nasty artifacts during meshing connecting the rollback-back to the inner horn section. So, this is clearly a compromise. But a person who is experienced with 3D software should be able to do some corrections or adding some surface parts.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!