Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2019, 06:40 AM   #4301
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
Maybe docali can save in other formats as well, but this is a quick work-around.
This still leaves you with a model build up with faces (surface model) that needs to be converted to a solid body. I see docali has made some adjustments as it is almost a full closed model already with an outer back shell present this time around. With some patch work you should be able to convert it into a full solid. Pretty sure Youtube will have Tutorials on how to do that in Fusion 360.

A question though, did we start with a good match between the Axi and this horn? Do the angles (exit/entrance) match?
Actually, it becomes accidentially like a solid The goal was to merge the original SWH roll-back with the inner wall to reduce the footprint.

It could of course be saved in other formats or provided as point cloud.

Personally, I think this horn is way too large for most applications. I currently have no experiences simulation-wise with the progressive expansion. The goal was to reduce the length and get a better directivity control. There are many parameter combinations possible.

Concerning the drivers exit angle. If you one with an exit angle like 20 or 30 deg it may not be intended for such horns shown here. My 18s ND4015Be has an exit angle near zero and should work with nearly every horn.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #4302
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

@Camplo, The throat is often seen as the best thing to replicate with a 3d printer. It is small, critical and complex. I'd rather the throat be the part made by hand, also rear chamber and phase plug in the case of a lower frequency horn. This way it will be strong, immovable. There are many suitable materials. Lately I use aluminium billet, bored with hand formed profile, also acts as a driver mount and horn mount.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:59 AM   #4303
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

This is the type Don requested to see. An ellipse with lower cut-off and slight projection and progressive T:

drba_swh_300_sep_pe_rb.zip

nad here in obj format:
drba_swh_300_sep_pe_rb_obj.zip

Last edited by docali; 14th November 2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #4304
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A rather old article, but it might still be interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page_16.jpg (199.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg page_17.jpg (232.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 14th November 2019, 07:14 AM   #4305
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
@Camplo, The throat is often seen as the best thing to replicate with a 3d printer. It is small, critical and complex. I'd rather the throat be the part made by hand, also rear chamber and phase plug in the case of a lower frequency horn. This way it will be strong, immovable. There are many suitable materials. Lately I use aluminium billet, bored with hand formed profile, also acts as a driver mount and horn mount.
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I hope you know I am talking the throat of the horn not the compression driver. The Axidriver is throat-less I think!? So therefore 0 degree exit angle. I cannot find any information on such, and I'll probably have to call Celestion.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #4306
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docali View Post
Personally, I think this horn is way too large for most applications. The goal was to reduce the length and get a better directivity control.
Reduce axial length and cutoff rises. Seems it's been posted earlier, but IME from reverse engineering some of the pioneer's horns to get adequate loading down to the XO point requires a nominally octave larger horn, so if 200 Hz XO is the goal, then a 1/2 WL axial length [~141 Hz] with a mouth perimeter ~1.5 octaves below 200 Hz [~71 Hz].

Also, earlier you mentioned 'progressive expansion T horns', what do you mean by this? It reminds me of a long ago [part of an] explanation of the 'T' factor where the mean between the hyperbolic to conical expansion was exponential, the rate of sound expansion, so curious how yours compares to it.

GM

Last edited by GM; 14th November 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:04 AM   #4307
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I was not talking about the driver or its internals, only the horn proper. I only do phase plugs for lower range horns, and then only sometimes.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:21 AM   #4308
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Oh, thats a new concept for me. Still wondering why 2 of us here are rooting for square horns. A round horn would have a more natural frequency response, would it not?
Old 14th November 2019, 09:14 AM   #4309
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

In theory. A square horn with the same mouth area = longer 'circumference' will close enough perform like a round one and a rectangular one has to have a < ~ 1:1.273 ratio.

GM

Last edited by GM; 14th November 2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:44 PM   #4310
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I hope you know I am talking the throat of the horn not the compression driver. The Axidriver is throat-less I think!? So therefore 0 degree exit angle. I cannot find any information on such, and I'll probably have to call Celestion.
The Axi2050 is a throat-less design. Should work well on most horns.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!