Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2019, 05:09 AM   #421
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Once you have the woofer section working, you can always experiment with other horns, if the tractrix doesn't meet expectations.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:55 AM   #422
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

That MTM from post #397 definitely looks nice but the ratio between wavelength at crossover and ctc distance is even worse than the ratio on mine. But I would still like to have a listen to these.

Regards

Charles
Old 17th May 2019, 12:31 PM   #423
diyAudio Member

The pros and cons of MTMs are well known.

Still, this was a quite a succesful speaker:

Click the image to open in full size.

Whereas this wasn't:

However, this was mainly due to the small price difference.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #424
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
In all likelihood the Ocean Way monitor will sound like a big 2 way with an add-on car subwoofer.
That's exactly what they sounded like to me.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:41 PM   #425
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For similar reasons, a number of reviewers, apparently not yet poisoned by an overdose of mediocre high-end products, rated the 1947 WE754A monitor 'best of show' on a recent Munich High-End.
I strongly disagree on this. I have heard all of the Western Electric (or WE-inspired) systems exhibited by Silbatone at the various editions of Munich High-End in recent years, and while they surely sounded "big" and "showy", they were also invariably "coloured"...
for lack of a better simile, the sound seemed to come from the back of a tunnel. NOT natural or realistic AT ALL.
They may have been state-of-the-art in the 1930's and '40s, but today we can do MUCH better.
Sorry to burst other people's bubble, but I like to tell it like it is.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:00 PM   #426
diyAudio Member

The wide Bi-Radial horn is probably better for a MTM than the M2 WG with regards to vertical spacing, but it'll never approach Snell's eXpanding array.

Speaking of which, all Audio Note speakers are basically improved early Snell designs:

Old 17th May 2019, 01:19 PM   #427
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

I hope the "big 2 way with car Subwoofer Sound" doesn't apply for all Ocean Way speakers.
They have their followers of whom I hope that they are not all deaf. At least their demo studio looks impressive (apart from the colour of the lighting):

HR1 Stereo – OceanWay Audio

They even have a large MTM using what looks like TAD 1601. What I don't like is that they seem to use a 1" HF Driver :

HRA – OceanWay Audio

Regards

Charles
Old 17th May 2019, 01:23 PM   #428
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_gea View Post
I strongly disagree on this. I have heard all of the Western Electric (or WE-inspired) systems exhibited by Silbatone at the various editions of Munich High-End in recent years, and while they surely sounded "big" and "showy", they were also invariably "coloured"...
for lack of a better simile, the sound seemed to come from the back of a tunnel. NOT natural or realistic AT ALL.
They may have been state-of-the-art in the 1930's and '40s, but today we can do MUCH better.
Sorry to burst other people's bubble, but I like to tell it like it is.

It's not 'my' bubble at least
Did you also listen to the WE 757A monitor?

I agree, the large snail horns WE13, 15A etc. and subsequent pre-war WE cinema speakers are severely compromised designs.
The drivers are exceptional though, even by today's standards. Especially the 594A.
If you dismiss these, you dismiss nearly every high-end compression driver, including the TADs.
However, this is not the thread to discuss vintage gear.

The post war WE757A is a completely different animal.
While it'll not deliver the extension we're used to these days, I am convinced of its technical concept,
including the KS-12027 horn, the 713C, the WE728B and the well thought out crossover.
Considering this speaker is more than 70 years old, there's no bubble to burst.
This is a landmark monitor speaker.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:54 PM   #429
diyAudio Member

Charles, I am sure those recent Ocean Way monitors are better.
I would prefer a Strauss MF-2 over any of these though.

It appears they've revived both the 25 year old JBL K2 (S-9500), as well as the Usher D2.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 02:29 PM   #430
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

For similar reasons, a number of reviewers, apparently not yet poisoned by an overdose of mediocre high-end products, rated the 1947 WE754A monitor 'best of show' on a recent Munich High-End.
Any more info on this?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!