Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 10:49 PM   #411
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you want to build an (expensive) 2-way with a big horn, crossed somewhere between 500-750Hz, this is a sensible BR cab design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E-170.jpg (351.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 16th May 2019, 11:46 PM   #412
diyAudio Member

You'll end up with something similar to this:

Click the image to open in full size.

which is a clone of this:

Which is one example to cover (almost) the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way.

(I like the description "bookshelf type". Provided your bookshelves are made of reinforced concrete or the kind you find in warehouses, it's legit)

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:18 AM   #413
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default No!

to the question: "Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?"

To meet this mission at the bottom end of the audio spectrum, requires multiple drivers operated under servo-control. This is the only way to get low distortion at large displacement in a reasonable sized footprint, while mitigating room mode issues as well.

In this setting, the first c/o will be set, at say 100 Hz, to avoid imaging issues that occur at higher frequencies.

Thus, at least one additional c/o point will be required to separate the speech range from the rest.

At the top end, pattern control will be at issue.

Of course the mid range, will always be were distortion products are most noticeable, because that is where the ear is most sensitive to acoustic energy.

WHG

Last edited by whgeiger; 17th May 2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:32 AM   #414
diyAudio Member

Of course, that's why I said: "(almost) the whole spectrum".

I guess most of us are aware of the requirements to reproduce <40Hz.
GM stated something similar a few pages ago.

That's without taking room modes into consideration.

Camplo has already decided to seperate midbass and (sub)bass (split between the TD15M and TD15H).

What do you end up with, if you want to squish 1-1.5 bottom octave out of the TAD (based) 2-ways?

With this:

Pretty ugly and according to people whose opinion I value: sonically pretty crappy as well.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 01:05 AM   #415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whgeiger View Post
Of course the mid range, will always be were distortion products are most noticeable, because that is where the ear is most sensitive to acoustic energy.

WHG

And this IMHO is still one of the most overlooked/undervalued aspects, even by professionals in the field.
Old 17th May 2019, 03:37 AM   #416
diyAudio Member

And it is not only about absolute levels of distortion, it is also about synergy between components and their impact on reproduction.
This is an art that includes science, but also a kind of craftsmanship.
Illustrious products such as the WE594A and the JBL 375 have been developed in this way.

Example:
I have met more than a handful of classically trained musicians who prefer Audio Note speakers to everything they have heard.

As is apparent from his photobucket account, Gary Dahl is one of the probably hundreds worldwide, including some renowned producers.

What is the basis for this?

If you ask those musicians, you get answers such as:
Only on AN does a piano sound like a piano, a cello like a cello, the air around instruments is rendered more convincingly, etc.

I'm not a fan of Audio Note. I detest the boundary loading which makes them sound thin free standing in larger rooms. I must admit, however, that the overall sonic performance is something special. It is also true that most of their loudspeakers render all sorts of music equally well, including less than stellar recordings.

Audio Note hardly does any marketing. Their primary marketing tool is word of mouth advertising and I think this is telling. This company has been flourishing for decades, regardless of the economic climate.

For similar reasons, a number of reviewers, apparently not yet poisoned by an overdose of mediocre high-end products, rated the 1947 WE754A monitor 'best of show' on a recent Munich High-End.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2wh5l20rbkx01.jpg (769.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 03:54 AM   #417
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I don't think I can do any better then what I have planned at this point. I've acquired power, which comes complete with enough eq for voicing/room correction. The acoustic elegance drivers are designed by smart people, the excursion of the 15H is directly outlined by xmax and xmech vs rms and peak, can play down to 20hz without bottoming out at 500rms. The 15m is held in high regard. Looking at crossing at 130hz and 600-700hz....I feel next year I could upgrade to beryllium diaphragms, based on what I think of the aquaplased titanium....I also have these krk s4v4 2 ways I love. I'll be switching those into rotation to try a 4 way first hand.....which brings me to an issue I have over looked....how the hell do I turn 2 outputs into 6 inputs....just when I though, I couldn't find another problem to solve!!!

ps- Audio Note you say? Commencing research.

Last edited by camplo; 17th May 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 17th May 2019, 04:11 AM   #418
diyAudio Member

I think you're on the right track, considering your intentions and your preferences.

The 15H/15M combo makes a lot more sense compared to mid + dual subwoofer configuration of the Ocean Way monitor above.

This is an example of the 'synergy' I referred to.
What you'll get is complementary output and 'sonic signature'. IOW, these drivers are not worlds apart, but designed by the same company for slightly different applications.

Audio Note speakers won't meet your requirements.
Old 17th May 2019, 04:23 AM   #419
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

How hasn't this been done before? (Tractrix/CD+15m sealed + 15h ported)....Do I get to name my design? I already have a name picked out. My approach with the active eq'd amps is slightly unique and repeatable as well as frugal yet should deliver sonically. I don't know how fancy I can get with the baffle but I'm pretty good at finish design.
Old 17th May 2019, 04:27 AM   #420
diyAudio Member

In all likelihood the Ocean Way monitor will sound like a big 2 way with an add-on car subwoofer.
Similar to some Avantgarde systems, where the separate sub does not harmonize at all with the large mid horn,
or large electrostatic speakers with separate subs (Martin Logan ao.).

I think it's been done before.
Gary Dahl's system is close to your concept, except for the passive radiators accompanying the 15H.

If your woodworking skills are adequate, you might want to consider a curved baffle. With this I mean a (nearly) half sphere.
Roundovers for big cabs are pretty useless, unless these approach.... exactly, a hemisphere.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th May 2019 at 04:49 AM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!