Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2019, 04:47 AM   #4031
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I had my suspicions, thank you for clarifying, I’ll have to play with it more now that I understand better what I see. I was clearly confused, so thank you all
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:53 AM   #4032
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
By convention, the driver is mounted at S2 on an OD horn or at S2 of an OD1 horn.
Just to clarify, the driver is mounted at S3 in an OD1 system.
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:05 AM   #4033
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I had my suspicions, thank you for clarifying, Iíll have to play with it more now that I understand better what I see. I was clearly confused, so thank you all
I thought you were right
TL introduces mass loading to the cone...I don't know where's the transition from TL to ML-TL, but surely any acoustic load reflects what happens behind the cone.
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:36 AM   #4034
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean View Post
Just to clarify, the driver is mounted at S3 in an OD1 system.
I'm too used to starting at zero
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:51 AM   #4035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc535 View Post
I'm too used to starting at zero
:-).

Traditionally the cross-sectional area at the throat end of a multiple-segment horn is designated as S1.
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:54 AM   #4036
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

I know. It's the rest of the math and programming worlds that are different... Including Europe for numbering floors
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:11 PM   #4037
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

If the frequency response is correct, that’s what matters, the thing that makes no sense is that sound is only emitted from one source when there should be two in the wavefront sim. If you draw a Tm using your mouse, in the wavefront sim, everything looks correct, but now you can’t sim freq response. So within the loudspeaker wizard the driver is facing directly at the screen...in the wavefront editor the driver can only face up down left or right. That’s what’s being suggested.
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:04 PM   #4038
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I ran the sims for bass reflex on horn resp and got different results, wonder which one to trust. With horn resp, the displacement increases drastically above about 40hz, where as with winisd displacement decreases above 40hz ion the same manner.....I'm thinking winisd is right.
Old 4th November 2019, 12:42 AM   #4039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I ran the sims for bass reflex on horn resp and got different results, wonder which one to trust. With horn resp, the displacement increases drastically above about 40hz, where as with winisd displacement decreases above 40hz ion the same manner.....I'm thinking winisd is right.
I am pretty sure that you can trust Hornresp... :-).
Old 4th November 2019, 02:12 AM   #4040
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

So if I set pmax to 0, the curve looks right, then as soon as I add more power to the signal, 1 in this instance, the response changes to what you see in pink....make that make sense. The blue is reflective what I see in WinISD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtfisthis.jpg (147.7 KB, 240 views)

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!