Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Some of the GPA drivers except for the AE's high power, super low [Le].

Products - Great Plains Audio

That's a small and very expensive list. I think I would stay with the TD15M.

A couple of alternatives that intrigue me are the Faital Pro 15PR400, and the JBL 2216nd.

Edit: There are even some much less expensive Eminence 15" drivers that could easily cover the intended spectrum, and play cleanly.

Last edited:
When I compare my dats derived specs to competing woofers...I'm still winning, which is why the tears stopped flowing...the advertised specs are out of control....4% efficiency?! Nope! The BL numbers no less bloated but still great at what they actually measure to...

No comment on the phase plot...Geddes suggested the voice coil leads. I cannot tell its an issue of yet.

Just gotta figure out Qts...might have to eat my own words and try out a reflex tuned to >20hz, fully stuffed damping

Plus at 16ohms its unique...not many people can get their hands on one of this spec

Last edited:
When I compare my dats derived specs to competing woofers...I'm still winning, which is why the tears stopped flowing...the advertised specs are out of control....4% efficiency?! Nope! The BL numbers no less bloated but still great at what they actually measure to...

No comment on the phase plot...Geddes suggested the voice coil leads. I cannot tell its an issue of yet.

Just gotta figure out Qts...might have to eat my own words and try out a reflex tuned to >20hz, fully stuffed damping

Plus at 16ohms its unique...not many people can get their hands on one of this spec

IMO the TD15M is a choice that is hard to argue about. NO flaws that I can see. I don't understand the need for 16ohms because the TD15M at 8ohms is a very easy load; it drops to a minimum of 7ohms. And, you don't use it in the upper range that the TD15M excels at. Question I have - Does it's low Le make a real difference throughout its range? Low Le compared to Re is a very good thing.

I'm looking for a good mid for my project and the TD15M is at the top of my list. I'm also exploring whether or not I can stretch my AETD15S woofers to mate with the 18Sound XT1464 horns and Radian951 CD's that I have.

The Faital Pro 15PR400 doesn't appear to have any better response in it's high range than the TD15S:

Closed Box Simulator

Closed Box Simulator

I have a few other Mid drivers to play with too.

I finished catching up on posts here. It is an honor to read comments from so many experts is this field. A few textbooks worth of knowledge has been shared here. Ignore what they have shared here at your peril. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
That's a small and very expensive list. I think I would stay with the TD15M.

A couple of alternatives that intrigue me are the Faital Pro 15PR400, and the JBL 2216nd.

Edit: There are even some much less expensive Eminence 15" drivers that could easily cover the intended spectrum, and play cleanly.

The Eminence don't come close to sounding as good as the Faitals!

Ok but whats it tuning point...are you talking about fb/fc? In that case, the fc is lower by about half

GM, you ever compare the 604 coaxials to a large horn...or even the 511/311 altecs horns in a two way?

Fb, Fc, so any BW < fhm is affected by its Qt.

To my ears, nothing to compare below its ~1600 Hz XO point, i.e. an apples n' oranges' comparison with me preferring the big horns over all, so would at least put it in a large WG, but had I been able to compare them to a mint pair of 604B coupled to an appropriate matching impedance 300B SET amp + matching tube pre-amp before my 'adventures' in huge horn system design began and I'd probably still have nothing else, just eventually added some foam to damp horn mouth reflections and a sub system, with upgrades as required to keep pace with the changing times.

Indeed! To accurately replicate a square wave/music signal requires a flat amplitude and phase response.

Yes, as accurately shown in Hornresp
sims.

Agreed. I wanted to see what others thought and why.

Low Le/Re = less mud.

I have not used Hornresp yet. Since my new project includes CDs and horns I should investigate. Been using Jeff Bagby's programs and XSim3d. Have started to play with SoundEasy but it hasn't been so easy yet.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
IB+LT for 18" subs.
15 for midbass not reaching Fo, Qts doesn't matter - go IB here also.

Both to box Q 0,5.

//

Im sorry I am not familiar...whats LT and Fo....both boxes are quasi infinite baffles I believe.

Edit....ok LT just clicked, but Fo is a mistery...
As for LT, its no different than room correction in my eyes.

As TNT is a brief visitor, I can relate. LT= Linkwitz Transform. LT just another way to "band-aide" an inferior design. It can, however, work well enough for those restricted on what they are "allowed" to place in their living room. A 15 for mid-bass; well, actually Qts DOES matter. A low Qes 15 is pretty good for mid-bass, but not so much for deep bass. A low Qes/high BL factor will lend itself to a final Qts on the low side, which is a lean/quick presentation. That combo is GREAT for what the intentions are/as long as it's not low bass. Here is where TNT makes reference to the system not being used down to Fo, which is an old-school synonymous term for Fs.

Dirty little secret: "Room correction" does not work well. You can correct a speaker, but you can't correct a room, with electronics. It takes physicals. Have fun.

As TNT is a brief visitor, I can relate. LT= Linkwitz Transform. LT just another way to "band-aide" an inferior design. It can, however, work well enough for those restricted on what they are "allowed" to place in their living room.......
Dirty little secret: "Room correction" does not work well. You can correct a speaker, but you can't correct a room, with electronics. It takes physicals. Have fun.

Theres not a person in the house(pun?) who has a flat response under the Schroeder.
If your speaker system plays flat toy your intended system f3/cutoff it will be mangle by the room no less than a system extended with EQ....
Physical acoustical correction > Electronic...

LT just another way to "band-aide" an inferior design
- thats a bit harsh. MY 18"s are in 315L enclosures and theres no way they are reaching flat to 30hz without eq. Adding weight to the diaphragm to move fs lower, maybe thats whats inferior when rigidity isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
LT

Camplo,
You are just not understanding my posts. The existing conditions for a candidate for a LT is in-and-of itself, an inferior design. This has ZERO, absolutely nothing, to do with your 18"s in 315L enclosures.

Once again, you can correct for a speaker, but you ain't changing the room with electronics. You can only change a room by rearranging physical structures existing in the room.

If you don't believe me, I really don't care. How's that for harsh?

The few times I post in this forum is out of sheer desire to help the folks, and 99% of the time I get flack for doing so.