Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 06:39 PM   #3771
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
The lack of nonlinear distortion is usually leading to lower subjective loudness perception - until you try to talk to the one sitting next to you …..
In that case, I can attest that prosound oriented speakers in general and Altec/GPA components in various TL alignments in particular meets this with many dBs to spare.

GM
Old 21st October 2019, 07:00 PM   #3772
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

It's often remarked by prosound engineers, how they can be surprised by higher SPL meter readings than they expected, when using systems known for maintaining high linear output.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:10 PM   #3773
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
…. and this is refering to which post ???

Regards

Charles
Rhetorical question made earlier:

"Why does smaller voice coil reduce IMD?"

Off course by itself it does not.

WHG
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:59 AM   #3774
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
In that case, I can attest that prosound oriented speakers in general and Altec/GPA components in various TL alignments in particular meets this with many dBs to spare.

GM
Now you got me interested in TL's....I've found some reading but haven't found anything that talks about about width of the transmission line, just length.

How does TL fair against ported and sealed? Should I even consider it for this project?
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:33 AM   #3775
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This video fails to tell you the primary design concern that sets TL's apart from other speakers. The design is usually of duct length that is a Quarter of the wavelength of the fundamental frequency of the drive unit used. This is because, AT that length, sound comes out in phase,(the same direction to) with that from the front. There are two major concerns to the smoothness and operation of a TL, 1) The line has to be damped to eliminate/absorb the 5th Harmonic resonance and 2 )The, 3rd Harmonic resonances from the driver. These occur at 5 times the fundamental and 3 times the fundamental. or, (at 20Hz) 100Hz and 60Hz respectively. The trick is to design the bass chamber to be one fifth of the wavelength distance so that this is "driven out" before the system gets to work. Line the first half of the TL and Fill the last half with BAF wadding or contoured Acoustic foam. It is important to make the line slightly longer than required to accommodate "End Correction" this is where the wavelength transmitted down the duct is back reflected from the port mouth and partial cancellation takes place. It has been found that this can limit the driver response to 30Hz bottom end. A TL without damping is a Labyrinth and these can overhang and colour the sound. Bass control is usually tight and well defined. It is possible to lower a drivers free air resonance to approx. 5% which is quite large .Look out for The Bailey and The Clark Designs from the 1970s and A.R. Bailey's Wireless World design from 1965.Wilslow Audio in UK do upgrades for Cambridge R50 crossover networks with super new capacitors. Other Designs were PRO9 TL and PRO10 TL, IMF TLS 50 and 80 and Loughborough Sound Monitors. Cambridge Audio R50 and R40 designs and Nightingale NM1.
Pulled this off a youtube video....
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:35 AM   #3776
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Now you got me interested in TL's....I've found some reading but haven't found anything that talks about about width of the transmission line, just length.

How does TL fair against ported and sealed?

Should I even consider it for this project?
Absorb all on this site and you too will be an expert: Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design

Depends on the type, but is generally superior to vented and can be superior to sealed, though no 'free lunch', you pay in [much] larger cabs.

MLTL might could be used if ported, max flat impedance TL if sealed.

GM

Last edited by GM; 22nd October 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:44 AM   #3777
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Pulled this off a youtube video....
Study the other site and you'll learn why you should ignore it.

GM
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:13 AM   #3778
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

The last TL I built was also the cleanest. Made in the Augspurger era to an alignment similar to a closed box response I was familiar with. The result was subjectively nearly identical to the closed box.
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:44 AM   #3779
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had the KEF (Fig. 6, Alt units) version as a kit back in the mid 70's: http://www.keith-snook.info/wireless...0Enclosure.pdf

Still remember the excellent bass response that was deep, transient and non resonant. Had the wool fill too. Can't remember the exact kit number...
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:11 AM   #3780
diyAudio Member

So by chance, I'm reading about the WESTMINSTER ROYAL....the first thought that came to mind was that when we discussed using a compression driver within a coaxial woofer....many people spoke of modulation introduced by the moving woofer/faux horn...yet the Tannoys are highly regarded... whats the deal?

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!