Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #3731
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Merci Ro808 for the measurements. I've not seen many comparisons like that.

Listening tests can be deceptive sometimes. I remember listening to a Lyngdorf system demo (not Steinway) years ago at RMAF. It was my first exposure to good DSP room correction. I thought the system was excellent, clean and detailed. Riders on the Storm became a test track for me because I thought the Lyngdorf was so revealing. Got back home from Denver and fired up "Riders" on my modest Altec/Selenium open baffles and was amazed at how much better overall, and how much more detailed, they were than the Lyngdorf system. I tend to be too easy an audience.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #3732
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
AMTs have their own set of limitations, but some are indeed very good.
However, this doesn't necessarily imply that an AMT is a substitute for a compression driver.
The comments follwing the published comparison (attached) weren't in favor of AMTs at all.
I've read some comments about AMT's being a bit lifeless compared to compression drivers. I wonder if the limited vertical dispersion is the main problem for most people. I've only heard the smaller AMT equipped Adam studio monitors.

Then I read rave reviews for Alcons planar ribbons and wonder...

I'll look for the thread thanks.
<<Mesures TPL200-H Beyma>> - 30064230 - sur le forum <<Enceintes>> - 1464 - du site Homecinema-fr.com

Last edited by ErnieM; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #3733
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yup, the small AMTs are (were?) populair for small desktop monitor speakers. I've heard many of those and liked the Adams quite a bit.

A (Steinway) Mungdorf room corrected setup does have its merits: in home theatres.

In the French thread someone referred to the Dutch Stage Accompany speakers with the planar mid-high unit (SA8535).
Its predecessor, the SA8520, was originally co-developed with Philips in the early 80s.

Later, a number of former SA people founded Alcons Audio
I think Beyma took inspiration from the SA/Alcons drivers in development of the TPL range.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Ro808; Yesterday at 09:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #3734
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It was interesting to compare the compression drivers. The driver I like best by ear (the BMS) is about the worst by THD. It sounds remarkably clean to me on sweeps. By the measurements, the JBL might be the best choice. Radian not too bad.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #3735
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

I very much like self made small mini monitors based on AMT and 6,5-7" with soft suspension, stiff membrane from: Home | Charisma Audio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5891.JPG (69.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8381.JPG (854.2 KB, 56 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #3736
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

While we have to resort to measurement data in order to make objective comparisons, subjective preferences are not to be neglected.

The latter often goes hand in hand with preferences in music, SPL, the room etc.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM   #3737
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
BMS triple rings shows its stuff. Nice and clean. Wonder how the differential drive motors(JBL, 18 Sound) do in IMD tests.

The 18 Sound AIC motor showed comparable or better IMD numbers than AE on the drivervault site. THD was average.

I believe the same French testers(member PVRX) chose the BMS 15N850, 18 Sound 8NM610, and Mundorf AMT for their 3-way proof of concept rig.

They also tested a whole bunch of compression drivers as well. 18 Sound came out on top but not nearly as good as the AMT's above 2k. IMD is the real downfall of compression drivers at high levels. Much less of an issue in home when using less than a watt most of the time.
The quote about compression drivers and IMD compared to what? AMT's?, Are we talking at matching spl levels? If not, How can you make such a quote? At 1 watt you might be talking 112db depending on which ever driver/horn.....I looked up the drivervault study but did not find any measurements of AMT's. Can I get you to post some measurements to illustrate your point or at least site you source of measurements. It really enriches the thread.
Old Today, 12:04 AM   #3738
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
The BMS woofers are generally very good, along with many drivers from 18Sound, B&C, Beyma, FaitalPro JBL (Professional) etc.

We must bear in mind, however, that most of the top performers as regards to distortion figures have been designed for extremely high SPLs. It's tempting to be guided by these excellent measurement results when selecting drivers for a project. The question is whether the attractive properties make a big difference for the specific application.

Moreover, AE drivers are a special breed. Even though the drivers are occasionally used in PA environments, I don't think these are designed to compete with BMS, B&C etc.
Even if they were, the lead time would force the company out of the market almost instantly.
Are you suggesting that BMS and B&C are better drivers? I mean IMD performance is everything, not really but kinda sorta.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!