Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Must be something like this, a simple circular arc (here with a rollback).

BTW, a typical 2" driver is possible to use down to 500 Hz in just about any horn (it's actually more like 550 Hz, based on the vertical polars).

Attachments

• rad50.png
    rad50.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 317
  • rad50-mesh-2.JPG
    rad50-mesh-2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Must be something like this, a simple circular arc (here with a rollback).

BTW, a typical 2" driver is possible to use down to 500 Hz in just about any horn (it's actually more like 550 Hz, based on the vertical polars).

How would you define Fc for a circular arc?

I know of no other application of a single BMS coax + horn that's specified for 140 dB (peak) with a crossover @ 450Hz (and not 550 Hz).

Last edited:
The equation in question isn't perfect. There are 2 features I'd probably add, but it's the elegance of the bare equation that is appealing.
Unfortunately it's also protected, so in order not to wake up sleeping dogs it seems wise not to mention it in the public domain for the time being.

Last edited:
If the data wasn't normalized we could see how it performs on low end...Normalization is a skew of the data more or less. If you don't want to show it...I understand.
You can't really see what you want to compare from this sort of simulation to a real measurement. The driver itself is a very large factor in the low end response.

The model needs to include lumped elements to more accurately represent the drivers response. Those parameters change with each driver so it becomes difficult to make any kind of generic response that is useful.

Here is an example of a non normalized plot compared to the same Ath report format.

You can see that the waveguide directivity gives out smoothly. When you compare the throat impedance to the magnitude you can see how they correspond. What will happen below the peak of the impedance depends a lot on the driver being used.

Attachments

• 5b6-1.4-38.png
    5b6-1.4-38.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 5b6-1.4-38-DI.png
    5b6-1.4-38-DI.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 386
Un normalized shows me how much support or lack of support I can expect from the vent, regardless of the driver.
Vent :confused: All the Ath and ABEC sims are made with a constant acceleration or velocity source so they are useful for looking at what the waveguide does alone with an ideal source. The Throat impedance and DI show how much support the waveguide will have at low frequencies. The information is already there to see.