Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2019, 03:42 PM   #3701
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

re' back to big horns

what about medium sized horns and a little more treatment around the room. what do you miss?
Old 13th October 2019, 06:22 PM   #3702
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Less is always less = some energy is dissipated, forcing a higher distortion out of the system below the horns and the relatively abrupt tonal discontinuity through the XO BW, though short WGs to bridge this gap helps somewhat. An 1/8 horn, 800 Hz WG is only ~2 1/8" deep.

GM
Old 13th October 2019, 11:35 PM   #3703
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
This might help.
Thanks! That's very interesting. It's unfortunate that no other horn flare types are given. Since we are generally using flares that flare completely to perpendicular in order to reduce mouth diffraction, the examples given are only helpful to illustrate my point if you visualize the examples as a section of the final horn. It seems though that my theory holds pretty well and that the diameter where wall angle predicts radiation is about equal to double the wavelength.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #3704
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Refraction vs. Diffraction

Quote:
This might help.
If you want to control HF radiation pattern, use an acoustic lens. This has been done before. See [1] Koch & Harvey and [2/5] Frayne & Locanthi for the history and details.

At the lower frequency bound, horn size rules for both driver loading and pattern control. The horn/lens becomes acoustically transparent when wave length >> horn and lens size.

With the advent if 3-D printing, use of an acoustic lens for this purpose has recently been revisited.

The GRIN design [6] implements the notion of a gradient index of refraction that permits a smooth impedance transformation as the wave front enters and then exits the lens domain.

[7] Demonstrates a 3-D implementation using a different approach. And there are others as well. WHG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LENS-JAS000471.pdf (823.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf LENS-SMPTEJ63-82.pdf (220.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf LENS-SMPTEJ63-83.pdf (221.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf LENS-SMPTEJ63-84.pdf (155.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf LENS-SMPTEJ63-85.pdf (230.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf GRIPP.pdf (319.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf 3DPAL.pdf (470.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by whgeiger; Yesterday at 06:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #3705
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This might help.
What is very strange for the conical horn that the beaming has a maximum at a certain frequency. Can someone confirm this? If so it would make the bahavior of this horn quite unpredictable as it might be dependent from the paramters of the horn.
con_beam_1.JPG
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #3706
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

I've owned Olsen's book for nearly 40 years. I have found that it is filled with errors. Don Keele commented on this once when he found that a horn that he measured didn't look any like what Olsen said it should. I have come to believe that much of what Olsen shows is based on his hypothesis of how things should work and not on actual measurements. So I would take those drawings with a bill pill of suspicion.
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #3707
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have come to believe that much.......is based on ... hypothesis of how things should work and not on actual measurements.
There's a lot of that going around, people sometimes can't seem to separate the subjective from the objective.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!