Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

To get a clue about the driver, it's useful to check the cone surface/structure.
If you compare the woofers of the previous pages, the GPA 416 etc., but also the Faital 15PR400 you'll notice the cone surface is similar to this (of my own driver):

Attachments

• f4e386cfa0b87b85771f658aec8b25ea490c175e.jpg
    f4e386cfa0b87b85771f658aec8b25ea490c175e.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 400
Charles, I guess you refer to Fs / Qts = 138 Hz ?

Yes, I do.

Regarding the cones: Usually straight-sided ribbed cones are better at the low end and thin light curvilinear ones are better at midrange. An then there are some exceptions to that rule. Or curvilinear cones with ribs (2216), or ……….

Hoping to get the best of both worlds my next one will be a tree-way with straight-sided ribbed 15" wofers and a 12" midrange with a light curvilinear cone.

Regards

Charles

Ok, let's reverse the statement:
Find a number of midwoofers suitable for 2-way application, let's assume in a BR cab, with usable bandwidth and that don't require massive amounts of amplifier power.

Then check the cones of the woofers that you've found.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ok, let's reverse the statement:
Find a number of midwoofers suitable for 2-way application, let's assume in a BR cab, with usable bandwidth and that don't require massive amounts of amplifier power.

Then check the cones of the woofers that you've found.

A lot of the PA drivers got non-coated paper cones. You can find that structure at about 1/4 of them.

Mitch, I think Camplo will agree. He has compared several woofers to the 2216nd.

The above woofer comparisons do not fully apply in Camplo's case.
He needs a driver in between the B&C TBX and the 15PR400.

The 15FH500 ticks nearly all the boxes, except it needs a large volume cab.

He also still needs a horn, but I think there's some progress in that respect.

Last edited:
A driver that is a little similar to the B&C/Cyrille is the 18sound 15nd930. I guess both drivers will have a nice midrange due to the curvilinear cone but restricted LF due to the low Q, despite a fairly low fs.

Regards

Charles

I know this driver keeps popping its head up, but I have tried the above mentioned 18 sound driver and yes, you have guessed it, the 15PR400
sounds better:)

Mitch, I think Camplo will agree. He has compared several woofers to the 2216nd.

I'd not seen the 500 before. That's a lot of Xmax for a woofer that sensitive, with a nice smooth bandwidth. Very impressive.

He also still needs a horn, but I think there's some progress in that respect.

15TBX100 need a bit of a lower crossover right?