Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Data of the smaller brother (the big one is still under development):

Attachments

• GGNTKT_M1_Spinorama_Cardioid.png
    GGNTKT_M1_Spinorama_Cardioid.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 231
  • GGNTKT_M1_Spinorama_Monopol.png
    GGNTKT_M1_Spinorama_Monopol.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Harmonic distortion (relative).png
    Harmonic distortion (relative).png
    34.3 KB · Views: 218
  • GroupDelay.png
    GroupDelay.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Beamwidth_horizontal_cardioid.png
    Beamwidth_horizontal_cardioid.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 217
  • Beamwidth_horizontal_non-cardioid.png
    Beamwidth_horizontal_non-cardioid.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Early Reflections_GGTKT M2.png
    Early Reflections_GGTKT M2.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I think I was going to say that the Strauss crossover has been outpaced by technology...(FIR)

Being partly right and saying that measurements are useless are not the same thing! Actually I'm almost certain that speaker measurements tell a real world story....a piece of the formula that leads up to the whole.

Looking at a polar chart and saying thats not how the works doesn't sit right with me lol!!!!

I think I was going to say that the Strauss crossover has been outpaced by technology...(FIR)

Being partly right and saying that measurements are useless are not the same thing! Actually I'm almost certain that speaker measurements tell a real world story....a piece of the formula that leads up to the whole.

Looking at a polar chart and saying thats not how the works doesn't sit right with me lol!!!!

Once you've managed to optimize the hardware (drivers, cab etc.) and know how to finetune a passive crossover, I don't believe DSP (FIR) can add much, especially wrt 2 way systems.

Measurements, especially those above, tell the story in ideal circumstances. In an average room, or any other space (with furniture, people and even deviant climatic conditions) measured response etc. may be (slightly) different.

Last edited:
Yes but you know what direction you are headed in by measurements taken from anechoic or in ideal circumstances....

I don't believe DSP (FIR) can add much, especially wrt 2 way systems.
Look at like this....the average guy is going to be able to create good phase through the crossover with DSP where as much more effort is going towards a passive of the same quality.

The M2 at 800Hz is being crossed outside the CD's comfort zone as has been spoken about elsewhere (the distortion rises in that region) but it was done to have a smoother directivity match between the 15" and waveguide, so directivity was prioritized over distortion.

so after 6500 posts how do you feel about the original question of the thread????

I think the answer to meaning of life is: Wait for it, hold it: LOL!

"The three-way Pendragon system employs a bass tower (eight 8” bass drivers per channel driven by a custom-designed 1000 Watt Gryphon Class A/B power amp) and an open baffle mounted with a two meter long dipolar planar magnetic thin-film ribbon (covering the 200 Hz – 18 kHz with no crossover in its operating range) alongside a vertical array of four dipolar Air Motion Transformer super-tweeters, specified to beyond 32 kHz."