Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2019, 05:25 PM   #3241
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Try this shop, you'll have to request a quotation.
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:27 PM   #3242
daemonsgr is online now daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Try this shop, you'll have to request a quotation.
and please let us know what the quotation was!
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:54 PM   #3243
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Did you guys see this test/review of the td15m?

YouTube
Old 24th September 2019, 01:48 AM   #3244
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasz View Post
Did you guys see this test/review of the td15m?

YouTube
This video says that all my theory about directivity, of a woofer, based on diameter, is a lie
Old 24th September 2019, 10:12 PM   #3245
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

In other news, I am comparing and contrasting the jbl 4” aquaplas and the axi2050
With the axi2050 I can cross lower, maybe as low as 200hz, keeping the vocal range intact, instead of dividing it with a crossover.

The jbl subjectively has more resolution in the top end, crossed at ~500hz leaving the “critical band” (700hz-7000hz) intact but dividing the midrange, leaving the lower half to the Td15m.
Since 15m is of large diameter, would not the mid range also have some of the dynamic contrast known to that of cd+horn nature?

I wonder could one really run the axi down to 200hz? Would a jmlc 200 be suffice?
If I get the axi would it be best to cross to the Td15m or eliminate it, and cross straight to the 18h+?!?
Old 24th September 2019, 10:50 PM   #3246
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

I remember reading someplace the xover of jlmc should be at least an octave above horn cutoff but my memory is not so great.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:33 AM   #3247
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Potential Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
In other news, I am comparing and contrasting the jbl 4” aquaplas and the axi2050 <snip>
You will be hard pressed to find a competitive driver of equivalent performance if the disclosures made by Celestion are accurate. Some reasons for this observation follow:
1) The Celestion axi2050 is a highly refined design of a large format compression driver similar to the Community M4 with a far superior performance.
2) With a large annular diaphragm and accompanying dual surround, rocking modes that occur at lower frequencies are suppressed while relative large excursion remain materially linear, and while a respectable volume displacement is delivered.
3) The waffleized diaphragm mitigates breakup modes at high frequencies as well.
4) The phase plug is designed to deliver a planer wave front at driver exit, which provides an ideal match with an O.S. Horn throat and body (joined at its hyperbolic apex).
5) The PWT frequency response curve is impressive. It is essentially ruler flat over the range 100-3,000 Hz. with gradual downward slopes beyond. Amazing!

The challenge here will be, designing a horn that does not impair such a superlative performance, while maintaining a reasonable directivity constant.

WHG

Last edited by whgeiger; 25th September 2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 25th September 2019, 02:53 AM   #3248
oohms is offline oohms  Australia
diyAudio Member

You're going to need a huge horn to cross at 200hz.. ideally with horn loading to 100hz

Stick to constant directivity, something like a double sized K402; that jmlc 200 narrows in directivity a lot
Old 25th September 2019, 03:07 AM   #3249
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I am on a rather unique quest, I want beaming.....So the JMLC is fitting.
Old 25th September 2019, 04:10 AM   #3250
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
If I get the axi would it be best to cross to the Td15m or eliminate it, and cross straight to the 18h+?!?
This is an option to consider.
The TD18H+ would only have to cover 3 octaves (30-240Hz).

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!