Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2019, 11:04 AM   #3201
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It was pointed out (and to my uneducated brain make a bit of sense) that the crossover points are right in the middle of the critical range of hearing. It might be harder to cross nicely. Also I havent seen any reviews yet that give it a significant advantage (Im no expert so my statements are also questions...).
The 4594 seems to me as a well used option that I will also have more people/owners to ask for help.

BMS seems to be easy to cross 650 to 6500 (6.3k or something) so right on the critical range. no? Ro808 I believe pointed out some good things about the 464 but I might be to novice to get, i have to confess.
BMS goes easily higher to 20k (probably a minor detail for most)
Old 21st September 2019, 05:15 PM   #3202
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The 464's overlap between the diaphragms is its strongpoint. Compared to some of the BMS coaxials the output of both diaphragms is more even, so a nice handover would be easier to realize. Mark100 did compare the B&C to the BMS and stated he had to get used to the lower XO point of the B&C.

I've heard the 4594Nd in the big Danley Synergies and have to admit they sound rather nice, at least for PA.

Moreover, the crappy magnet coating of every BMS driver deteriorates quickly due to oxidation. After a short period of time your expensive drivers will look old and abused. It's a shame, even though it doesn't affect performance.

Last edited by Ro808; 21st September 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 05:28 PM   #3203
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A really nice piece of advice. Make sense. What about 17k++? Will crossover trick help? Is it can be padded a lot to match 97db of the woofer.

(But on the other hand.... man.... i can’t decide!!!! Grrrr heheheh)

Last edited by daemonsgr; 21st September 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 07:00 PM   #3204
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
the crappy magnet coating of every BMS driver deteriorates quickly due to oxidation
Nickel PRICE Today | Nickel Spot Price Chart | Live Price of Nickel per Ounce | Markets Insider
Zinc PRICE Today | Zinc Spot Price Chart | Live Price of Zinc per Ounce | Markets Insider
Old 21st September 2019, 09:49 PM   #3205
diyAudio Member

Peter Morris' comment on the DCX464:

"The DCX464 is a much newer design and I suspect they have improved a few things, especially the distortion levels. I also suspect it will make more SPL and go slightly lower. The mid / hi crossover has some overlap so it easier to get this area to work well.

The VHF does not go quite as high as the BMS4594, but so far it sounds more natural, in fact more natural (with Lake processing) than anything I have ever heard! ... but I am yet to use it in anger."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 464 pic2.jpg (131.3 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by Ro808; 21st September 2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:53 PM   #3206
camplo is online now camplo
diyAudio Member

So the guy at AE is saying that the 18h+ is a better sub than the 15h?
Old 21st September 2019, 11:02 PM   #3207
diyAudio Member

Did he give you any indication as to why?
Old 21st September 2019, 11:14 PM   #3208
diyAudio Member

He says its only a misconception that you don't want to play below the fs. In a 6cuft box I can reach my 30hz 116db @ 1 meter loudness goal at 450watts versus the 800 needed for the 15h....so that would lower thermal compression potential right? There has to be some kind of benefit in the lowered xmax and larger wave front, of the larger diaphragm right? The group delay is 6ms higher but I just read, that group delay in sub the bass isn't a large factor. He spoke ofhow the 18h+ has a more powerful motor as well.

Last edited by camplo; 21st September 2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 11:31 PM   #3209
diyAudio Member

He's correct up to a certain point and assumed he knows his drivers better than anybody else, we'll have to take his arguments for granted. Tuning (reasonbly) below Xmax shouldn't cause problems, as long as the cab is big enough and the driver doesn't approach Xmech. At home, thermal compression isn't an issue, unless your average SPL is > 110dB.
Old 21st September 2019, 11:36 PM   #3210
diyAudio Member

I forgot to say that the 18h+ port would be tuned to 28hz. The 18h+ has significantly less excursion at the same spl as the 15h.....I'm scared, hold me. The 15H actually leaves xmax at this high level we are discussing, but the 18H+ never does. Which is still kind of a non issue since critical listening will be had at a much lower volume.

Last edited by camplo; 21st September 2019 at 11:39 PM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!