Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2019, 07:12 AM   #2831
suparub is offline suparub
diyAudio Member

Hi ! What about the Altec Lansing's ‘Voice of the Theatre’ ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Is there any better in 2 way / high spl / low distortion ?
Old 10th September 2019, 07:58 AM   #2832
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Doesn't necessarily mean much (unless you've already ordered and are waiting on delivery info). I first bought speakers back when they were Nick McKinney's Lambda speakers - and it took around 6 months for delivery. Worth every minute.
Did you try using PM-ing from their Facebook page? Might get a response.
I ordered like 3-4 months ago, and I've amended that order once, and now want to amend it again, is all.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:20 AM   #2833
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Once I heard the JBL 4367 there is no going back.
What in particular did you like about it ? I guess it is what most people like about big two ways with 15" woofers: Effortless bass response with authority. Isn't it ?

Regards

Charles
Old 10th September 2019, 08:22 AM   #2834
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

No replacement for displacement....array or diameter....however you get there....get there.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:31 AM   #2835
Forane12 is offline Forane12  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
What in particular did you like about it ? I guess it is what most people like about big two ways with 15" woofers: Effortless bass response with authority. Isn't it ?

Regards

Charles
While I certainly appreciate the bass and the way it plays Dave Grohl's "Mantra" it was the mid up that was impressive. I felt the same way when I first heard the Mark Levinson 360s - lots of detail that's extremely different than the thin, bright sound that a lower level DAC tries to present as resolution. Seriously, I would love the C1 and the 4367 to have a child but there is no question who I would take home with me.

I guess Harman engineers use all that knowledge that Mitch is trying to spread around, his book was the revelation I was waiting for all my life in building, buying/selling literally hundreds of devices.

But it is hard to admit that all that time you have been changing caps, cables, amps in the pursuit of something listenable has been in vain. No one tells us the room plays a tremendous part in the results. Can you imagine how many people go to a show room, fall in love with a speaker(system) and bringing the speaker home they get a huge slap in the face... And become easy pray trying to recreate that with throwing money at problems that do not exist or at least are nothing compared to the room effects.

I am certainly tempted to try the HHH Calpamos or a later development in that direction. I don't really need to go down that low if I get the dynamics, clarity, tonal balance. I hope that makes sense.
Old 10th September 2019, 01:21 PM   #2836
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suparub View Post
Hi ! What about the Altec Lansing's ‘Voice of the Theatre’ ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Is there any better in 2 way / high spl / low distortion ?

I’ve always wondered what that design would sound like with a coaxial driver? (Without the top)
Anyone ever try that?

And if you could miniaturize to say a 8” coax setup just like that ‘loaded slot horn’ (or whatever that is called?) over a 15” bottom?

Bob
Old 10th September 2019, 01:27 PM   #2837
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.is this what you mean?
Old 10th September 2019, 01:30 PM   #2838
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, one of several coax options.

Would it work in that configuration?

Just talking the dynamics.....I realize the box volume would probably have to change.

Last edited by mountainman bob; 10th September 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10th September 2019, 01:46 PM   #2839
moray james is offline moray james  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Doesn't necessarily mean much (unless you've already ordered and are waiting on delivery info). I first bought speakers back when they were Nick McKinney's Lambda speakers - and it took around 6 months for delivery. Worth every minute.
Did you try using PM-ing from their Facebook page? Might get a response.
I was under the impression that Nick McKinney had passed away? Please correct me if I am in error.
Old 10th September 2019, 02:38 PM   #2840
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Gedlee, I was curious, the experiment you talked about concluding that compression drivers sound more similar than not....that had to be independent from the variable of diaphragm material and/or exit size....right?
The diaphragms in both drivers were aluminum without any additives. From what I have seen the additives and exotic materials make very little measurable difference below 10 kHz, which is where it really matters, so I would not expect any change in the results with any of these modifications. I think that they are more hype than reality.

My take on lowering the crossover point - as seems to be common here - is that yes it's a good idea as long as one accepts the tradeoffs (huge size) and does it right (which is rare.) The most important things are matching the directivity at the crossover, which becomes almost untenable for waveguide size as the crossover point moves down. Almost no one here seems to be looking at the directivity control of these larger horns at their lower end. I highly doubt that they control directivity down to the "cutoff" point that they claim. Cutoff is a fictional parameter that does not mean that the device controls directivity down to that point. I wonder if people really understand this point.

I am very leary of crossover points below about 800 Hz since, in my experience, things get unwieldy if you try to go below that. I've never seen a design that I thought would be satisfactory. The larger horns and drivers will cause serious problems at the high end, requiring yet another UHF driver and crossover - to be avoided at all cost IMO.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!