Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2019, 04:37 AM   #261
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Thanks for that Gm
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:53 AM   #262
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Currently looking at the SEOS-24 and the Tractrix 350hz...any advice on what might better suit my needs for near field and/or studio reference monitoring
Old 25th April 2019, 03:00 AM   #263
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Bump
Old 25th April 2019, 05:30 AM   #264
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

2384 is ok but due to its small size it looses the directivity quite early. I have the polars but I don't think I'm allowed to share them. A larger well built horn is in another league, but also takes up more space and will cost more.
Combining it with a 15" in a vented box (preferably 140 L or bigger) works really well and blows away any "high-end" commercially speaker out there IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190330_151933 (Medium).jpg (132.6 KB, 347 views)
Old 25th April 2019, 05:38 AM   #265
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Omholt,

Great looking new horn! How far down in frequency does the horn load, and what driver are you using?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
2384 is ok but due to its small size it looses the directivity quite early. I have the polars but I don't think I'm allowed to share them. A larger well built horn is in another league, but also takes up more space and will cost more.
Combining it with a 15" in a vented box (preferably 140 L or bigger) works really well and blows away any "high-end" commercially speaker out there IMO.
Old 25th April 2019, 05:42 AM   #266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk View Post
Hi Omholt,

Great looking new horn! How far down in frequency does the horn load, and what driver are you using?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter
The horn to the left is Klipsck K402 which I assume you're familiar with. The horn on the right side is a prototype I have and working on. It loads down to about 300 Hz. I'm testing with both Radian 951, JBL 2450SL and other drivers.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:01 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

Thanks! How does the new horn compare to the Klipsch?

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
The horn to the left is Klipsck K402 which I assume you're familiar with. The horn on the right side is a prototype I have and working on. It loads down to about 300 Hz. I'm testing with both Radian 951, JBL 2450SL and other drivers.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:21 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks! How does the new horn compare to the Klipsch?

Best regards
Peter
Too early to draw any conclusions and I'm waiting for a new pair with better build quality. So far though, my impression is that it's a few steps above the K402 even when comparing with a low cost diaphragm to a beryllium in the K402. The horn is really more important than the driver/diaphragm.
Old 25th April 2019, 07:14 AM   #269
diyAudio Member

Hi again Omholt,

Thanks for the reply! That sounds really interesting. Where do you cross over to the woofer, and what 15" are you using?

Best regards
Peter

Quote:
Too early to draw any conclusions and I'm waiting for a new pair with better build quality. So far though, my impression is that it's a few steps above the K402 even when comparing with a low cost diaphragm to a beryllium in the K402. The horn is really more important than the driver/diaphragm.
Old 25th April 2019, 07:24 AM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi again Omholt,

Thanks for the reply! That sounds really interesting. Where do you cross over to the woofer, and what 15" are you using?

Best regards
Peter
Around 600 Hz with this horn. I can cross over lower with another horn that I'll also will test. But 500-600 Hz area seems to be basically the lowest you can go with most beryllium 4" compression drivers. Perhaps somewhat lower with a very steep filter.

It's not important what 15" driver I'm using. I trying a lot of things. The final setup will by the way be with a midbass horn as the picture below shows (a 3-way system). I'm simply using a vented woofer as well for test purposes. But if you want a recommendation for a quality 15" woofer with high sensitivity I would recommend a driver from Acoustic Elegance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190413_125324 (Stor).jpg (244.2 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by Omholt; 25th April 2019 at 07:29 AM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!