Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #2341
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be in.

Spherical horn for a 1.5" jbl throat, maybe 5.5" deep.
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #2342
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Mitchba, I haven’t checked out your link just yet, not to ask anything redundant. Can you describe the top register of your expression with the 4” aquaplas diaphragm. How would you compare it toke wise to some of the other tweeter options (dome, ribbon).

I have high hopes, the aquaplas has been described to be close enough to the performance of beryllium not warrant the cost of such, while requiring less eq in the top register and being the most damped option as well.

Norman 23” jmlc, you can see an example on auto tech or search this thread for actual pictures
camplo, the response in the top octave is extended, but a bit ragged, which can be smoothed out with eq. I get to -3 dB at 20 kHz. Thankfully it is a low distortion device, so sounds detailed and smooth. You can hear the comparo to the Kef's in the link.

I am sure I linked this before, but member notnyt measured and compared a bunch of JBL CD's, including one with Be dia loaded: Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I am happy with the response with the 2453H-SL. Now if I can only find a better waveguide
Old Today, 06:22 AM   #2343
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Can you describe the top register of your expression with the 4” aquaplas diaphragm. How would you compare it toke wise to some of the other tweeter options (dome, ribbon).
Based on my experience with Kinoshita (Beryllium) and JBL (Aquaplas), I would say the strength of the 4” Aquaplas is not the top octave.

Aquaplas diaphragm has a distinctive tight sound due to its damped metal structure, and its top is less bright and less airly than the other metal diaphragm drivers, including uncoated titanium and Beryllium. The good thing about it is, it has less metal signature, slightly a bit more paper like, so the transition to the paper cone woofer is more natural than the other metal diaphragms to my ears. I feel that TAD Beryllium is cleaner and airlier, and has almost no signature by itself, but it's midrange is less meaty than Aquaplas. I think some would say Beryllium horn driver has the same signature as Beryllium / Diamond dome tweeters.

Ribbon is also clean ands airly. I have seen many people add ribbon super tweeter to Aquaplas, and I think its pretty reasonable. Softdome is always great, nothing wrong, a little boring nice guy.

Last edited by plasnu; Today at 06:27 AM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!