Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2019, 07:55 PM   #2311
Audio Elite is offline Audio Elite  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
15PR400 will play upto 1 kHz, I've personally experienced it.

Little brother of the modular SCR-series, with XT1086 + B&C DE250 + 12TBX100 :

Click the image to open in full size.

This is where DIY (literally) pays off. The MSRP of this small 2-way is about $6000, that's USD.
Love the look of that!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20th August 2019, 10:19 PM   #2312
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Compared to your speakers this would be an easy build.
A fairly cheap build as well.
The coating used is polyurea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scr_12sm_3_view_drawing.jpg (773.3 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 8727c7f5fe7008f6ece74d84e2f498f1.jpg (1,010.0 KB, 315 views)
Old 21st August 2019, 04:45 AM   #2313
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

That mtm with 18sounds horn is sexy. If I made a mtm, to put the horn at ear level would put the top of the deal inches away from the ceiling, isn’t that unacceptable? Now the deal with xdir and polars is sorted. I like the idea of putting the top of the 1st woofer at ear level pretty much splitting the difference/distance between it and the horn. The polar is wide enough for it and the horn can be angled down slightly. If the dispersion from the woofers would allow...I’d opt to put the horn at ear level.
I’m wondering, does driver spacing in a mtm dictate a minimal listening distance?
Old 21st August 2019, 01:40 PM   #2314
diyuser2010 is online now diyuser2010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
That mtm with 18sounds horn is sexy. If I made a mtm, to put the horn at ear level would put the top of the deal inches away from the ceiling, isnít that unacceptable? Now the deal with xdir and polars is sorted. I like the idea of putting the top of the 1st woofer at ear level pretty much splitting the difference/distance between it and the horn. The polar is wide enough for it and the horn can be angled down slightly. If the dispersion from the woofers would allow...Iíd opt to put the horn at ear level.
Iím wondering, does driver spacing in a mtm dictate a minimal listening distance?

The crossover point needs to be considered with the center to center distance in mind. < 2/3rds WL c-c per D'appolito. If the box is near the ceiling, consider a chunk of mineral wool to fill the gap between the top of the box and the ceiling.

I can walk up to within a meter of my MTM's before the sound has significantly degraded, with a 13.5 inch c-c. The horn centerline is at ear level when seated.

I haven't measured the polars with a microphone yet, so please understand this is subjective.

In the past, numbers like 10x inter-driver distance and 8x inter-driver distance have been mentioned, though I have not seen evidence that this is true for large MTM or Synergy type builds. On the Synergy horns, it has been mentioned that one can walk up to the horn and stick your head inside the horn and it sounds like 'one' driver.

One thing to consider is the wavelengths produced by the two bass drivers and the inter-driver distance ( time ) from your ears. At long wavelengths, my belief is that the result of an off-axis listening position will be less problematic than having a small MTM that runs the mid bass units high in frequency to a small dome tweeter, assuming the same angular displacement, even though the devices are physically closer.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:36 PM   #2315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyuser2010 View Post
One thing to consider is the wavelengths produced by the two bass drivers and the inter-driver distance ( time ) from your ears. At long wavelengths, my belief is that the result of an off-axis listening position will be less problematic than having a small MTM that runs the mid bass units high in frequency to a small dome tweeter, assuming the same angular displacement, even though the devices are physically closer.
This is true.
I have a few pairs of (hifi) MTMs which exhibit those characteristics.

If large MTM's were problematic and inadequate in this regard, why would respected companies build them in the first place (JBL, Pro Audio Technology, Rey Audio, Usher etc.)?
Moreover, by using DSP, one could manipulate the lobes.

Last edited by Ro808; 21st August 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 21st August 2019, 04:22 PM   #2316
Mleod is offline Mleod  Italy
diyAudio Member

... However the fact remains that I never managed to get a credible human voice from 2way 15 "driver ... and I tried in many ways ... I think I am in dexterity deficit or my ears ... or are there any tricks I don't know ???

HI!
Old 21st August 2019, 05:05 PM   #2317
diyAudio Member

In the end it's a matter of preference and also dependent on your room.

If I would listen mostly to light jazz and vocal music, I could happily live with a set of Quad ESLs.

Some 'vocal fetishists' prefer BBC type of monitors (Harbeth, Spendor, Falcon etc.)

Been through most of the regular hifi stuff.

However, if you want large scale dynamics....nothing beats cubic inches.

It's like the 500 cu in (8.2L), 6.5 meters long, Fischer bodied Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Limousine I drove on the cramped streets along the canals of Amsterdam during my studies

Last edited by Ro808; 21st August 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 21st August 2019, 05:46 PM   #2318
Mleod is offline Mleod  Italy
diyAudio Member

.... lol ....
Ok, basically you have to turn a blind eye ... or really there is some trick ... or 3 way is the only solution ...

HI
Old 21st August 2019, 06:02 PM   #2319
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
It's like the 500 cu in (8.2L), 6.5 meters long, Fischer bodied Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Limousine I drove on the cramped streets along the canals of Amsterdam during my studies

You didn't have to drive along the canals, you could have run that boat IN the canals. Dear lord that ain't small.
Old 21st August 2019, 06:21 PM   #2320
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
mleod: what freq region needs to be taken care of outside the 15” for a credible human voice from your experience? Curious.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!