Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2019, 02:39 AM   #201
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
This was discussed a few months ago. It's not what it looks like. In hand reports show no constriction in the throat.
Thanks for that! Looks like a winner then.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:04 AM   #202
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
Test Bench: Radian Audio Engineering 950PB and 760NEOPB Compression Drivers | audioXpress

And the 950 looks similarly rough up high, with a huge ridge in the csd at 15k. I have to say, my humble little radian 475 is looking better and better to me. Although as others have pointed out, if you have a huge room at ear bleed levels it will have less output capabilities than either of these when crossed at 500hz. Pick your poison I guess.
You ain't lying Cspieker. I'm still digging, day and night. You've been an advocate in helping me finish this project so thank you for your patience.
I did notice a chance to do something suggested by others in the past. The La'voce 18" I listed is very similar to the AE, cost about half the price....wouldn't I be winning if I ran 2 - la'voce 18" vs 1 - AE 18". I know running them together, to 16 ohms, would double the BL. Sounds like a win to me. Even less excursion, etc etc.

I need to go through this thread and research all the suggested drivers, again.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:23 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

The center of the woofer and the center of the horn have to be as close as possible with the highish xo. So 2 18's would have to be mtm, it's a possibility, but a huuuge cabinet. My single 12 is crazy loud in an average size room, but I feed it 800 watts with a 14mm xmax. Just be sure whatever woofer you pick it goes low and has adequate xmax. I assume you are checking max spl Sims for your options with something like winisd.

If twins, more likely you would run them parallel at 4 ohms to get more juice out of your amp. Tubes are for horns, give the woofers some solid state current.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:26 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

And it's my pleasure to help. While I'm not as expert as most, I'm thankful for the distraction as I continue to heal my jacked up leg. Compartment syndrome = no fun.
Old 22nd March 2019, 04:42 AM   #205
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Overall, the 950 seems to be preferred.
I have no experience with Radian, but I'll verify this with someone who has (a lot).

Just to be clear: are you talking about the drivers with Aluminium or Beryllium diaphragms?

Regarding XT1464, 1086 and most of the RCF Horns, with the exception of the HF99, the discontinuities at the throats are indeed diffraction apertures.
However, these are not at all comparable to the oldskool sharp edged constrictions you'll find in many vintage horns from the 80's.
All the above horns are known to deliver exceptional sound quality, unless badly implemented.

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd March 2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:03 AM   #206
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Overall, the 950 seems to be preferred.
I have no experience with Radian, but I'll verify with someone who has (a lot).

Just to be clear: are you talking about the drivers with Aluminium or Beryllium diaphragms?

Regarding XT1464, 1086 and most of the RCF Horns, with the exception of the HF99, the discontinuities at the throats are indeed diffraction apertures.
However, these are not at all comparable to the oldskool sharp edged constrictions you'll find in many vintage horns from the 80's.
All the above horns are known to deliver exceptional sound quality, unless badly implemented.
Well thats comforting. I was thinking of a gigantic mtm....in a like an upside down V formation.. I might be getting carried away

unique solution #12380912387
Test Bench: Acustica Beyma TPL200/H Pro Sound Air Velocity Transformer | audioXpress

I'm trying to keep myself mindful of how high 10k-20k actually is....I'm likely being to critical of the curves in that region.

Last edited by camplo; 22nd March 2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:05 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Well the first post that went in this direction, to have a little clarity to my inquisition, it’s buried behind other post about synergies
951 vs 950 radians
Both have the same internals, only difference is exit size, the model with a 1.4 exit seems to have a smoother response than the one with a 2” exit. If the difference between the two is extension in one direction or the other then I’d likely go for the 1.4” version
Yes, the 1.4" exit Radians are better and therefore preferred, unless your horns require a 2 inch exit.

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd March 2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:26 AM   #208
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Audiocpress 951 article Test Bench: The 951PB 1.4" Compression Driver from Radian Audio Engineering | audioXpress
So as I reread and comb through information I found something of interest....the two sample test shows some product inconsistency.
I'd be interested to see how linear others were able to eq the response.

Last edited by camplo; 22nd March 2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:26 AM   #209
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

From Dickason's measurements I would agree with that. OTOH Augsburger uses a 2" version on a custom radial horn.

Regards

Charles

Edit: I was a little slow. My post refers to # 207.
Old 22nd March 2019, 05:33 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post

I'm trying to keep myself mindful of how high 10k-20k actually is....I'm likely being to critical of the curves in that region.

I would not be blinded by 10-20k, as long as there's usable output without severe breakup issues.
The Radian 950PB 1.4 will be better than the 2" in the top octave.
But once again, performance is dependant on the horn as well.

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd March 2019 at 06:02 AM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!