Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Beatles Mixing Desk @ Abbey Road, Studio 2
And here’s a photo of Pink Floyd in the mixing room of Abbey Road, Studio 3 circa first half of 1967:
tumblr_p3zxem9MBn1wb7b85o1_500.jpg

Look like Tannoy Lockwoods to me. At any rate, the actual mastering monitors are more interesting for our purposes.

Last edited:
So now I'm looking at purchasing a axi2050 to reach the lowest xover possible....I've heard that tweeters are hard to incorporate...what about the JBL 075. I've seen only bullet tweeters with horn systems....why? Whats the dispersion like?
Like a bullet- the JBL 075/2402 beamwidth goes from about 150 degrees at 3.15kHz to 22 degrees at 20kHz.

If you do choose a beamy high frequency, using the axi2050 on a Seos 30 as Celestion did for their on axis measurements rather than using a separate beaming horn tweeter would be preferable from an imaging standpoint- the primary advantage of a driver like the axi2050, or the BMS 4594 or B&C DCX464 coaxial HF drivers are a wide-band virtual single point source that can reproduce loud levels with low distortion.
That said, a virtual single point source does not have to be limited to a beaming horn..

Art

Attachments

• JBL 2402:075.png
    JBL 2402:075.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've seen only bullet tweeters with horn systems....why? Whats the dispersion like?

EXCLUSIVE ET-703

This won't be cheap though. ( Pionner exclusive = TAD).

Regarding the above post: the band, year and monitors are (probably) correct but the studio is wrong. It’s actually them at De Lane Lea, not Abbey Road. My apologies for the unnecessary confusion.

It is the picture i was refering to* . Thank you for clarification Brinkman, it seems i was wrong about Abbey Road.

*Well maybe not as Sid Barrett wasn't present in my memory and the room was bigger...hmmm, will check on my HDD if i can find it.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ah yes, this is this room i had in memories.
And my memory still serve apparently!
Thank you Ro808.
No trace of the picture in HDD1... 3 more to check if i kept this picture.

I like the speaker stands! They really didn't bother at the time... :)

Last edited:
Recently built a 15cxn88 trial box, for use with a sub and my standard 100Hz crossover.
B&C Speakers

Sounds great, images very well. Could easily live with it full time.
But that said, I still prefer the 4594 or dcx464 on a horn, with a 12" or two.

You just saved me having to ask who has compared a large coaxial to a tradition horn....now, can please be more descriptive in the differences and why you prefer the horn?

At the risk of sounding old fashioned/obsolete, is there a better performing coax for ~near field studio monitoring than the Urei?

GM

yes check out the Tannoy Revolution XT serirs was released in 2015 it is still current. These drivers represent the most significant improvements to the Tannoy DC driver in the last 95 years. The single 6.5 or 4.5 XT mini with subs are very very good. There are dual 6.5 and dual 8 XT both make lots of bass but do not integrate as well as the smaller singles do so unless you want lots of level then stick with the singles combines with subs. You want to have them right at ear level on axis set up like this with subs I feel that they are the best Tannoy has ever produced. In the pas I have has Silver 12" Gold12" and HPD 12" & 15" along with some later model 6.5" and 8" DC models and a pair of Mercury 7.2.

And here’s a photo of Pink Floyd in the mixing room of Abbey Road, Studio 3 circa first half of 1967:
tumblr_p3zxem9MBn1wb7b85o1_500.jpg

Look like Tannoy Lockwoods to me. At any rate, the actual mastering monitors are more interesting for our purposes.

Yep, these are definitely Tannoy Lockwoods. Tannoy didn't build cabs during that era, only drivers.
Cabinetry was therefore outsourced to 2 companies, one of those was Lockwood.
The company is still in existence and those Major cabs are also still available.
Despite their legendary status, the vintage cabs are usually offered at surprisingly low prices.

Here's another example of the same Lockwood Major Cabinets (sold for less than $200).

Attachments

• Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_1.jpg
    Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_1.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_5.jpg
    Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_5.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_6.jpg
    Lockwood Major Cabinet for Tannoy 15 Inch Red Gold Speaker_6.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
I still prefer the 4594 or dcx464 on a horn,
Also just realizing that these are coaxial compression drivers....maybe you could give a break down on how you feel about these in comparison to the single diaphragm compression drivers as well...I started with the liking's of the 4594 and similar BMS drivers and many people talked down on them. In the measurements its easy to see that the thd is higher than other drivers.

The Tannoy XT series are offered at 50% of the original retail prices everywhere, which make one wonder.
Interesting drivers though. It seems Tannoy drew some inspiration from Dr. Geddes' waveguides.

Both 6 and 8" are crossed at 1800Hz.

Attachments

• tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image4.jpg
    tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image4.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 403
  • tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image5.jpg
    tannoy-revolution-xt-8f-floor-standing-speaker-image5.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
This thread amazes me. I cant wait to read the latest updates each day.
The latest ones about the coaxials has me intrigued. The BMS look like good performers. If their 2" midrange compression drivers are anything to go by, then they should be awesome!
A Martian Bullfrog beater!!!

Last edited: