Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2019, 04:43 AM   #181
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

NOT ALLOWED:

Disruptive behavior of any sort, including offensive language, trolling, threadjacking, insults, intimidation, harassment or other disrespectful or antisocial behavior. (Notes 1 & 3)

Now I don’t want you guys to stop discussing the synergy design. Do not continue to discuss synergy all the while skipping over questions I’ve posted in my own thread, if you can post about what now is a side topic please at least lend me a hand on my quest.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:46 AM   #182
oohms is offline oohms  Australia
diyAudio Member

This doesn't require a horn:
PRV 5MR450-NDY for FAST/WAW applications

Otherwise, the K402 is just a giant conical horn with a tractrix mouth that can be approximated by any kind of rounding that is roughly similar. Don't be too fussy about it

Another compression driver you should look at (i haven't tried one first hand, yet) - JBL 2453H-SL
Old 21st March 2019, 04:57 AM   #183
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

What I’m most concerned about is exit size, I’m starting to think that 2” is not the product for the job, considering 700hz isn’t that low of a crossover and that 1.4 will have a better top end. Is this correct thinking?

I’ll check out your link and ty for taking the time

Last edited by camplo; 21st March 2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 21st March 2019, 05:26 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

Not much of a difference.. 1.4" and 2" drivers usually share the same design/diaphragms, but at 1.4" the horn starts earlier and usually influences the pattern control to a higher frequency than 2" drivers that often have long throats
Old 21st March 2019, 05:35 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

At 700hz, you can look at other horns, like the 18sound xt1464

Check out this thread too
active two way with HF144 compression driver and LTH142 horn
Old 21st March 2019, 06:05 AM   #186
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

I use my XT1464/HF146 combination with a crossover frequency of 650Hz.

Regards

Charles
Old 21st March 2019, 07:57 AM   #187
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
What I’m most concerned about is exit size, I’m starting to think that 2” is not the product for the job, considering 700hz isn’t that low of a crossover and that 1.4 will have a better top end. Is this correct thinking?

I’ll check out your link and ty for taking the time

The exit is just one aspect of a compression driver.
Before jumping to conclusions, it makes sense to dive a little deeper into the inards and compare drivers.
Faital-Pro for instance, offers several 1.4" (exit) drivers, some with a 65mm diaphragm and some with 74mm diaphragm. The latter versions will allow a lower XO.

Besides, some drivers with a larger diaphragm outperform smaller diaphragm drivers, even at the top end. This could be attributed to many aspects, but most likely: magnet structure, differences in the design of the phase-plug, the diaphragm material, the suspension of the diaphragm.

One example is the RCF mentioned previously. Contrary to what one would expect, the 2" exit version appears to outperform the 1.4".

Finally, the horn used can make a big difference. As a rule of thumb: you want to match the exit angle, but more importantly: the flare rate of the (conical) exit section of the driver to the throat section of the horn. A 'pancake style' driver with the phase-plug close to the exit and a larger exit angle is a better match to a waveguide (rapid expansion rate at the apex), whereas a driver with a longer conical exit (phase plug further back from the exit) and a smaller exit angle often work better with more traditional horns. Those are longer horns with a low flare rate at the apex> Exponential, Tractrix, Spherical etc.

Last edited by Ro808; 21st March 2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 21st March 2019, 08:13 AM   #188
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Please consider the fact that some of the faital 2" drivers are just 1.4" versions with an adapter. So the Advantage of these would only be the usability with 2" horns which are often larger with a subsequently lower cutoff frequency.

Regards

Charles
Old 21st March 2019, 09:26 AM   #189
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

What about the Faital Pro 18FH500, reasonable price, seems very smooth. Might work with xo at 800hz.
RCF L18P300 also seems ok, a bit lower sensitivity.

The Faital Pro 18HP1030 almost seems like having incorporated BSC, looks nice.
Beyma 18PWB1000Fe might be something to look at.
Precision Devices PD.186/2
... Fane Colossus 18SB (?)
Old 21st March 2019, 12:09 PM   #190
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Well the first post that went in this direction, to have a little clarity to my inquisition, it’s buried behind other post about synergies
951 vs 950 radians
Both have the same internals, only difference is exit size, the model with a 1.4 exit seems to have a smoother response than the one with a 2” exit. If the difference between the two is extension in one direction or the other then I’d likely go for the 1.4” version

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!