Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2019, 08:36 AM   #1521
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
Well, you said it was "loud" and k2 is below 1% and the higher order harmonics are even lower.
If the frist squiggle line is k2, then it's not below 1%, it at about -35dB, so around 1.8% actually. Now that doesn't mean it's bad because we don't know the actual level..

Here is a plot of a HF146 on XT1464 with correctly marked levels:
Click the image to open in full size.
That is at about -40dB at 105dB, which is about 1% even down to 500Hz. That is not to shabby for home usage I'd say.

Last edited by 4real; 26th July 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:48 AM   #1522
daemonsgr is offline daemonsgr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
Why do you want an 8 ohm ?
I always choose a 16 ohm, because I know I have to pad down a CD to mate with whatever drivers are used below, even at 16 ohms.
(not an expert so more advice is alway welcome!)

The LF is a 2226h in a 120-130L BR tuned around 38hz. Doing the CAD design at the moment and waiting for the LF delivery (in like a month...).

I though that its better to keep Ohms to 8 as its the easiest for most apms to drive (including a little tube for example), I might be wrong thought.

Cen you elaborate on the pat down? Will some attenuation get the impedance to half?
thanks

Last edited by daemonsgr; 26th July 2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 26th July 2019, 09:57 AM   #1523
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the frist squiggle line is k2, then it's not below 1%, it at about -35dB, so around 1.8% actually. Now that doesn't mean it's bad because we don't know the actual level..
You have to look at the HD scale when you interpret that graph.

Quote:
That is at about -40dB at 105dB, which is about 1% even down to 500Hz. That is not to shabby for home usage I'd say.
No - that is not too bad and it is actually the driver that I am using. Although the HF144 should be a little better in this respect according to what I have read. But the HF146 is a bit more linear from the frequency response POV.

Regards

Charles
Old 26th July 2019, 10:32 AM   #1524
Audio Elite is offline Audio Elite  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Can be crossover - improved I posted above will be tested.
I love this driver, especially the 4592 dedicated mid driver. In the right horn and well designed crossover, it is super smooth and has incredible midrange detail and clarity.
Old 26th July 2019, 12:34 PM   #1525
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
HF146
If the 29 degree exit is as they say, this would change the face of waveguide needs for this driver.
Old 26th July 2019, 01:29 PM   #1526
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

The exit angles of the Faital drivers are differing quite a bit between their models. Interestingly all the published frequerncy response curves are measured on the LTH142 waveguide.

Regards

Charles
Old 26th July 2019, 04:37 PM   #1527
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Elite View Post
I love this driver, especially the 4592 dedicated mid driver. In the right horn and well designed crossover, it is super smooth and has incredible midrange detail and clarity.
My comments wrt the BMS were a bit harsh.
For lower SPLs at home, the reported distortion is problably less problematic.

I mostly buy drivers with an excellent reputation among pro users.

While I have little doubt the DCX464 will beat the BMS coaxials, it's still a (compromised) product developed with specific PA applications in mind, for which high output and portability are major design considerations.

This BI-AMPED LINE ARRAY 1600W + 640W - 147 DB SPL (PEAK) is such a product:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Ro808; 26th July 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 26th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #1528
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Interestingly all the published frequerncy response curves are measured on the LTH142 waveguide.
Hmm, maybe not ideal, but I would hope that what's important can transcend this limitation..
Old 26th July 2019, 05:24 PM   #1529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The exit angles of the Faital drivers are differing quite a bit between their models. Interestingly all the published frequerncy response curves are measured on the LTH142 waveguide.

Regards

Charles
Up to about 10 degrees variance in exit angles with a slow flaring horn doesn't make much difference.

Last edited by Ro808; 26th July 2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 26th July 2019, 06:13 PM   #1530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post

I though that its better to keep Ohms to 8 as its the easiest for most amps to drive (including a little tube for example)

SETs and other low power tube amps like higher impedances.
You'll need KT88s and similar heavyweights to breath life into typical PA woofers such as the 2226.

A 15PR400 is the better option for low power tube amps.

Last edited by Ro808; 26th July 2019 at 06:17 PM.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!