Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2019, 06:42 PM   #1411
suparub is offline suparub
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone and WOW ! Trying to acknowledge all the great information on this topic and my brain starts to overload after the 15th page.

So what did camplo decided at the end ? I have a similar problematic which is "how to build an high spl, full spectrum 2 way system" and I'm trying to find directions

Goal : max ~130SPL / Frequency range : 40Hz - 20Khz
Crossover cut : 700 / 800Hz
My driver choices :
Sub : RCF LF15N401 - 15" Woofer or RCF MB15N401 - 15" Mid Bass
Tops : RCF ND840 - 1.4" Compression Driver with Product Detail - RCF

The big question : which kind of enclosure should I build for the subs ? I was thinking tapped horn but it would limit them to 200hz maximum. So I believe vented is the choice, if so, any tip about the volume / tuning frequency ?

The little question : As the subs and the tops will be in 2 different enclosures, at which distance should I place them in order to "phase them" ? I am not so familiar with phasing and to make speakers resonate in order to get the best global SPL / sound experience, so any guide / tip would be welcomed !

Maybe someone who follows this topic (and whom have acquired much more information than me so far) could help me to decide. Here is the topic I have started :
2 similar drivers in 2 different enclosures ?

Hope this is not too off-topic ^^
Old 22nd July 2019, 06:49 PM   #1412
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

camplo, OB's generally need quite a lot of space and are not really suited for nearfield monitoring.
In addition, you'll need cone area in order to have some bass.

The Reflector Bespoke P1805s shown in the studio (a few posts ago) are located :
1. in a fairly big control room
2. at least 1.5-2m from the desk
3. with space behind 'em.
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:36 PM   #1413
diyAudio Member

Suparub, nice choice of drivers.

Weltersys is right, it's not recommended to mix TH and BR.
I would (also) stick to BR.

Readers of this thread may ask themselves: why are most large format studio monitors BR systems?

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd July 2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:57 PM   #1414
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4real View Post
Of source there is one big difference to a true coax, and that is that lobing behaviour will depend on the x-over point (als slope in the end). With a center to center spacing of less than 46cm for the 18" version, an x-over of than 700Hz should give a good result. Some more interesting stuff can be found in this topic regarding the two woofer version: Study of a Dipole/Cardioid Bass Horn , where a V-shaped dipole horn is simulated.
Well, I just tried fooling around with that AkAbak script a bit. Looks like the two woofer version might have lower beam width in the horizontal plane than the vertical MTM plane. I wasn't expecting that. The vertical beam actually matches quite well with the waveguide.
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:19 PM   #1415
diyAudio Member

Anybody recognize the chair in the background?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:22 PM   #1416
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
camplo, OB's generally need quite a lot of space and are not really suited for nearfield monitoring.
Not quite sure I agree- several of the disadvantages of OBs are mitigated through nearfield use. Max SPL goes up dramatically near vs. far field, and there should be less apparent LF loss (there are several mechanisms at work here, I won't pretend to know how they net out for a given scenario).

The other big one is LF EQ- with more SPL capability, come fewer driver requirements/limitations. You can push that 6" down to 40 much more comfortably OB nearfield than you can at 12ft.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:00 PM   #1417
diyAudio Member

Not being an OB expert either, I am quite sure about the less than optimal near-field qualities.
If the OB concept were the end to all loudspeaker concepts, it would dominate the market, I suppose.

Despite my doubts, I look for an opportunity to listen to the Reflector Bespokes.
Because, if you want to get rid of the box, why not get rid of all panels completely?

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd July 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:21 PM   #1418
diyAudio Member

Braun was the only company allowed to sell an oem version of the Quad ESL.

Last edited by Ro808; 22nd July 2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:27 PM   #1419
peterbrorsson is offline peterbrorsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
Anybody recognize the chair in the background?

I don't see any chair
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:34 PM   #1420
peterbrorsson is offline peterbrorsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If any loudspeaker suitable for nearfield, it should be naked bass drivers with horn as depicted. Not much of room interference then, or??

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!