Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I've been watching this thread since the beginning. Great information.
I think I'm still on topic with this.
I've done cabinet and crossover modeling for these items and they look pretty good for a 2-way to be used with a subwoofer.
Eminence Deltalite II 2512
Eminence N151M-8 coupled with Eminence WG-10

5.38 cu. ft. cabinet
- starting point dimensions for 2:3:5 ratio 34" x 21" x 14"
- tuned to 42Hz, F3 40Hz

SPL ~95dB +/- 2dB or better is achievable

Well, that's all.

Last edited:
Ro808, GM....and those of you who have been apart of this thread the whole way

Why is it that this combo hasn't been pressed forward as a candidate (Celestion Axi2050 + H1-9040P) Did we talk about this driver at all? I may have missed it or glanced over it, but it seems special? I can't figure out exactly what people are saying about its experience but they are comparing it in application to beryllium, same as aquaplas I would imagine but, its titanium with some unique engineering, almost like a folded horn before exiting, greatly reducing breakup high and low in the register.

I was hoping for some clarity of, or maybe comparison to, what I've went with, or do you think this driver would better for my application. I could see running this driver with a jmlc/ejmlc/iwata etc.

Well, as I've mentioned, I've made no real attempt to stay current, hence most of the drivers mentioned I've either only known just the brand or a few models and since these forums are point source/HIFI centric, mostly just cone, domes, so all these combos are news to me.

GM

Large Format Compression Drivers

I have no data on that. I don't do it, mostly because I don't believe that it has any advantages.

There is no reason that it couldn't be done, it's just not, which says something about its appeal.

Think Community M-4.

Hi Earl,

Besides the M4 there is also CMCD versions from JBL. I have attached information on both, for those interested in the design and application of such drivers. For PA work, keeping the voice band intact has some advantages. Also an offering from BMS looks interesting as well.

Regards,

Bill

Attachments

• CMCD_TechNote.pdf
    409.4 KB · Views: 58
  • JBL_PD743i_SpecSheet.pdf
    200.9 KB · Views: 43
  • M4_SPEC.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
  • M4_TECH1.pdf
    204.5 KB · Views: 83
  • M4_TECH2.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 43
  • M4_TECH3.pdf
    654.5 KB · Views: 41
  • M4_TECH4.pdf
    684.3 KB · Views: 37
  • M4_TECH5.pdf
    313 KB · Views: 32
  • bms_4599nd_Spec.pdf
    419.9 KB · Views: 49
There are much more important things and I love this thread for that exactly - if you open your mind a bit and just go a listen to something similar to what you guys are discussing here it might change your life.

I don't get what you'd like to tell us with that cryptic statement. Are you a proponent or opponent of the big two-ways ?

Regards

Charles

Haha, cryptic comes from trying to express yourself in a foreign language, trying to say much and show respect to both the engineering masters who really make it right and the guys who do not find comfort in just measurements.

Once I heard the JBL 4367 there is no going back. The JBL rep in the Munich booth asked which other speakers I liked and I honestly told him the only ones were the Magico M6. He smiled and said that they cost 150 000 euro compared to the 15 000euro for the 4367. My answer was that the have millions of R&D and some 60 years behind it."70, actually but you caught me" was his reply :)

This is the most interesting thread I have seen in years and I truly hope there will be a high sensitivity 2way with a low crossover point to 15inch. A better 4367 in a way.

How crazy is it to hope there might be a custom FaitalPro 15" with some of the points made on the thread? Mated to HF1440 when it comes out and becomes the new legend in audio, the Holy Grail of compression drivers?

Haven't heard from AE after a weeks wait. Does anyone have any inside info about Acoustic Elegance's production predicaments, or status in general. No updates on the facebook page either. =(

Doesn't necessarily mean much (unless you've already ordered and are waiting on delivery info). I first bought speakers back when they were Nick McKinney's Lambda speakers - and it took around 6 months for delivery. Worth every minute.
Did you try using PM-ing from their Facebook page? Might get a response.

Hi ! What about the Altec Lansing's ‘Voice of the Theatre’ ?

Pair-ALTEC-LANSING-Voice-of-the-Theater-VOTT-A7-500.jpg

Is there any better in 2 way / high spl / low distortion ?

Doesn't necessarily mean much (unless you've already ordered and are waiting on delivery info). I first bought speakers back when they were Nick McKinney's Lambda speakers - and it took around 6 months for delivery. Worth every minute.

I ordered like 3-4 months ago, and I've amended that order once, and now want to amend it again, is all.

What in particular did you like about it ? I guess it is what most people like about big two ways with 15" woofers: Effortless bass response with authority. Isn't it ?

Regards

Charles

While I certainly appreciate the bass and the way it plays Dave Grohl's "Mantra" it was the mid up that was impressive. I felt the same way when I first heard the Mark Levinson 360s - lots of detail that's extremely different than the thin, bright sound that a lower level DAC tries to present as resolution. Seriously, I would love the C1 and the 4367 to have a child but there is no question who I would take home with me.

I guess Harman engineers use all that knowledge that Mitch is trying to spread around, his book was the revelation I was waiting for all my life in building, buying/selling literally hundreds of devices.

But it is hard to admit that all that time you have been changing caps, cables, amps in the pursuit of something listenable has been in vain. No one tells us the room plays a tremendous part in the results. Can you imagine how many people go to a show room, fall in love with a speaker(system) and bringing the speaker home they get a huge slap in the face... And become easy pray trying to recreate that with throwing money at problems that do not exist or at least are nothing compared to the room effects.

I am certainly tempted to try the HHH Calpamos or a later development in that direction. I don't really need to go down that low if I get the dynamics, clarity, tonal balance. I hope that makes sense.

Hi ! What about the Altec Lansing's ‘Voice of the Theatre’ ?

Pair-ALTEC-LANSING-Voice-of-the-Theater-VOTT-A7-500.jpg

Is there any better in 2 way / high spl / low distortion ?

I’ve always wondered what that design would sound like with a coaxial driver? (Without the top)
Anyone ever try that?

And if you could miniaturize to say a 8” coax setup just like that ‘loaded slot horn’ (or whatever that is called?) over a 15” bottom?

Bob

I was under the impression that Nick McKinney had passed away? Please correct me if I am in error.

Gedlee, I was curious, the experiment you talked about concluding that compression drivers sound more similar than not....that had to be independent from the variable of diaphragm material and/or exit size....right?

The diaphragms in both drivers were aluminum without any additives. From what I have seen the additives and exotic materials make very little measurable difference below 10 kHz, which is where it really matters, so I would not expect any change in the results with any of these modifications. I think that they are more hype than reality.

My take on lowering the crossover point - as seems to be common here - is that yes it's a good idea as long as one accepts the tradeoffs (huge size) and does it right (which is rare.) The most important things are matching the directivity at the crossover, which becomes almost untenable for waveguide size as the crossover point moves down. Almost no one here seems to be looking at the directivity control of these larger horns at their lower end. I highly doubt that they control directivity down to the "cutoff" point that they claim. Cutoff is a fictional parameter that does not mean that the device controls directivity down to that point. I wonder if people really understand this point.

I am very leary of crossover points below about 800 Hz since, in my experience, things get unwieldy if you try to go below that. I've never seen a design that I thought would be satisfactory. The larger horns and drivers will cause serious problems at the high end, requiring yet another UHF driver and crossover - to be avoided at all cost IMO.