Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

If it was a point source, but its extreme HF is being squeezed/homogenized through a phase plug, so seems reasonable that it's the area between the phase plug/throat where it all goes awry, so don't see how Aquaplas is going to help this high up.

For sure, back in the day when we were experimenting with Dammar, shellac, lacquer hair spray, etc., we could really change the mid-band, but when we damped the surrounds where the extreme HF originated, it was an 'all or nothing' change, which some folks preferred and added super tweeters.

GM

Would the jbl 2453 be in the same boat? I think Mitchba has this driver, and hes posted measurements before.

At first glance, it would seem like Alnico would be the best material for a loudspeaker motor, but with a high enough current spike, it is possible to partially demagnetize the motor.

8dTx3zV.jpg

Loudspeakers are still evolving, which is a good thing. Info on alnico loudspeaker demagnetizing:
Alnico Magnets and Degaussing (Losing their magnetic field) - Great Plains Audio

And that's the BIG trouble, but a lighter moving system won't help you for a better midrange in that case (typically) - that's what I meant. There's just no reason it should sound any better. It may be easier to implement, to that I agree.
You are right, lighter Mms will have the same problem as heavier Mms in a two way crossed higher. If that was such a problem, every smaller format two way would be unlistenable since the crossover frequencies are higher but we still want to reproduce those 40-45Hz.

Lighter cones are hardly easier to implement in general. As you've said before, they can suffer from energy storage issues throughout wider part of the passband unlike thick heavy cones that are stiffer and usually have just one pronounced breakup. On the other hand, when low Mms drivers are done right, the sound is unprecedented.

Last edited:
Put those special woofers with special parameter set like Altec 416 or 15FH500 (16 ohm) in big vented enclosure (280liters ~ 10 cu ft) and you have both!

...And don't try to squish out every additional Hz at the bottom end.

My point wasn't so much about heavy cones not able to produce mids per se, but rather about the power requirements due to a much lower efficiency.

In the thread that Zvu referred to, Dr. Geddes stated the TBX100/NBX100 in the Summa/NS-15 are crossed at 700Hz, which is an octave below breakup.

I see a bigger issue in pushing a (modern) 1" below 1000Hz, especially the DE500.

Last edited:
Before NS15 it was just Summa and employed 15tbx100 and de250. If you do the search through the forum, Earl mentioned everything from 800-950Hz as a crossover frequency. I remember, and will find that screenshots of Summa polars that have rather small but obvious narrowing at 1000Hz. That wouldn't form with 700Hz - as it does not with NS15. Summa was passive loudspeaker for a long time. My guess is that with DSP the crossover frequency went down.

Last edited:
Would the jbl 2453 be in the same boat? I think Mitchba has this driver, and hes posted measurements before.

It appears to be a similar pancake design, so probably, but without measurements.............

GM

Frequency response and distortion measures for the JBL 2453H-SL here and here.
Mine measure the same, (I posted those before) and with DSP, I am down 3 dB at 20 kHz with no wiggles in fr. Sounds good to my ears.

Thanks Mitch!

At the beginning of the second thread there's a sobering judgment:
"I considered using the D2430k, but I like the 4" Aquaplas and Be CDs better after comparing them back to back".

A pair of those diy JBL center speakers would probably make a decent (near) fullrange system.

4TKI4z2.jpg

Last edited:
Frequency response and distortion measures for the JBL 2453H-SL I am down 3 dB at 20 kHz with no wiggles in fr. Sounds good to my ears.

Thanks! Proves my assumption. ;) Guess we have different definitions for 'wiggles', mine includes 'saw tooth' response.

Regardless, I've no doubt it sounds fine to most folks, me included, which is beside my point. ;)

All my efforts to get the best driver/horn connection went mostly unnoticed except by keen eared women, children who preferred its HF damped down above 8 kHz, so vowed never again to pay much attention to reproducing, much less enhancing, the > ~15 kHz/F3 the pioneers decreed was sufficient for HIFI playback.

GM

Mitchba is not the only influential character to make that statement. It has been my game plan that depending on how the aquaplas worked I may or may not upgrade to beryllium. It’d be nice to find a pair of them for under 800. I’m still working with Erik to see if I want to purchase the Ejmlc he has, he also has 23” tractrix I’m kinda interested in. I wonder if he has an iwata....

My ears top out at 17khz or so...in high school (almost 20 years ago) a crt tv left on with no picture playing, in a silent room would drive me insane, which I’ve learned is at 15khz yet, only one other kid in class could hear it.

And to think, I’m a drummer

Last edited:
All my efforts to get the best driver/horn connection went mostly unnoticed except by keen eared women, children who preferred its HF damped down above 8 kHz, so vowed never again to pay much attention to reproducing, much less enhancing, the > ~15 kHz/F3 the pioneers decreed was sufficient for HIFI playback.

GM

The pathological tendency to focus on the top octave is beyond me - and not because of hearing loss.

It doesn't surprise me at all many JBL freaks prefer the straightforward 4" drivers to the 'high-tech' 2430K.

Anyone who prefers a modern 1" compression driver to a 3" (or bigger) diaphragm in the 500-1000Hz range, should have his/her ears checked.