Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Certain people in this thread are very fortunate that being the creator of this thread, that I don’t have ability to ban.
According to rules, off topic post are a violation, if we aren’t discussing full range two ways or something close to that nature you are wasting my time, and being the creator of the thread I’m certain I know why I created it, so it’s not really a discussable topic
Either focus your energy back to speaker design or...I dunno...I’ll subscribe your emails to spam mail lol!!!

Bill and Ro808, thank you for posting that and I second that motion.

I don’t worship anyone but if anyone is here contributing in a positive way, and then someone starts making things personal, I will beat up the antagonist, over the internet. If you don’t know how to get along and work productively, chances are your discipline in other areas, are flawed as well and consequently, your contributions. Get it? Now behave

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, that's a contributing factor as well.
The diaphragms of the HF108 and HF108R are not interchangeable.

This combined with the different throat section (compared to the HF107) does affect the response and the perceived soundquality.

Did you also try the HF107 with the PRV horn?

I did indeed. Music is softer/refined/delicate with the HF108R

I also tried H812 horn. Very nice even presentation too. Music has more richness/body in the mids. Obviously the horn changes the response. The HF107 on this horn seems to work better than the waveguide.

I know they are all subjective terms, so no 'facts' or usefulness. :D

Note I am listening very close range (~2 meters away).

a 2nd pair? How big is your lounge tuyen?

Previous room with the 50hz front loaded Azurahorn bass horns was 12x8m. Current room is 5x4m :)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm currently running an active crossover fixed at 1khz with 24/db slope. Took 5 minutes to switch the horn around and listen. Enough time for me to still remember what it sounded like with the previous configuration. :D Certainly in no way a true or thorough method for anything conclusive, but it's all just a bit of fun for me really. I'll leave the experts to debate on the 'correct way' of doing things!

Last edited:
I quoted the posts in a manner that everyone can go an read so they don't miss the context - and preferably don't jump to conclusions.

My bad choice of words? :) 'Clash' has colloquial meaning in my city. Everything that is opposing to anything else. I don't know what "personal vendeta" you are referring to. In what post have i ever told anything on personal basis (to anyone)? Five years ago is probably the last time i had any contact with Earl. I don't understand all this fuss you guys are making.

When so many of you write hickup, disrespect or something else for that matter, i would kindly ask of you to point to the guy and part of the post where that is evident. This way you are making a different opinion and point of view 'a clear case of disrespect'.

Cheers

Agree with you.

I shouldn't say it but when I get to diyAudio I usually just search for gedlee's posts to see where something interesting has been going on. That I call time effectively spent :cheers:

Are you serious? In any case, this is a very interesting point of view on the 99+% of participants and contributions to this forum!

I've heard many of these round horns, which claimed to go up to full HF but no concept has convinced me, because the sound picture is already changed, if you tilt your head a little to the side. Have you ever heard a big round horn that went up to full hf and had no SHT? If you can live with this... but you can never call it a reference design.

Guys, just a question as this puzzles me - when you try and compare all those horns and drivers, do you allways measure it acoustically for all the polars to make a proper crossover? Or how do you do it? It must take a heck of a time.

I’m probably oversimplifying it but, from the get go you can assume that the dimension of the mouth negates the directivity of the horn and once the size of wavelength is bigger than any of those dimensions along the circumference that its directivity is a loosing battle no different than when a wave length is bigger than the circumference on a woofer....I’m definitely no expert but I assumed this to be true by the polar data of a 350hz tractrix which opening is ~15” and a 15” woofer which has similar polars according to the modeling I tinkered with, at frequencies bigger than mouth of the horn.

Docali, If the horn does not suit me, I guess I can just try another horn, I didn’t think it was that complicated, rather, a journey. I really like the off axis performance of round horns so, I’d say that this may be highly personal and that it may be a stretch for you to decide what is or is not a reference design based on that one insignificant aspect. I consider how linear the rest of the off axis response of a long round horn to be a huge advantage in referencing. The potential of a extremely flat voicing as result of not having to eq other horn induced anomalies is appeasing as well. Still I’ve accepted that this may or may not be the horn for me, and the driver behind it suits me and my endeavor. I theorized that best performance of any HF driver was within the first 15 degrees so even though it’s not as obvious, even a 1” done requires the same discipline in the approach of critical listen technique.

Are you serious? In any case, this is a very interesting point of view on the 99+% of participants and contributions to this forum!
I said I shouldn't say it. But come on, it's the reality :)
And please don't imply something I didn't say. It's just an implication "Geddes speaking -> high chance there's something to learn". It doesn't say anything about the rest...

Guys, just a question as this puzzles me - when you try and compare all those horns and drivers, do you allways measure it acoustically for all the polars to make a proper crossover? Or how do you do it? It must take a heck of a time.

I guess this is what Geddes mean when saying CD's are a commodity. If equalized to the same response and polar pattern, they sound the same. Most of the opinions about drivers boils down to this I assume...

Once again, I have no idea what I'm talking about....but I would think it starts by ball parking it between the diameters of the driver and horn being mated and getting the horn down to the point to where it starts to loose directivity.....a task that would be impossible for a driver that cannot play down to that frequency required for the horn or a woofer size that is still being quite directional past the point that a horn has lost control of the dispersion pattern....then add in the unique situations like maybe a xover where the horn and woofer are being quite directional but if one is significantly more directive, that wouldn't be choice .....so some planning would need to go into choosing a driver, horn, woofer combo...Once the wavelength is larger than the horns circumference or maybe to some degree, one of the dimensions of the square or rectangle horn...dispersion can be hypothesized with the same formulas we use to calculate the KA/directivity of dynamic drivers....so that should get rid of a lot of guess work as to what may be happening when put this stuff into application...I would think that identical circumference/diameters between woofer and horn to be mated, would be choice.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just don’t go for such a big horn and let the woofers play higher? My experience does mirror doceli wrt drivers playing highs on a big (ie 200-350hz) round horn.

Having owned the AE TD15M (with Apollo upgrade) in solid sealed cabs, can san they play upto 2khz very well without sounding ‘muddy’, despite what some are saying issues with about low mms drivers or whatever.