Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2019, 09:43 PM   #1241
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The latest Bullfrog is coming up.
Its driver is easy to recognize, but there is more to it.

The driver on the left image above is most likely a McCauley.
The Bullfrog was taken out of production for a number of years after the US manufacturer closed its doors.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:33 AM   #1242
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Did someone mention the woofer? That would be the jewel of the design. That and the horn, but being crossed at 650hz, wtf? The majority of the woofer is covered by the horn, that would have to be the major drawback of the design though I'm not sure how that fairs out. I guess since its symmetrical from every angle, eq takes care of that problem. Also, the horn is too small to load properly to 650hz but I guess its more of a waveguide so whats the totality of that? Lowered sound quality I suppose. I'm not knocking the design, I love it actually, but I am trying to nit pick....makes me feel better since I am already invested into my/our design. At the very least, my bottom line was 30ish to 20khz-ish, linear, fewest amount of drivers possible. I think at the beginning of the thread I was talking of FAST (aka WAW?) configurations. The bullfrog isn't going to play linear into the 30's but it would make a nice combo with subwoofer, for sure. Just for fun, is there a nice woofer and horn available for the DIYer to create their own Bullfrog? I didn't even know you could buy horns that fit into the available coaxial woofers.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:16 AM   #1243
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess since its symmetrical from every angle, eq takes care of that problem.
....on axis that is, the polar has to suffer from this alignment, I'd think.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:23 AM   #1244
Flaesh is offline Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

For example, the previously mentioned Product Detail - RCF
Old 12th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #1245
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I like it! I was interested in the Beyma co-axials briefly...like has been said, there is no silver bullet....yet.... I would like to find some affordable wooden horns though. Otherwise I am happy with the path that I am on. I've come to understand that fiberglass horns have their own set of drawbacks and why wood is the sought after horn.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:33 AM   #1246
diyAudio Member

There are plenty of 15" coaxials with horns available from B&C, Beyma, BMS, Oberton, RCF etc.
The RCF CX15N351 is quite special, because of the bigger compression driver.
The horn is rather small indeed. In order to enlarge the mouth somewhat, Martion mounts the inner convex Aluminium ring.

Last edited by Ro808; 12th July 2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:41 AM   #1247
diyAudio Member

But! The RCF in the Bullfrog is made to Martions specs. And while there's no complete list, because these are trade secrets, I can tell the mods are subtantial.

I'll post more info later. l'm on the phone now.

Last edited by Ro808; 12th July 2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:58 AM   #1248
diyAudio Member

The RCF is a nice coax, but I would prefer a soft suspension in the comp.
The driver is basically the N640.
According to the info I've gathered Martion uses another diaphragm, but the big break-up spike is still visible in measurements of the latest Bullfrog.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:28 AM   #1249
diyAudio Member

The good thing about the RCF CX15N351 is presumably a better handover between woofer and comp.

The passive Bullfrog, which was reintroduced some time after the active, has a 1" comp. and XO at 1500Hz.
The driver is, again, not identical to the RCF 15CXN251.

Last edited by Ro808; 12th July 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12th July 2019, 02:51 AM   #1250
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
I've come to understand that fiberglass horns have their own set of drawbacks and why wood is the sought after horn.
They both have the same problem in that its Fs needs to be either well above or well below its pass band and why the pioneers opted for thin tin horns encased in tar.

For the DIYer; MDF, better still, cheap particleboard with concrete, stone, etc., obviously best, then properly seal the inside since there's no such thing as too smooth, especially in the first 4-5" [includes any driver internal throat], just a point of diminishing returns.

Anybody tried any of the new super slick spray coatings used on race cars, etc., on horns?

GM

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!