Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2019, 11:29 PM   #1141
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
low powered amp............

A theory is all the dc (with noise) that is sitting on the output devices that are unused messes up sound quality.
Care to explain?

I would relate noise issues to gain structure rather than to amplifier topology, provided the design of the circuitry and quality of components is decent.
I am not an amplifier expert by any means, but have used quite a few.
Old 22nd June 2019, 03:28 AM   #1142
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Not really ? Lol

Just a theory from a buddy at work.

Not noise, more like tube roar, or maybe blacker blacks.

Last edited by norman bates; 22nd June 2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 25th June 2019, 03:42 AM   #1143
diyuser2010 is online now diyuser2010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post

There are a few prosound amps such as Linea Research and Powersoft that I'd be happy running at 2R.
The QSC PLX's don't fall in that category. IME, they need a real stiff line supply to keep from dropping out at 2R.

200 amp panel, located less than 15 feet from where the amplifiers reside. The utility pole transformer is approximately 75 - 80 feet from the service entrance wiring stack.

A smaller amplifier could be used on the compression drivers.
Old 25th June 2019, 02:11 PM   #1144
mark100 is online now mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyuser2010 View Post
200 amp panel, located less than 15 feet from where the amplifiers reside. The utility pole transformer is approximately 75 - 80 feet from the service entrance wiring stack.

A smaller amplifier could be used on the compression drivers.
That's good.

I have good service too, and ran 10 gauge dedicated short runs from the panel to try to eliminate dropouts. Helped, but still had drops on heavy bass transients.
Forget a PLX with extension cords, LoL....prosound forums are full of such threads.
It appears the fact that the caps in the PLX's aren't up to the same spec as in the Powerlight's, is the dropout culprit.
I've never had an equivalent wattage PL3 drop where the PLX did....but in fairness to QSC, there's a reason PLX cost less, huh?

Yep to smaller amp for the CD. A used 4ch CX amp goes for peanuts on ebay.... if you're biamping the BMS..
Old 30th June 2019, 07:30 PM   #1145
Audio Elite is offline Audio Elite  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Did this thread die a death, it had to be one of the fastest threads to 100 pages and great to follow
Old 30th June 2019, 11:52 PM   #1146
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Elite View Post
Did this thread die
This thread could "get a second wind" when designs using the new 1.4" B&C DCX464 coaxial compression driver, and the new wide bandwidth 1.4" Faital HF1440 compression driver go through measurement and listener testing.

A small group buy on the SEOS-24 and these new CDs would also add blood, sweat, and ears.
Old 1st July 2019, 02:50 AM   #1147
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, don't recall the desired BW, but for 20-20 kHz split by equal acoustic power we get a ~632 Hz XO, then another at ~3557 Hz with a co-ax, so ideally need a ~2.875" diameter horn/driver throat with downstream phase plug.

Probably will remain a 'pipe dream', so even with a new co-ax we're stuck with some hefty compromises re 'accurate' reproduction and why best overall to DIY MEHs + sub system if an option.

GM
Old 1st July 2019, 03:01 AM   #1148
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I'll smoke that pipe... later.

Last edited by Ro808; 1st July 2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 1st July 2019, 05:30 AM   #1149
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Its not dead, its in the cocoon stage. I did research, you guys did research, compromises where made, and strengths were focused where it mattered most to the designer. Now it is up to me to apply it all. I am going to do my best, but breaking the norm on enclosure design doesn't look likely. Read that as, monkey coffin (lol). Slotted port between drivers.
The 630hz xover is interesting. I didn't know it was a happy median of sorts. I just copied the jbl xover point of the 4722, wisely I might say.
Random idea; I was thinking of creating a multi slot port (8) copying the Onken in a round about way. Maybe some of the benefits will transfer. A true onken requires a 22 cbft box for one driver. Way too big.
HiFi Loudspeaker Design
I will say that using the bottom woofer as a "sub" is kinda making sense right now. Especially for the vertical array. Lower woofer, low passed at 130hz or so though I'm not sure why not just stick with the straight up 2 way...I was thinking......think think think...
I finally received my horns from Germany, all appears to be in order there.... I am flipping back n forth from vertical and horizontal array for the woofers. Horizontal array appears to be better, vertical has less horizontal dispersion....seemingly desirable, along with a smaller footprint within the room.
I emailed AE, asking if it were possible to make the woofers in 16ohm...sigh

I do have faith in my finish abilities, though, I'm not picky, I have skills in that area. I keep getting ideas of greens, and slight blues, mostly green....dark forest green......woodgrain.....glossy.....Black horns....matte or gloss.

Last edited by camplo; 1st July 2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 1st July 2019, 08:01 PM   #1150
docali is offline docali  Germany
diyAudio Member

what you asked for still existed since decades. Look at Klangfilm or Voice of the Theatre. In the same way these Designs work with low Power amps. The very high end beyond 15k is not so important imho as less Musical Information is contained in this range. Therefore a 2way or 2.5 way is a more than appropriate approach.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!