Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Test Bench: Radian Audio Engineering 950PB and 760NEOPB Compression Drivers | audioXpress

And the 950 looks similarly rough up high, with a huge ridge in the csd at 15k. I have to say, my humble little radian 475 is looking better and better to me. Although as others have pointed out, if you have a huge room at ear bleed levels it will have less output capabilities than either of these when crossed at 500hz. Pick your poison I guess.

You ain't lying Cspieker. I'm still digging, day and night. You've been an advocate in helping me finish this project so thank you for your patience.
I did notice a chance to do something suggested by others in the past. The La'voce 18" I listed is very similar to the AE, cost about half the price....wouldn't I be winning if I ran 2 - la'voce 18" vs 1 - AE 18". I know running them together, to 16 ohms, would double the BL. Sounds like a win to me. Even less excursion, etc etc.

I need to go through this thread and research all the suggested drivers, again.

The center of the woofer and the center of the horn have to be as close as possible with the highish xo. So 2 18's would have to be mtm, it's a possibility, but a huuuge cabinet. My single 12 is crazy loud in an average size room, but I feed it 800 watts with a 14mm xmax. Just be sure whatever woofer you pick it goes low and has adequate xmax. I assume you are checking max spl Sims for your options with something like winisd.

If twins, more likely you would run them parallel at 4 ohms to get more juice out of your amp. Tubes are for horns, give the woofers some solid state current.

Overall, the 950 seems to be preferred.
I have no experience with Radian, but I'll verify this with someone who has (a lot).

Just to be clear: are you talking about the drivers with Aluminium or Beryllium diaphragms?

Regarding XT1464, 1086 and most of the RCF Horns, with the exception of the HF99, the discontinuities at the throats are indeed diffraction apertures.
However, these are not at all comparable to the oldskool sharp edged constrictions you'll find in many vintage horns from the 80's.
All the above horns are known to deliver exceptional sound quality, unless badly implemented.

Last edited:
Overall, the 950 seems to be preferred.
I have no experience with Radian, but I'll verify with someone who has (a lot).

Just to be clear: are you talking about the drivers with Aluminium or Beryllium diaphragms?

Regarding XT1464, 1086 and most of the RCF Horns, with the exception of the HF99, the discontinuities at the throats are indeed diffraction apertures.
However, these are not at all comparable to the oldskool sharp edged constrictions you'll find in many vintage horns from the 80's.
All the above horns are known to deliver exceptional sound quality, unless badly implemented.

Well thats comforting. I was thinking of a gigantic mtm....in a like an upside down V formation.. I might be getting carried away

unique solution #12380912387
Test Bench: Acustica Beyma TPL200/H Pro Sound Air Velocity Transformer | audioXpress

I'm trying to keep myself mindful of how high 10k-20k actually is....I'm likely being to critical of the curves in that region.

Last edited:
Well the first post that went in this direction, to have a little clarity to my inquisition, it’s buried behind other post about synergies
951 vs 950 radians
Both have the same internals, only difference is exit size, the model with a 1.4 exit seems to have a smoother response than the one with a 2” exit. If the difference between the two is extension in one direction or the other then I’d likely go for the 1.4” version

Yes, the 1.4" exit Radians are better and therefore preferred, unless your horns require a 2 inch exit.

Last edited:
I'm trying to keep myself mindful of how high 10k-20k actually is....I'm likely being to critical of the curves in that region.

I would not be blinded by 10-20k, as long as there's usable output without severe breakup issues.
The Radian 950PB 1.4 will be better than the 2" in the top octave.
But once again, performance is dependant on the horn as well.

Last edited:
From Dickason's measurements I would agree with that. OTOH Augsburger uses a 2" version on a custom radial horn.

Regards

Charles

Edit: I was a little slow. My post refers to # 207.

It's good to know what to look for in Vance Dickasons' measurements, before dismissing a driver.
He's got a limited assortment of horns at his disposal to run his tests. Often times a horn is used that doesn't match the driver very well (> the exit angle/flare rate match, I referred to in my earlier post).

Last edited:
I have to say, my humble little radian 475 is looking better and better to me.

Radian 475 for president!
I think it was well worth the money myself.

Edit:
I would be very hesitant to recommend an MTM solution with 18" drivers. It was "ok" on my 15"s but not great, personal preference = not stacked. Make separate boxes for everything from 15" and up, easier to change your mind on stuff if it's modular.

Last edited:
Update: the 951PB is the 1.4" exit version of the 950PB.

The 951 is recommended, because it's better, aspecially the top octave.
It's also recommended to find, or build the biggest horn that you can house.

In my earlier post I stated that I see more 950PBs around, but that's probably related to the 2" entrance horns that many people like to use with these.

Last edited:
For your inspiration...

Ascendo_Black_Swan_SMSG32.jpg

I have seen these, or similar, elliptical horns offered for €1000 a pair.
The width is about 1 meter.

1 Black Swan System (1x 15" active/DSP midbass cabs + 1 x Waveguide with BMS Coax) costs about €12.450 Euro .
But you need at least 2 of those.

Last edited:
I guess your listening room must be well sealed in order to reach 140 dB at 7 Hz with a whimpy 32" sub.

Indeed, but that sales pitch is not what the manufacturer states in the spec sheet.

Speaker type: Custom-built 32“ woofer, 16cm voice coil, 90mm linear excursion (world record), with AIA Speaker Management technology

Principle: Sealed
SPL: 120dB Cont./122dB Peak (@25Hz)
Frequency range: 7Hz to 65Hz
Amplifier: 6000W
Width x Height x Depth: 950 x 1200 x 550mm
Weight: 160kg

I like this text though:
Moving an incredible volume of 16.6 liters, the SMSG32 induces as much air per maximum stroke as fifteen standard 18" subwoofers.
SMSG32

Last edited: