Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2019, 01:51 AM   #101
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
I hope you take that in the spirit in which it is intended.
Thank you, but if I wanted to be lectured I'd reincarnate my mother. I don't do lots of flowery prose to sate those with delicate sensitivities, just state things how I see them. If you can't deal with that, don't read my posts.
I hope you take that in the spirit in which I intended it.
Old 15th March 2019, 01:55 AM   #102
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Fair enough, my apologies.
Old 15th March 2019, 01:58 AM   #103
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
Fair enough, my apologies.
Thank you for your very fair response. Cheers.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:24 AM   #104
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Really? I said I don't think it's large enough to load and hold directivity that low.
The way I took it was you implying that it couldn't play down to 300hz. Its rated to be able to play to 500hz where as, I implied using it at, 600hz. Can you clear that up for me?
The comments I was referring to, were on the reviews parts-express, from people who used the product, not anything said here.

Brett you seem passionate enough, if you have any suggestions on the materials, please share. In particular, is there even a waveguide of reasonable price that can play down to 300hz?
Old 15th March 2019, 05:42 AM   #105
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
The way I took it was you implying that it couldn't play down to 300hz. Its rated to be able to play to 500hz where as, I implied using it at, 600hz. Can you clear that up for me?
I generally ignore ratings and measure myself based on hard won experience. Whilst I haven't used that unit, I don't believe it will load well to 600Hz, nor hold pattern control till there. Happy to be shown to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
Brett you seem passionate enough, if you have any suggestions on the materials, please share. In particular, is there even a waveguide of reasonable price that can play down to 300hz?
First tell me which CD will do high SPL into a horn/WG at 300Hz. CDs have Xmax limitations like all other drivers.

If you really want a quality horn loaded source to do 300Hz to ~20k, build a Synergy.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:50 AM   #106
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't see the point in copying the passive into the DSP. If I wanted that response, I'd just use the passive.
Yes indeed it is the response, not so much the way you get there.
Old 15th March 2019, 07:44 AM   #107
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I generally ignore ratings and measure myself based on hard won experience. Whilst I haven't used that unit, I don't believe it will load well to 600Hz, nor hold pattern control till there. Happy to be shown to be wrong.

First tell me which CD will do high SPL into a horn/WG at 300Hz. CDs have Xmax limitations like all other drivers.

If you really want a quality horn loaded source to do 300Hz to ~20k, build a Synergy.
+1, just doing a quickie 'ballpark' assessment assuming wall angles are actually 90x40, then using 10^6/[angle*width], ~740 Hz x 2841 Hz with a mouth cutoff = ~246 Hz, axial length = ~372 Hz, so meets its stated 500 Hz cut-off: GM-450PB - goldwoodsound.com

Pretty typical of vintage spec horns once the mouth end correction is factored in, lowering the pattern a bit.

In short, no pattern control to 600 Hz and in its pattern flip BW only averaging ~1400 Hz.

Vintage spec Altec/GPA 1.4" exit series/311-90 expo does 300 Hz, though only to ~12.5 kHz at high SPL/SQ.

+1 Synergy concepts are currently where it's at for high SPL super wide BW at high SQ in a typical HIFI/HT app.

GM
Old 15th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #108
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Sounds like I need to build a synergy. Is there a particular synergy design that you guys can recommend?

On your other design, Brett brings up a good point about pattern control. You had better know if the woofer beams at all at the xo frequency so you make sure the directivity matches the horn ok. To explain, at say 30 degrees off axis you don't want the frequency response curve to have a sudden change at the cross over frequency. My horn's directivity falls off pretty smoothly at 500-700 hz, so by 500, it matches the woofer which has no directivity at 500hz. Since your woofer is a 15", it probably will beam a little at 500hz though.

As badman pointed out, it is fair to say that my speakers don't necessarily qualify as "high spl" compared to the output capabilities of most horn systems. I would argue that in any reasonable size domestic room, you don't need that capability. I'm only sending 2 watts max to the horns, but at 110dB/1w/1m, that's enough to make it more than loud enough.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:01 AM   #109
camplo is offline camplo
diyAudio Member

I was able to audition some altec horns today, and I can't go back now. Being that I can't cross lower than 500hz I don't see a need for a coaxial CD, which brings the Radian 950PB up to the front, being that the name came recommended and it covers the intended frequency range. The chosen horn seems to be able to load to 500hz (according to GM's calculations), though lacking directivity at that lower note, its still about the best I'll do for a decent price. The Acoustic Elegance was chosen for its specs not its name, so no reason to change. I think I've finally reached a conclusion, The only thing I want to study now is construction philosophy. I might do something weird and use a microphone stand to mount the horn to make it easily adjustable for the listener, who knows....
Old 17th March 2019, 10:42 AM   #110
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Surely it would be too heavy for a microphone stand.

In any case, I think a three point mounting makes more sense.

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!