Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2019, 12:10 AM   #1011
Ro808 is online now Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplo View Post
How can MTM be a favorable config when the woofers are spaced farther apart vs say a TMM. When ctc is of two drivers producing the same freq. range, and the wavelength becomes shorter than the distance of the ctc, are there not negative side affects?
Naturally yes, but it depends on several factors, i.e. the horn (preferably wide), the room in which the speakers will be used, placement in the room, listening distance/position etc. etc.

Along the thread many large format studio monitors in MTM configuration were posted.

- MTMs have a narrower dispersion which will reduce floor and ceiling bounce.
- The major drawback is bad vertical off-axis response (off-axis nulls).
- MTMs are best used on axis in the vertical plane, whereas a MT generally produces a wider vertical dispersion pattern.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th June 2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:29 AM   #1012
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonsgr View Post
does the same (bayma vs faital) follows the woofers? I was aiming for a 15p80nd (got some bad comments for the 2226h I had as a first choice) but do faital get better quality sound and response?
thanks
The 15P80Nd is a very nice driver, but also quite expensive.
In my country (and for HiFi applications), I would buy a pair of 15FH500s instead of one 15P80Nd and still have some money left over.

I guess the Beyma would crush the old 2226H though.

Last edited by Ro808; 17th June 2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:35 AM   #1013
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
That might be an issue.
However, some time ago I went through a box with prototype Avantgarde horns, about 20 years old. Some of these were Nextel coated, others finished with glossy coatings. The Nextel coated horns were neither sticky nor scratched.

For what it's worth, most people I know prefer the sound of Nextel coated horns.
OK, don't remember who made the stuff I shot in the '60s, '70s down here in the Deep South, though thinking it was Atlanta's own Zac-Lac [the folks that created Richard Petty Racing Blue], just remember how messy and the PITA it was to do right. I searched for 'fur', 'fuzz', 'peach fuzz' paint to no avail.

Regardless, have wondered what type coating it is [do like the looks of it] and pretty sure I've never been exposed to Nextel coated horns/whatever, but if humidity affects it, won't work around here except indoors with a good A/C system.

GM
Old 17th June 2019, 12:51 AM   #1014
diyAudio Member

I didn't even know Nextel was already available in the 60s.
It seems likely the compound has improved throughout the years.
On the other hand, we've seen some badly damaged Nextel coated cabs from the 90s and 2000s.

I also like the looks, but not if it's all ragged, jagged and sticky

Last edited by Ro808; 17th June 2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:54 AM   #1015
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
OK, don't remember who made the stuff I shot in the '60s, '70s down here in the Deep South, though thinking it was Atlanta's own Zac-Lac [the folks that created Richard Petty Racing Blue], just remember how messy and the PITA it was to do right. I searched for 'fur', 'fuzz', 'peach fuzz' paint to no avail.

Regardless, have wondered what type coating it is [do like the looks of it] and pretty sure I've never been exposed to Nextel coated horns/whatever, but if humidity affects it, won't work around here except indoors with a good A/C system.

GM
I’ve seen it on bike builds from the 60’s we called it velvet paint, not sure who made it though.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:59 AM   #1016
diyAudio Member

"From rocket boosters and racecars to industrial furnaces and fuel cells, 3M™ Nextel™ Ceramic Fibers and Textiles help enable and protect critical equipment ..."
Old 17th June 2019, 01:15 AM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
Iíve seen it on bike builds from the 60ís we called it velvet paint, not sure who made it though.
Yep, that's what I mostly shot the suede on.

Anyway, sheesh! Forgot to search 'suede' ...... went straight to it! Dulux [knew it was an oddball name], though appears to have changed [been 'toned down'] and they have velvet too, though not sure if it's the brand from way back when.

Either one might be worth a try on a relatively coarse finish like the old alum. Altecs, plus water based now, so should have no humidity issues: Dulux Design Suede Effect

GM
Old 17th June 2019, 01:28 AM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro808 View Post
"From rocket boosters and racecars to industrial furnaces and fuel cells, 3M™ Nextel™ Ceramic Fibers and Textiles help enable and protect critical equipment ..."
Yeah, just read up on it, so probably seen plenty of it in my time ['67-94] doing projects for military, aerospace, blast furnaces, et al, as well as being around all manner of pro racing for most of my life and got the poor hearing to prove it .

GM
Old 17th June 2019, 02:04 AM   #1019
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman bob View Post
Iíve seen it on bike builds from the 60ís we called it velvet paint, not sure who made it though.
The 60s... when the machines made music.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:13 AM   #1020
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

From post 1001:
Quote:
The cone is different though, especially around the dustcap.
Moreover, despite its generous X-max, the Beyma wouldn't appreciate port tuning at 22kHz.

They pretend to use TAD, but that presumably applies to the comp. driver.
The only TAD woofer with a similar cone/dustcap is the TL-1602, but that one has a foam surround instead of a triple roll.
Well, depending on how you photograph it even the cone center looks quite similar. And it seems to use the same dustcap.

And I fully agree with you that a port tuning at 22 kHz wouldn't make any sense ! That would not even work with a superexpensive TAD.

Mine use a tuning frequency around 30 Hz BTW.

Regarding the "generous x-max": From the voice-coil overhang I regard them as having an x-max of +- 5 mm. Which is still sufficient IMO. I strongly believe that a two-way speaker is seriously underdimensioned if its woofer regularily exceeds +- 3mm of excursion.

And the ones on the Model 5 are definitley not TAD or JBL drivers because they are lacking that typical brushed front of the basket.

It could be that these woofers are indeed built by Beyma but that they are a custom build.

Regards

Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bey_15lx.jpg (739.8 KB, 212 views)

Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high spl, low distortion with a 2-way?Hide this!Advertise here!