Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small La Scala Tutorial for noob
Small La Scala Tutorial for noob
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2019, 01:29 PM   #1
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys
Came across this article it being scale down interest & intriques me. All that I could find is that it only handles 500 hz down to 100 hz. Donít know what woofer was used. My question is, is it the woofer choosen that dictates the upper cut off frequency or is it the folds & the cut out slot that dictates it ?

Thank you all

Sorry Guys, Hereís the link : https://volvotreter.de/downloads/lascala10inch.pdf
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:41 PM   #2
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

The horn geometry, in this case
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:04 PM   #3
moray james is offline moray james  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you are looking to squeeze a little more top end response you could add corner reflectors as used in the Peavey FH1 (these are at the end of the first section of expansion where the wave front turns from horizontal to forward) but you will not gain a lot. What is your intend end use with this home HiFi or PA?
Old 4th March 2019, 12:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys
Thank You. Yes Moray thinking for using if for home. The size of this bin makes it managable. Yes would be great if I can move up the cut off frequency of 500hz.
Old 4th March 2019, 05:10 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Donít know what woofer was used.
Have you tried asking him?

GM
Old 4th March 2019, 05:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Did send an email GM but no reply yet

Thks

Hi Guys A little advice. After searching through Google I managed to find a guy whose using the Goldwood GW-1058 for this bass bin. Problem for me is shipping cost. Was looking at some Eminence 10 inch woofer which I can purchase locally & would appreciate if you guys can recommend a version that I can use in replacement.

Thank you kindly

Sorry guys, just found the Eminence Basslite to be the closest match to the GW-1058 but in Eminence specs it says not applicable for seal box. Am I missing something, thought that low QTS is good for seal box .

Thanks again

Hi Guys Managed to get in touch with the designer of this Mini La Scala. I was seeking for his advice about upper crossover frequency & this is the formula he gived : 2x Fs/Qes. Now Iíve tried this on a number of 10 inch woofers & none of them can make it to 400 hz. All the while I thought upper frequency was dictated by the design of the woofer & we just work within these parameters. Question pls : Is this formula specific to or does it applies to all horn loaded bass bins ?

Thank you all
Old 12th March 2019, 04:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry guys, just found the Eminence Basslite to be the closest match to the GW-1058 but in Eminence specs it says not applicable for seal box. Am I missing something, thought that low QTS is good for seal box .

Thanks again
??? They recommend it, but is medium Qts: https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_SC10_16.pdf
GM
Old 12th March 2019, 04:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

No GM found out that he uses an Eminence EM 10-100.
The Goldwood was what I found Googling that someone was using it in this enclosure.
Old 12th March 2019, 05:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

All driver box loading bandwidth [BW] is defined by its lower, upper mass corner per T/S including horns as proven by both D.B. Keele and Prof. Marshall Leach: http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/...TS%20Paras.pdf

Flc = Fs*Qts'/2

Fhm = 2*Fs/Qts'

Qts' = Qts + any added series resistance [Rs]: HiFi Loudspeaker Design

Note that Prof. Leach chose to use Qes' in lieu of Qts' in his similar paper: https://leachlegacy.ece.gatech.edu/p.../HornPaper.pdf

I added the series resistance since it can be significantly raise Qes/Qts, narrowing box loading BW when powered by SET tube or similar.

GM
Old 12th March 2019, 05:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No GM found out that he uses an Eminence EM 10-100.
The Goldwood was what I found Googling that someone was using it in this enclosure.
Then why the Basslite question?

Anyway, no [EM] 10-100 at Eminence, though did find this, which gets 'close enough' to 400 Hz based on Qes: www.selfmadehifi.de

GM

Small La Scala Tutorial for noobHide this!Advertise here!