Small La Scala Tutorial for noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow very nice .

Hi Fredi
May I ask what’s causing the dip at 400hz ? Is it the design of the bin regardless of woofer used ? As suggested by GM, would adding the corner 45deg wedge at the corner when the horn turns 90 deg towards the exit help flatten the respond somewhat ?

Thank you

I don't think little reflectors would help. Those graphs are power response and the on-axis response will be rising vs the drop in power. I think the flat part of La Scala's path where there's no expansion is the cause of some shelving.

not all is known how something will respond til its built and measured.

with a tiny horn as such, I would push it back into a corner.

I used the "Edgar" sim from the Klipsch forums and not sure if the flat portion would be that long -?

0UlJVGH.jpg

Here's the model - I'll have to squint and look at it again

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-22723-13819455497062.png

Last edited:
GM is better at this stuff than myself - but FWIW - here's 10FW64 in a 0.66 scale University Classic, sitting in a corner - it won't be real little nor go deep but probably would be pretty darn loud and clear

I reduced the back chamber in these sims down to a ridiculously low 5 liters so it would handle 40v in its passband without exceeding xmax - that's 135dB without taking in effects of compression.

in a corner, its 50% efficient

Attachments

• A449E60D-5480-40D3-9B1A-EFBA06AB2491.jpeg
    A449E60D-5480-40D3-9B1A-EFBA06AB2491.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 111
Well your a cleverman GM. The terrible thing about W10 even when I set update to be notified it will still update by itself & I’ve noticed the more it updates the more protection that I see W10 putting in. Sigh

Thanks GM

Whats the width of the reflex box & thickness of panels used ?

Thank you kindly again Freddi.

Btw Freddi, why do you call it reflex when the loading looks like a short back loaded horn. Oops sorry, does Id depth represents the internal width of the box ?

Thank you

@sumotan - Unfortunately, SIZE can matter with loudspeaker cabinets and especially when downsizing from something functional. When going down in size, LF cutoff is pushed upwards as are effects in the response and one can end up with a cute looking cabinet with no real merit and perhaps with more effort than something larger and usable.

Look at the "stubby horn vent" ~28 liter system below vs a simple liter reflex and then a 28 liter simple vent reflex. The system the 28 liter stubby vent example was derived from was a design by "RCA-Fan" (Bill Woods is a big fan of RCA's Harry F. Olson). At full size that vent puts a little bit of "hit" into the response - nothing like JBL's Harkness which had a small chamber and sizable back horn).

The little stubby horn vent system (one name for them back in the 1950's/60s) moves that rise in response from the "hit" region up to where its really not good (imo).

The huge Vitavox Thunderbolt looks pretty good at 0.7 scale as starts out big and has a usable 1/4 wave path after scaling.

So you might pick up on a pretty big cabinet to scale downwards - or make a new design.

I showed some of the previous sims of real small cabinets in the corner - to smooth them somewhat and try to get down to around 100Hz.

cSCTtDB.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I never said that Hornspresp cant work with W10, Im block from downloading Hornsresp & some other programs as well. Can’t explain why but it’s happening on my laptop.

Cheers

Oops! Another late, late over night 'senior moment'. :(

Hmm, I've had this every time [install and update] since I 'downgraded' from 2k Pro to 7 pro 64, telling me it looks like something from a 'nasty' site, but allows me to override it and DL anyway.

GM

btw sumotan - if you cut William Cowan's 2-19 sub in half down the middle for one driver, the response looks reasonably good ( at little peaky on the bottom) - it would like more back chamber volume - so you could increase the cabinet height to get more back volume without increasing build complexity. GM - do you think William's assumption of the corner effect to still apply out to 1M? that would smooth things - I think.

8K6Lvs2.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.