Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Quick question for the experts
Quick question for the experts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2019, 07:30 PM   #21
denibeni is offline denibeni
diyAudio Member

Ok, if the Wilmslow crossover is 2nd order electrical (i think it is) on the low- and high-pass, then i say it's is a very rough one.
The 0.9mH low-pass coil combined with the 20uF cap is simply does not provide any baffle-step compensation and the tweeter high-pass combined with the L-pad does not attenuate enough in this situation.
Not surprisingly, it didn't work well.
Old 3rd March 2019, 09:02 PM   #22
giosblue is offline giosblue
diyAudio Member

There are two coils, one is 0.9mh and the other is 0.6mh?
To say it didn't work well is an understatement. It is terrible.
I don't have the knowledge and expertise to sort this out, I just want to buy the bits and fit them.. The AE crossover is a 2nd order 12db octave and it crosses over @ 2.5 khz, whatever that means.

One good thing, I should be able to get these drive units working in these cabinets. If the AE crossover works as well as it does, then a tailor made one should be even better?

Last edited by giosblue; 3rd March 2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:51 PM   #23
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post
I don't have the knowledge and expertise to sort this out, I just want to buy the bits and fit them.
If you asked the supplier to design crossovers specifically for your Scanspeak drivers then they should replace them if not working as intended.

Please update us after contacting the suppliers and hearing what they have to say.
Old 4th March 2019, 06:10 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ok, update as promised. I sent Wilmslow a picture of the x/overs they provided and asked them was this the correct one for the two drivers I was using. The reply was was.

Sorry about that, to be honest I'm not sure what has happened, as the design looks spot on this end.
Anyway they are obviously not doing the job they were intending to do, so please send them back and we will either sort them out or refund the cost.

Wilmslow have been in business a long and are very experienced in what they do, however there response does leave me a little uneasy. If the design of these x/overs are spot on, why do they sound so bad and why do the AE x/overs that were not designed for the Scanspeak drivers sound so much better? Anyway I'm having them collected and they are going to take a look at them. My concern is, suppose they can't find anything wrong?
They said they would refund me, but then I would have two expensive Scanspeak units working with a x/over that wasn't designed for them. And who in their right mind would spend over 600 on top quality drivers and then compromise their performance with an inferior x/over.

The plot thickens.

Ron

Old 4th March 2019, 06:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default One I found n the internet.

This is a crossover the same drive units I have, how does this look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ellam-flex-3-small.jpg (94.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: png ellam-flex-6600_XO-layout-wiring-small.png (84.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 4th March 2019, 10:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You should be looking at the R3004/662000 version where the 10uF cap is changed to 8.2 uF and the attenuation resistors have different values. Scroll down this link to find the correct component values:

Ellam-FLEX

(Note that this crossover has been designed to suit your drivers, but specifically when mounted in the Ellam FLEX enclosure, so may not produce the same result in your boxes.)

Again, I would wait to see what your crossover supplier comes up with.
Old 13th March 2019, 02:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Mine is the D3004/66000 tweeter. Anyway, the boys at Wilmslow have had a look and they agree that it is not right and they are going to sort it out for me.
I'll let you know when it's sorted.
Old 13th March 2019, 06:13 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

My mistake - I got confused about the tweeter

I wouldn't expect Wilmslow to come up with a replacement crossover quite as complex as the one you illustrated, but hopefully it will work to your satisfaction.

Looking forward to you reporting a positive outcome!
Old 13th March 2019, 06:19 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The plan is to send me one crossover and see how that works, if it's ok they do another one.
Old 7th April 2019, 05:29 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok folks, sorry about the delay to the update. The x/o Wilmslow did was a mile of. They checked it and thought it was spot on. Anyway, I sent them back and it turns out the Scanspeak have changed the spec on the15w8530koo and they agreed it was wrong. They sent me new x/o which were much better but still not right, not hadsgood as the AE x/o.so, for the moment I'm using them. I have also changed the cabinets, I bought some Wharfedale Diamond 11.1s and I have fitted the Scanspeak drives into them.They are really nice boxes and with a couple of mods everything is a perfect fit.. However, having done all this, I can't help thinking they would sound even better with a x/o specifically designed the the Scanspeak drivers and the new box. This is not something I can do. I have seen a crossover on the internet for this combo but it looks a bit complicated and bulky. Given that Scanspeak drive units are very popular with the diy guys, there must be some who can help me?

ron

Quick question for the expertsHide this!Advertise here!