Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Quick question for the experts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2019, 04:18 PM   #11
giosblue is offline giosblue
diyAudio Member

the dive units and moving the wadding has helped, but it"s not he cure.
It just doesn't sound right I can't put my finger on it
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:26 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post
It just doesn't sound right I can't put my finger on it
Perhaps you were spoiled by the sound of the unadulterated Radiance 1s!

Quote:
Quote from WHAT HI-FI magazine >
"The first thing that strikes you about the Radiance 1s is the exceptional amount of bass that they produce, considering their relatively compact dimensions."
Old 2nd March 2019, 07:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok! for those that are interested about my disastrous foray into self build speakers here is the latest update. I sealed the drive units and moved the wadding around and there was a slight improvement.
However, the sound was still awful, it's all mid range, they sound like a huge transistor radio.
The efficiency ha increased by a least 6db, possibly more. They are flat out at 10 o-clock, with the old drivers and x/over it was more like 1 0-clock/ 2 o-clock on the volume control. A massive increase in efficiency. Pink noise tests are very harsh, never heard pink noise like this before. In summery the upgrade has provided me with a VERY efficient, but very harsh sounding loudspeaker. So, I put the old x/over back and the Acoustic Energy mid/base and it is now silky smooth, the mid range is slightly recessed, but it is a very musical and foot tapping sound.
Something must be wrong with the x/over. How could two top class drive units sound so bad?
The reason I swapped out he original tweeter and replaced with the Scanspeak 3004/66000 was because I always felt the top end was a tad dull. The upgrade to the Scanspeak tweeter has fixed that, but it has effected the mid range slightly. I thougt that buy buying the Scanspeak mid bass and ax/over the match I would have really nice sounding bookshelf speaker. And what have I got? the worst speaker I have ever heard and that is no exaggeration..
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:53 PM   #14
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

I haven't looked up curves on the woofers you tried, but it's possible they have big cone breakup resonances in the midrange, well above their levels in the woofer frequency range. Some of the fancier wider-band woofers (such as the Acoustic Elegance and some others) can have quite a bit of output above their targeted band, so need the crossover to be adapted more aggressively to not feed that band into the woofers.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I'm going to give the supplier a ring tomorrow. I asked them to provide two drive units and a crossovers the match my existing tweeters. I know the cabinet is not exactly the same size, but it is within a few mm. Mine 320x185x250 The cabinet Wilmslow use is 330x200x255.
So not that much difference, there is no way it's the cabinet that's at fault. This is a really poor speaker. The thing is, it's not just that the sound is a bit bright or the bass lacking a bit.. These are so way off you would not know where to start with a critical assessment.
What I can't understand is the massive increase in efficiency. I'll let you know how I get one.

I've been a hi-fi hobbyist since the mid seventies. Never hear anything like these though.

Last edited by giosblue; 3rd March 2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:02 PM   #16
denibeni is offline denibeni
diyAudio Member

So which midwoofers are you using now exactly?
Can you post your crossover schematic?
Old 3rd March 2019, 05:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ok, further update, just to recap. I was using Acoustic Energy Radiance Ones with a Scanspeak 3004/66000 tweeter. This worked fine, but the tweeter was so good I decided to upgrade the mid/bass driver from the pressed alloy to Scanspeak 15w8530koo. So I ordered a pair of Scanspeak mid/bass units, with a x/over to match my existing Scanspeak 3004/6000 tweeters.
I fitted these and the sound was as described in previous posts. Awful. So put the speakers back to were they were before I started and everything was fine. Anyway, I decided to put the Scanspeak mid/bass drivers back in with the the original Acoustic Energy x/overs, and guess what, It's fine, they work really well with the AE x/over. The bass is has should be, better the the AE alloy drivers if anything. So there you go, the problem is the x/over. Here is a pic of the x/over and the AE x/over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0549[1].JPG (661.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0531[1].JPG (793.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by giosblue; 3rd March 2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 3rd March 2019, 05:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The crossovers are entirely different (you just have to look at the capacitor values) so no wonder they give wildly different results!

The supplier may have made a mistake when they designed the crossover to match the Scanspeak 15W/5530 to the Scanspeak D3004/6600.

They are very helpful so please contact them for advice.

I've linked to details of your drivers so that all can see what you are working with!

Scanspeak 15W/8530K00 MidWoofer - Revelator Range

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/do...004-660000.pdf
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks Galu, these mean nothing to me, I have no idea about electronics and x/overs.
All I know is that the AE one works and the other doesn't.

Wimslow are very experienced, I bought a pair of Kef Reference Ones from them when they were in Wilmslow.many moons ago. There must have been a slip up,somewhere
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The day I visited the original Wilmslow location all those years ago I had the speaker demonstration room and switching facility all to myself. The staff just left me to get on with it! I was like a kid in a candy shop! I remember that of all the speaker kits I auditioned that day, the Wilmslow Audio version of the LS3/5a sounded the best to my ears. I now regret not buying the kit, but I did go home with ready assembled cabinets for my Wharfedale 12" drivers instead!

Quick question for the expertsHide this!Advertise here!