Quick question for the experts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, if the Wilmslow crossover is 2nd order electrical (i think it is) on the low- and high-pass, then i say it's is a very rough one.
The 0.9mH low-pass coil combined with the 20uF cap is simply does not provide any baffle-step compensation and the tweeter high-pass combined with the L-pad does not attenuate enough in this situation.
Not surprisingly, it didn't work well.

There are two coils, one is 0.9mh and the other is 0.6mh?
To say it didn't work well is an understatement. It is terrible.
I don't have the knowledge and expertise to sort this out, I just want to buy the bits and fit them.. The AE crossover is a 2nd order 12db octave and it crosses over @ 2.5 khz, whatever that means.

One good thing, I should be able to get these drive units working in these cabinets. If the AE crossover works as well as it does, then a tailor made one should be even better?

Last edited:
Ok, update as promised. I sent Wilmslow a picture of the x/overs they provided and asked them was this the correct one for the two drivers I was using. The reply was was.

Sorry about that, to be honest I'm not sure what has happened, as the design looks spot on this end.
Anyway they are obviously not doing the job they were intending to do, so please send them back and we will either sort them out or refund the cost.

Wilmslow have been in business a long and are very experienced in what they do, however there response does leave me a little uneasy. If the design of these x/overs are spot on, why do they sound so bad and why do the AE x/overs that were not designed for the Scanspeak drivers sound so much better? Anyway I'm having them collected and they are going to take a look at them. My concern is, suppose they can't find anything wrong?
They said they would refund me, but then I would have two expensive Scanspeak units working with a x/over that wasn't designed for them. And who in their right mind would spend over £600 on top quality drivers and then compromise their performance with an inferior x/over.

The plot thickens.

Ron

One I found n the internet.

This is a crossover the same drive units I have, how does this look?

Attachments

• ellam-flex-3-small.jpg
    ellam-flex-3-small.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 181
  • ellam-flex-6600_XO-layout-wiring-small.png
    ellam-flex-6600_XO-layout-wiring-small.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 180
You should be looking at the R3004/662000 version where the 10uF cap is changed to 8.2 uF and the attenuation resistors have different values. Scroll down this link to find the correct component values:

Ellam-FLEX

(Note that this crossover has been designed to suit your drivers, but specifically when mounted in the Ellam FLEX enclosure, so may not produce the same result in your boxes.)

Again, I would wait to see what your crossover supplier comes up with.

My mistake - I got confused about the tweeter :confused:

I wouldn't expect Wilmslow to come up with a replacement crossover quite as complex as the one you illustrated, but hopefully it will work to your satisfaction.

Looking forward to you reporting a positive outcome!

Ok folks, sorry about the delay to the update. The x/o Wilmslow did was a mile of. They checked it and thought it was spot on. Anyway, I sent them back and it turns out the Scanspeak have changed the spec on the15w8530koo and they agreed it was wrong. They sent me new x/o which were much better but still not right, not hadsgood as the AE x/o.so, for the moment I'm using them. I have also changed the cabinets, I bought some Wharfedale Diamond 11.1s and I have fitted the Scanspeak drives into them.They are really nice boxes and with a couple of mods everything is a perfect fit.. However, having done all this, I can't help thinking they would sound even better with a x/o specifically designed the the Scanspeak drivers and the new box. This is not something I can do. I have seen a crossover on the internet for this combo but it looks a bit complicated and bulky. Given that Scanspeak drive units are very popular with the diy guys, there must be some who can help me?

ron

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The part missing from two-dimensional crossovers like the Wilmslow, is compensation for the acoustic character of your speakers. Now, these things shouldn't always be equalised, but rather designed right with the speaker. However, I think you should run an EQ over it, leaving the crossover in place.

I have also changed the cabinets . . .
Ron, shoehorning Scanspeak drivers into commercial cabinets designed for entirely different drivers is not the path to audio contentment!

I wonder what you hoped to gain by changing from the inappropriate Acoustic Energy cabinets to the inappropriate Wharfedale cabinets. :confused:

The correct procedure is to design and build a cabinet and crossover specifically to match your Scanspeak drivers.

A DIY cabinet may not look as smart as your commercially built ones, but at least it will allow your drivers to perform optimally!

Can a couple of mm make a lot of difference?
Not if you stay close to the required cabinet volume. However, you have no knowledge of the correct dimensions of the optimum ported cabinet for your Scanspeak driver, so have no means of comparison.

In other terms, the cabinet of the Diamond 11.1 is tuned to match its original Wharfedale driver. What alterations to the tuning/cabinet volume have you made to match the parameters of your replacement Scanspeak driver?

I'll stress again that the cabinet must be designed to match your Scanspeak driver!

Attachments

• Diamond 11.1.jpg
    Diamond 11.1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 75
Not if you stay close to the required cabinet volume. However, you have no knowledge of the correct dimensions of the optimum ported cabinet for your Scanspeak driver, so have no means of comparison.

In other terms, the cabinet of the Diamond 11.1 is tuned to match its original Wharfedale driver. What alterations to the tuning/cabinet volume have you made to match the parameters of your replacement Scanspeak driver?

I'll stress again that the cabinet must be designed to match your Scanspeak driver!

The ports size in some of the kits I've seen for the 15w8530koo are 50x145 .Mine is 50x180. Not sure if that would have significant effect on the sound?

The Revelator-4R is optimised for the 15W/4531G00 Revelator midbass and not for your 15W/8530K00 whose parameters will be different.

The Ellam-FLEX has a volume of 12.2 litres and port 50mm diameter by 145mm long.

The Wharfedale has a volume of 11.1 litres and port 50mm diameter by 180mm long.

If the Wharfedale cabinet sounds good to you then carry on, you certainly can't easily make its volume larger!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.