Simple high efficiency two-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Been looking a bit into building a high efficiency two-way with a 1st order filter. In other words, as simple as possible.
Are there any good HE drivers out there that works well with a 1st order filter?
I see Zu Audio are doing it with a 10" wideband/full-range.

Maybe a Dayton PM220 wideband woofer with a Dayton AMTPRO-4 or something?

Any suggestions? :)

Last edited:
That is a really tall order, especially if you want it to sound good. Your proposed drivers will definitely not result in good sound. For one thing, the AMTPRO has a rapidly falling response above 10k, so unless you are partially deaf you will notice that.

A first order filter rolls off very slowly. You will not be able to use a "tweeter" and likely not a CD+horn either, because you won't be able to attenuate the signal enough before resonance. It might be possible to use a very large horn with a 2" CD that can go down to 500Hz or so, and then cross it over to a high output 10" around 1.5kHz, but I suspect this is not what you are after.

So you are left using two high efficiency wideband drivers. I would choose a 6" to 10" high SPL fullranger with whizzer cone and a 12" pro audio woofer, and cross around 800Hz.

Keep in mind making the crossover more and more "simple" at some point has some diminishing returns. How will you account for baffle step, or other FR irregularities? Why not just build a good high SPL fullranger and have a sub kick in at 150Hz, or whereever the fullranger low end starts to roll off. You get a crossover for free in that case...

AMTPRO has a rapidly falling response above 10k

Can't hear anything above 13k so not an issue of me.

It might be possible to use a very large horn with a 2" CD that can go down to 500Hz or so, and then cross it over to a high output 10" around 1.5kHz, but I suspect this is not what you are after.

Zu Audio crosses a 2" inch Radian 950 electrically at 7 khz or something. What the actual acoustic XO point ends up being is another story. But that's what I'm interested in exploring.

How will you account for baffle step, or other FR irregularities?

Yeah, baffle step would need to be handled somehow. Some FR irregularities are just fine. Excessive FR irregularities equals bad driver choice in my opinion.

Keep in mind making the crossover more and more "simple" at some point has some diminishing returns. Why not just build a good high SPL fullranger and have a sub kick in at 150Hz, or whereever the fullranger low end starts to roll off. You get a crossover for free in that case...

Ignoring the issue of baffle-step for a minute. Why not go for a widebander and a 1st order tweeter with a high XO instead of a fullranger?

Last edited:
1st order 2 way

This is such an alluring concept at first, but VERY difficult to pull off correctly. There have been many articles and attempts since the beginning of the dynamic speaker.

Three (minimum) conditions must be met. The woofer and tweeter must have a minimum 2 octaves of flat overlap at the intended crossover frequency in the frequency domain. Three is better. Both drivers must exhibit very smooth natural roll off characteristics at both ends of their operating range in the frequency domain and both need to be aligned in the vertical plane in terms of the operating acoustic center(s).

Both will very likely require Zobel parallel circuits and or resonance damping circuits to be able to yield flat impedance and frequency response. And that is just the beginning!

Not saying it can't be done... but once you meet the above criteria you may be surprised at how small you woofer and how large your tweeter (HF) driver need to be. Also, as soon as you add any series crossover components you will likely end up with 2nd order (or even higher) acoustic slopes where you do not necessarily want them frequency wise.

This is such an alluring concept at first, but VERY difficult to pull off correctly. There have been many articles and attempts since the beginning of the dynamic speaker.

Three (minimum) conditions must be met. The woofer and tweeter must have a minimum 2 octaves of flat overlap at the intended crossover frequency in the frequency domain. Three is better. Both drivers must exhibit very smooth natural roll off characteristics at both ends of their operating range in the frequency domain and both need to be aligned in the vertical plane in terms of the operating acoustic center(s).

Both will very likely require Zobel parallel circuits and or resonance damping circuits to be able to yield flat impedance and frequency response. And that is just the beginning!

Not saying it can't be done... but once you meet the above criteria you may be surprised at how small you woofer and how large your tweeter (HF) driver need to be. Also, as soon as you add any series crossover components you will likely end up with 2nd order (or even higher) acoustic slopes where you do not necessarily want them frequency wise.

Thanks for valuable feedback! It seems my impression that a 1st order speaker was a whole lot easier than higher order ones was quite wrong...
Thing is, I've tried a lot of two-way speaker combinations using an active filter, and never got them to sound "right". Thought a 1st order passive with the right drivers would be hard to f**k up :rolleyes:

Here's some inspiration 8008-CORNER and Vifa C20WH

That Vifa C20WH one looks amazing! Shame you cannot get that driver anywhere.. I wonder if there is any good alternative driver?

How about scaling up xrk971's 10F/RSS225 to PRV 5MR and two RSS 225?

Not what I would call high efficiency :) Although the 10F is an amazing driver! Maybe just do an array of those...

Never heard them but how about these - Seas A26 Kit

I've actually used that woofer before. Excellent driver! But not high efficiency (per my definition).

one could make a Druid (or whatever) style cabinet with Eminence's current B102 plus a Morel Cat 37-8 dome with only a 5.6uF cap as the crossover. It would be moderate in efficiency. Box/pipe volume would probably best be somewhat larger than the Druid and around 1.7 - 2 cubic feet

Diuid sized pipe with only lining and old spec Eminence B102 - it would be somewhat smoother with light fill

adbszIK.jpg

comparison of the orignal low Qts B102 to the present model:

thrVQJG.gif

First-order filters are difficult. The drivers need a wide range where they can overlap and maintain power handling, avoid peaks in the frequency response, etc.

You can get something reasonable with a Faital Pro 10HX230 and a single component for each driver, although power handling is limited and the phase curves don't line up fantastically.
I found better results by going to 2nd order filters - more power handling, and better frequency response.

Sensitivity came in at about 97dB@1w.

Chris

If you listen at what I consider moderate levels, with 5.6uF a Morel CAT378's dome can be seen moving

42 liter pipe w. B102 - a bit bigger wouldn't hurt - don't forget to think about the amp output impedance

a classic Dynaco A25/A40XL in good shape would be nice

E7ZLOyx.jpg

nlsIy2F.png

Last edited:
Maybe a Dayton PM220 wideband woofer with a Dayton AMTPRO-4 or something?

Any suggestions? :)

-baffle-step loss is going to kill your eff. with that combo. :eek:

Yeah, a suggestion:

18Sound | ND1480A

XT1464

The Raptor ... a 10" MTM

and at about 20" wide with a volume around 3 cubic feet (sealed):

15W500

Target filter should be similar to the Spica TC 60 (though an octave lower):

Spica TC-60 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

-probably a box-on-stand aesthetic similar to TonyG's (though not vented), and with a bit of backward "tilt" to aim the midbass to the listener, perhaps more like the Avantgarde Zero (but without the tweeter):

Attachments

• index_10.jpg
    index_10.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 745
  • avantgarde_zero_1_2.jpg
    avantgarde_zero_1_2.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
one could make a Druid (or whatever) style cabinet with Eminence's current B102 plus a Morel Cat 37-8 dome with only a 5.6uF cap as the crossover

Very interesting to see the differences between the old one and the new here!

why not buy a Dynaco A25 or A35?

You mean buy and forget, or pulling some drivers from it?

If you listen at what I consider moderate levels, with 5.6uF a Morel CAT378's dome can be seen moving

Very nice curve with the cap on that Morel! How does it compare to the Seas DXT I wonder?

Defo, ever considered good coaxial? Tannoy, or something cheaper, B&C...plenty coaxials to choose from. Pro speakers typically have higher efficiency.

If you have deep pockets the Beyma pro coaxials, as identified by @adason, may do the job

You can get something reasonable with a Faital Pro 10HX230
Chris

I've been looking at the DIY Sound Group Volt 10 coax. Seems pretty nice for the money, and I get a free lunch with a finished crossover.

Those Faital coaxials look quite nice tho. Even if the curves are quite smoothed and low resolution. Couldn't find any unofficial measurements of them.
Are there any finished projects / crossovers for one of these coaxes anywhere I wonder? Preferably one that includes BSC.

Too large a system for me unfortunately :)

I was actually thinking of building a TV-bench with integrated speakers on each side. Something like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.39.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.39.25.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.