Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ceramic 4-way 1st ORDER (bang for the buck)
Ceramic 4-way 1st ORDER (bang for the buck)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2019, 09:51 AM   #31
MasterSplinterJG54 is offline MasterSplinterJG54
diyAudio Member

I would like to say that posting on this great forum helps me get going much quicker.
I have made my last post just minutes ago, and by looking at the post above, Im thinking it will be better to lower the -3db symmetrical crossover point between the midrange and tweeter down to 3375hz from 4500hz. Pretty Sure I wont compromise the tweeter this way, all while reducing the effect of breakup (which is visual btw on the graph) and beaming of the rather beefy 95cm2 midrange driver.

Yes Yes Correct?

Last edited by MasterSplinterJG54; 23rd February 2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:23 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Like this:

Last edited by MasterSplinterJG54; 23rd February 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:30 AM   #33
denibeni is offline denibeni
diyAudio Member

It's great to see some factory frequency responses with your targets, but if you place the drivers on a non-infinite baffle, you get completely different curves.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:34 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

^^ Yes thanks, this is given for any system, any drivers, so it doesn't and shouldn't change the world.

A). Exactly for this reason I have closely matched the sensitivities, so the baffle loss/gains wouldn't multiply/scale the diffirences as much.

B). I wont make the crossovers until I measure the Drivers installed in MY baffles. These calculations are simply theoritical targets for now, with small deviations possible to align baffle loss / gain, as well as assymetrical crossover points.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:39 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Its quite real to make 500%-1000% profits on this kind of speaker, im sure,

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:53 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denibeni View Post
It's great to see some factory frequency responses with your targets, but if you place the drivers on a non-infinite baffle, you get completely different curves.
I agree it MIGHT NOT be a flat frequency response, not even 0.5db, or 1db close. Im prepared already for that. It will colorate and accent SOME narrow frequency ranges, but:

I will still get away with great sound, even if slightly mismatched spl.
I will still get away with the purest passive audio circuit
It will sound amazing because I will use Hi-end parts to assemble those purest passive circuits, like KZK whiteline caps, and Jantzen WAX-FOIL inductors for voicing and Toroidal for the woofers.
And I still have headroom to use L-pads, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by MasterSplinterJG54; 23rd February 2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:59 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Guys please school me some more on Zobel (independence correction) circuits. Who's got the know-hows?

I figured out the series LCR, and the Zobels seem so simple Im having second thoughts if Im seeing this correctly.

Impedance Equalization Circuit is simply a capacitor (C) and a resistor (Rc) in series, in parallel with the driver.

Formula:
Re = Driver DC Resistance in Ohms
Le = Driver Inductance in mH

Rc = RE x 1.25
C = LE / (Rc x Rc)

The Zobel basically bypasses a proportion of the signal (outside the flat independence zone to which it is tuned) instead of force feeding a driver in the exponentially rising Independence zone?

Last edited by MasterSplinterJG54; 23rd February 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:51 PM   #38
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSplinterJG54 View Post
Ok!! As i understand, I can have a local company like hifi-compass measure the drivers and produce full FRD and ZMA files, having the drivers already mounted in my specific cabinet? Then I use a program to model it, and finally pull the trigger on the crossover values once I got the individual responses figured out.
You are on the right track. Have them give you good FRD and ZMA and start modeling with WINPCD and a 2 way, please..............
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:36 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
You are on the right track. Have them give you good FRD and ZMA and start modelling* with WINPCD and a 2 way, please..............
Thanks! NA just woke up, should have some more feedback by Monday!

I have a feeling you're talking 2-way because your gut is telling you I will end up with sloped system response, with the bass and midrange being juicier without resistors! (especially talking about the ceramic sb26tweeter with low efficiency of 89.5db)
I have intended for a ~1.5db fade towards higher frequencies past lower treble...

90% of the time this speaker set will be fed with Techno/Progressive music playback, in a decently large room to throw a party. SPL of bass and lower mids fall off quicker than the highs as distance to the speaker increases, in my opinion, based on my past 2 designs in this type of use.

This is a fundamental argument for going 4-way in my view. When I push 7" drivers to fuller excursions, even the female voices get distorted, which is around 700-1300hz. Having a long stroke 10" do the pumping allows less excursion demand on the midwoofer, which in turn enhances sound quality at high power by reducing this excursion induced distortion.

This is also the reason why I decided to upgrade from double stacked SB20PFC 8ohm 8 inchers wired in parallel, as I was sure Id make them distort with their average x-max and cheap motors (with good quality). Having a tweeter not catching up by 1db is much less of a problem, especially crossed high as Im doing)

Personally, I rarely get too much bass on home systems, but walking past a hi-efficiency tweeter at full power isn't nearly as pleasant... if you know where I'm going. Different strokes for different folks...

Last edited by MasterSplinterJG54; 23rd February 2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:50 PM   #40
jerome69 is offline jerome69  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Think acoustic slope instead crossover order.
Have fun

Last edited by jerome69; 23rd February 2019 at 02:52 PM.

Ceramic 4-way 1st ORDER (bang for the buck)Hide this!Advertise here!