Soundbars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am still stuck in the era of " Big Bass = Big box + big driver"!

So is everyone else! You can't cheat physics.

The DSP employed shelves the response higher in the bass, and limits the Xmax dynamically as the level increases. The caveat- you really need more power to accomplish this and not clip out the amplifier.

Later,
Wolf

I suppose they boost the higher bass in a sorta peek and then have a cut to remove actual low bass content. thus creating a illusion of more or deeper bass than is actually produced. another method I suppose they use to acheve this is above the bass range they have a bit of a lul and then the mid and treble is louder. that gap, creates a perceived 'deeper bass' as there is **** all higher bass/low mid, or not so much as would be in a real speaker system.

one thing I can guarantee, is that they do not Actually produce Low bass.

try in on real speakers. get a eq, and turn down the real bass. then boost the high bass, doesn't relly have a perceived effect.. then try turning down the frequancys juuust above the bass range, so the bass sorta 'sticksout' or is 'pronounced' suddenly that illusion of bass is created. for some..

what I mean is you can kinda create the illusion of more bass by diminishing the frequancys just above the bass range. the ear precives that 'gap' or 'space' or 'seperation' in a certain way. that makes the 'bass' then seem lower than it is because of the contrast between that bass and the tones higher up.

Those multi-driver soundbars can have surprisingly large summed linear displacement. Elevated electrical power needed for large overpressure from big excursion in small volume is distributed along many discrete motors so in fact power loading capability of whole appliance also can be decent. Some of best soundbars can actually surpass modern 7-inch woofer in real bass productivity and hardly no magic trick are needed. Think line arrays. Top models can steer the beam and some already knows that controlled dispersion is key ingredient to the impression of good sound. However, trained ear very quickly can judge if something is going wrong with the bass. Especially mid-priced models that are trying to aspire to higher level equipment are plagued with brute-force DSP enhancements so it is the reason why people are still reluctant to these three letters. DSP shoud be used with care, in agreement with widely accepted psychoacoustics laws and with physical constraints in mind.

Last edited:
not a soundbar but a small package, devialet phantom gold can digg quite deep

fr_on1530.gif

but it gets a bit stressed at higher outputs, diff between 70db and 90db spl:

dev_90db.gif

some review said a aircraft? I was ?

how does this work.

well.

its basically a ugly pod that looks like a gone wrong hoover with two high powered high pressure sidefireing woofers with plastic glued ontop of them and a tweeter at the front. so no mirical of sound reproduction today. bah.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.