New Tech: LG's sound-emitting OLED screen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is pretty cool - LG's new phones and TVs will use the screen as a speaker, similar to attaching a voice coil "exciter" to a sheet of stiff cardboard or glass to maker a distributed-mode or bending-wave loudspeaker:

The LG G8 has a vibrating OLED screen for a speaker - The Verge

LG phones already have far and away the best DACs in mobile, with 2V output for high impedance headphones. They also have a tiny resonant chamber "boobox" for the bass speaker.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what the sound output from this new phone will be like. It's effectively a two-way loudspeaker with a large format planar tweeter and bass-reflex woofer.

Sony has done this for some time now with their oled tvs, works pretty good i have heard. If frequency response and distortion is good then better center channel speaker can not excist, the dialog comes right from the screen! I wish my lg oled tv had this exciter

Have a search for NXT speakers, was done quite a while back by Cyrus. Originally developed as active noise reduction on large panel structures it was then developed to poduce sound. As you would expect the low frequency depends on the size of the panel, the stiffness of the panel and where the exciters are attached and there is a science to where and how many exciters. The panels tend to provide a wide diffuse sound field, a bit like a dipole so were originally marketed for billboards where you could use the billboard or ceiling tiles as a speaker just by adding an exciter for PA purposes. As the can be built into the structure it was also useful in areas that needed to be cleaned. They do tend to need more power than conventional speakers but as they are diffuse the sound coves a greater area more evenly. I can see the attraction for tv but it would be interesting to see how they get stereo or quasi surround out of it.

True. I suppose its response will be its shape and size and air resistance and etc. I think they call that transit response. I mean how light it is in comparison to its driving force and panel size will denote its functional frequency range.

I did have a nxt flat panel speaker thing. it sounded stupid so I took it to bits to use the amp for a mini project, it was bassically a bit of board with drivers, with no cones; attached to it to vibrate it, I think there where four. I suppose, that it will make more sence to have the a larger coil around the 'vibrating screen' in a similarly shaped magnet eather side or all arectange with all the computer electrics sorta in the middle, but that wouldnt be practical unless it was shallow enough to still allow for ports like usb. be curious to see if it is echited from behind using a mini driver voice coil or abit more like how I suppose a ribbon or planer speaker would work

oh there is a link. I should read that first ideally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.