EV8L Woofer repair - help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,
I recently purchased some used EV8L woofers from Ebay, which I intend to use in an Econowave mini build.

Unfortunately one of woofer arrived well beaten up due to insufficient packing.

The damage was enough that the basket of this woofer was bent resulting in its voice coil being out of alignment and rubbing....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Having repaired a few woofers in my time, rather than trash the unit immediately I got to thinking that I'd straighten out the frame as much as possible and then lift the surround in the area most beat up to see if this would relieve the crush being transferred into the cone and the spider would return the VC to an operational position. This way I could re-glue the surround in its newly realigned position back to the basket and have an operational driver again....

So I used my heat gun to gently warm a narrow wood chisel and I used this to gradually separate the surround about 2/3 of the way around the basket in the worst affected area. This worked a treat. The woofer now operates great.

attachment.php

So I was able to get the remaining yellow glue from the basket with cotton tips soaked in acetone. But this doesn't seem to work so well on the surround and I'm scared of damaging the roll or its adhesion to the woofer cone with the acetone.

So I'm hoping for some help - what's the best way to get the original glue (contact adhesive??) from the underside of the surround?

I'm assuming that re-gluing the surround over the old glue isn't advisable?

Many thanks for reading this far and apologies for the long winded explanation!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• EV8L Comp1.jpg
    EV8L Comp1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 134
  • EV8L Comp2.jpg
    EV8L Comp2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 137
  • EV8L Comp3.jpg
    EV8L Comp3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 133
  • EV8L Comp4.jpg
    EV8L Comp4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 124
  • EV8L Comp5.jpg
    EV8L Comp5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.